Rhye's of Europe Organized Development Thread

Egypt (Mamlukes)-The Power of Mamlukes: Can whip units out. (Slave soldiers) Note: No other civs can use slavery to creat units.

omg no, there MUST be slave military.... unless every civ is getting some industrial supercity?

Maybe +100% military production or reduced anger from the :whipped:.

(reviews notes) The operative idea was to replace corporations with monastic and military orders - the Templars, Hospitallers, Teutonic Knights; and any four of the Benedictines, Franciscans, Dominicans, Jesuits, and Cistercians.

proposed ideas for the military orders: (all competing with each other)
-Templars: barracks and stables give +15% gold (to represent the Templar's role in banking
-Hospitalers: free medic 1 promotion for all units built in the city, units heal an additional 10%/turn in cities w/Hospitalers
-Teutonic Order: free shock promotion for all mounted units, +1 xp from barracks or stables?

for monastic orders: nobody has currently proposed anything beyond their inclusion. I'd argue that all should give a science bonus, due to the importance of monasteries as institutions of higher learning in Medieval Europe, and they might then be specialized to give other bonuses as well - Jesuits give an espionage bonus, Franciscans a happiness bonus, Dominicans a gold% bonus, etc. I'd like other people's ideas on this.

Well that’s certainly an idea, however the thing is there are commercial entities from European history that could be represented with the corporation model, and it be cool if at least some of them could get in.

On ‘corporations’ in general for the mod, since the owner paying maintenance for most of them is rather silly in this context (except maybe the military orders), it might be an idea to include more unique disadvantages instead. Plus since spamming them to every city is ahistorical and somewhat silly, I propose (as seeming the easiest way code-wise) including building requirements for them.

Anyway onto some ideas, going for non-overlapping roles (and coming with different techs as much as possible:

Spoiler :

Commercial Organisation
Name: Hanseatic League
Tech: Optics
GP types: Merchant
Requirements: Lighthouse (remember this is RFC ;))
Basic Benefit: +1 Trade Route
Negative: +50% Military Production cost (the cities loyalties now swing towards the League, and raising troops is harder)
Consumes: Fish, Fur, Gems
Benefit per consumed resource: +1 Gold

Name: Fugger Banking Family (Also represents the other great Ausberg bankers)
Tech: Divine Right (Bankers to the Emperor and all that)
Requirements: Market, Forge
Basic Benefit: +3 Gold
Negative: -25% Culture output
Consumes: Gold, Silver, Copper

Name: Medici Merchant House
Tech: Banking
GP types: Merchant, Artist
Requirements: Bank
Basic Benefit: +1 Gold, +3 Culture
Negative: Reduces stability (as the families distort politics to their own ends)
Consumes: Wool, Silk, Incense (On that not IMO wool should be a luxury resource)
Benefit per consumed resource: +1 Gold, +2 Culture

Name: Arkwright Textiles
Tech: Replaceable Parts
GP types: Scientist, Engineer
Requirements: River in BFC, market
Basic Benefit: +1 Hammer, +4 Gold to Watermills
Negative: +2 Unhappiness
Consumes: Wool, Cotton, Dye
Benefit per consumed resource: +1 Gold, +1 Hammer

Name: Krupp Armaments
Tech: Steel
Requirements: Forge
Basic Benefit: -50% Siege unit cost
Negative: +4 Unhealthiness, Cost Maintenance
Consumes: Iron, Coal
Benefit per consumed resource: +1 Hammer

Military Order
Name: Knights Templar
Tech: Civil Service
GP types: Prophet, General
Requirements: Castle
Basic Benefit: Free Combat 1 promotion for units here, reduced distance corruption.
Negative: Gold Maintenance Cost/reduced stability (state within a state isn't good for local rulers)
Consumes: Wine, Wheat (The Templar’s owned and managed a great deal of land and vineyards)

Name: Knights Hospitaller
Tech: Theology
Basic Benefit: Free Medic Promotion for units built here, faster healing in city.
Negative: Gold Maintenance Cost/reduced stability (state within a state isn't good for local rulers)
Consumes: Marble, Wheat (marble from Malta, and wheat stops more than one military order being in a city)

Name: Teutonic Knights
Tech: Feudalism
Basic Benefit: Free shock promotion for units built here, increased city defence.
Consumes: Horses, wheat.

Name: Order of the Dragon (mainly a joke ;)/sop to the eastern europeans)
Tech: Nationalism
GP types: General, Spy
Basic Benefit: Free Sentry Promotion for units built here, espionage bonus.
Negative: Gold Maintenance cost/reduced stability (state within a state isn't good for local rulers)
Consumes: Wheat, Silver

Monastic Order
Name: Society of Jesus
Tech: Education
GP types: Prophet, Scientist
Requirements: University, Catholic Monastery
Basic Benefit: +35% Science, +1 Espionage Point
Negative: Increased war weariness, especially verses catholic states
Consumes: NA
Benefit per consumed resource: NA

Name: Dominican Order
Tech: Philosophy
GP types: Prophet
Requirements: Catholic Monastery
Basic Benefit: +10% Science, -25% City maintenance (not distance) (Showing the friars assistance in the running of many states)
Negative: Unhappiness with absolutist civics (Despotism, Police State, Slavery, State Property, Bureaucracy)

Name: Franciscan Order
Tech: Music
Basic Benefit: +10% Science, +2 Happiness
Negative: Reduced military unit production (damn compassionate hippies)

Name: Cistercian
Tech: Guilds
Requirements: Granary, Catholic Monastery
Basic Benefit: +25% Science, +2 Health
Negative: -4 Food (representing the Abbeys use of the land)
Consumes:
Benefit per consumed resource:

personally I'd like to see the Hanseatic League, the two banking families, the Kinghts Hospitaller and Teutonic, The Jesuits and Cistercian/Domicans in there. Or if the commerical ones aren't inlcuded maybe all 4 of the Military Orders, and all the Monks but the Franciscans.

Look, I just thought them up quickly. Heres one for the Kevian Rus:
The Power of River Trade:For every river tile adjacent to a city, the said city gets +1 trade routs.

I'm STILL trying to ghet one for france and germany. They have to do something about decentralized authority, but i cant think of what.
Question: For France, are there going to be a separate Carlongian France to Capetian one? If so, that makes my life easier.

Well that’s certainly an idea, however the thing is there are commercial entities from European history that could be represented with the corporation model, and it be cool if at least some of them could get in.

On ‘corporations’ in general for the mod, since the owner paying maintenance for most of them is rather silly in this context (except maybe the military orders), it might be an idea to include more unique disadvantages instead. Plus since spamming them to every city is ahistorical and somewhat silly, I propose (as seeming the easiest way code-wise) including building requirements for them.

Anyway onto some ideas, going for non-overlapping roles (and coming with different techs as much as possible:

Spoiler :

Commercial Organisation
Name: Hanseatic League
Tech: Optics
Requirements: Lighthouse (remember this is RFC ;))
Basic Benefit: +1 Trade Route
Negative: +50% Military Production cost (the cities loyalties now swing towards the League, and raising troops is harder)
Consumes: Fish, Fur, Gems

Name: Fugger Banking Family (Also represents the other great Ausberg bankers)
Tech: Divine Right (Bankers to the Emperor and all that)
Requirements: Market, Forge
Basic Benefit: +3 Gold
Negative: -25% Culture output
Consumes: Gold, Silver, Copper

Name: Medici Merchant House
Tech: Banking
GP types: Merchant, Artist
Requirements: Bank
Basic Benefit: +1 Gold, +3 Culture
Negative: Reduces stability (as the families distort politics to their own ends)
Consumes: Wool, Silk, Incense (On that not IMO wool should be a luxury resource)
Benefit per consumed resource: +1 Gold, +2 Culture

Name: Arkwright Textiles
Tech: Replaceable Parts
Requirements: River in BFC, market
Basic Benefit: +1 Hammer, +4 Gold to Watermills
Negative: +2 Unhappiness
Consumes: Wool, Cotton, Dye
Benefit per consumed resource: +1 Gold, +1 Hammer

Name: Krupp Armaments
Tech: Steel
Requirements: Forge
Basic Benefit: -50% Siege unit cost
Negative: +4 Unhealthiness, Cost Maintenance
Consumes: Iron, Coal
Benefit per consumed resource: +1 Hammer

Military Order
Name: Knights Templar
Tech: Civil Service
Basic Benefit: Free Combat 1 promotion for units here, reduced distance corruption.
Consumes: Wine, Wheat (The Templar’s owned and managed a great deal of land and vineyards)

Name: Knights Hospitaller
Tech: Theology
Basic Benefit: Free Medic Promotion for units built here, faster healing in city.
Consumes: Marble, Wheat (marble from Malta, and wheat stops more than one military order being in a city)

Name: Teutonic Knights
Tech: Feudalism
Basic Benefit: Free shock promotion for units built here, increased city defence.
Consumes: Horses, wheat.

Name: Order of the Dragon (mainly a joke ;)/sop to the eastern europeans)
Tech: Nationalism
GP types: General, Spy
Basic Benefit: Free Sentry Promotion for units built here, espionage bonus.
Negative: Gold Maintenance cost/reduced stability (state within a state isn't good for local rulers)
Consumes: Wheat, Silver

Monastic Order
Name: Society of Jesus
Tech: Education
GP types: Prophet, Scientist
Requirements: University, Catholic Monastery
Basic Benefit: +35% Science, +1 Espionage Point
Negative: Increased war weariness, especially verses catholic states

Name: Dominican Order
Tech: Philosophy
Basic Benefit: +10% Science, -25% City maintenance (not distance) (Showing the friars assistance in the running of many states)
Negative: Unhappiness with absolutist civics (Despotism, Police State, Slavery, State Property, Bureaucracy)

Name: Franciscan Order
Tech: Music
Basic Benefit: +10% Science, +2 Happiness
Negative: Reduced military unit production (damn compassionate hippies)

Name: Cistercian
Tech: Guilds
Requirements: Granary, Catholic Monastery
Basic Benefit: +25% Science, +2 Health
Negative: -4 Food (representing the Abbeys use of the land)
Consumes:
Benefit per consumed resource:

personally I'd like to see the Hanseatic League, the two banking families, the Kinghts Hospitaller and Teutonic, The Jesuits and Cistercian/Domicans in there. Or if the commerical ones aren't inlcuded maybe all 4 of the Military Orders, and all the Monks but the Franciscans.

Great list, again.

I think that building requirements are a good idea, as are different tech requirements (although we may want to change those around as we update and expand the tech tree). I had envisioned the military orders being exclusive/competing, and the monastic orders working in the same way; I have to admit that I hadn't thought of the banking houses (great idea!) The Hanseatic League was on my mental list as a great wonder, but this way makes much more sense - and I like the list of powers/negatives here.

If we're voting on seven, I vote for the Hanseatic League, Medici, Fuggers, Templars, Teutonic Order, Jesuits, and Dominicans (with a stability hit included for absolutist civics). If the opportunity to include more without drastically altering the source code exists.... well, that gets interesting. I'd vote against the inclusion of Krupps, Arkwright, and the Franciscans, but would be interested in seeing the others in the game.

On the inclusion of wool as a luxury resource: I seriously considered it while working on the map, but sheep as a food resource complicates things a bit. We do need a textile resource - what do you think of the inclusion of flax, with production areas concentrated primarily in marshy areas of England/Scotland and the Netherlands? We'd essentially be using it to represent wool and linen in one resource, and the historically important areas for textile production would retain their prominence.

On the inclusion of wool as a luxury resource: I seriously considered it while working on the map, but sheep as a food resource complicates things a bit. We do need a textile resource - what do you think of the inclusion of flax, with production areas concentrated primarily in marshy areas of England/Scotland and the Netherlands? We'd essentially be using it to represent wool and linen in one resource, and the historically important areas for textile production would retain their prominence.

Possibly, though they do have different distributions - Wool in England, Castile, the odd one in france, italy and greece - the netherlands traded wool rather than making it. Whilst flax basiclly was cultivated everywhere, making it hard to choose placements for it (though a case could be made for France, and Poland-Belarus). So just call the luxury resource wool and have it follow the wool distribution plus it being seperate from sheep makes the most sense IMO ;). Having flax as its own resource might make sense too (after all without Aluminum, oil, uranium, rice, and the 'Hit' wonders, space is being freed up).

Okay. For different wonders and 'spaceship' victories, I suggest you look at European Middle Ages 0.74 by Head Serf. I have played it often, and it plays very well. They put in alot of time testing and coming up with ideas, so it may be worthwhile to look there. If you dont know where to look, scroll down the project and mod development page.

I think everyone here knows EMA, but in my opinion Rhye's Europe should not be a second EMA. Surely its worth to look how they solved some problems but i don't like the idea of copying mayor things from other mods.

Yes, I don't want it to be a copy, but they do have alot of great ideas.

Instead of the Order of the Dragon: It would have to have an earlier required tech, but how about the Order of Hashashim (Assassins)?

Top Bottom