Rhye's of Europe Organized Development Thread

Republic of Novgorod (860 AD) -> Grand Duchy of Moscow (1150 AD?) -> Russia (1500 AD)

It should start off as Vladimir-Suzdal (1090 AD) -> Grand Duchy of Moscow (1321 AD) -> Tsardom of Russia (1547 AD) -> Empire of Russia (cities held).

Novgorod is most definately not part of that chain.

Ditto Kiev should be

Kievan Rus (860 AD) -> Principality of Chernigov (1080) -> Zaporozhian Host (maybe, 1649 if so) -> Ukraine (1850) -> Empire of Russia (on cities held)

Thus whichever one of them wins out should get the Empire of Russia title ;).

This is the most recent proposed civ list, from the bottom of page 4.

AFAIK that's your most recent proposed civ list, the one I'm looking at is on page 1, and I was answering to your objections about including HRE.

AFAIK that's your most recent proposed civ list, the one I'm looking at is on page 1, and I was answering to your objections about including HRE.

Which was well-received by st.lucifer and mitsho, who are the only people who have really expressed an opinion. The one on page 1 was accepted with less support and with no discussion whatsoever. (Notably, see page 2).

It should start off as Vladimir-Suzdal (1090 AD) -> Grand Duchy of Moscow (1321 AD) -> Tsardom of Russia (1547 AD) -> Empire of Russia (cities held).

Novgorod is most definately not part of that chain.

Ditto Kiev should be

Kievan Rus (860 AD) -> Principality of Chernigov (1080) -> Zaporozhian Host (maybe, 1649 if so) -> Ukraine (1850) -> Empire of Russia (on cities held)

Thus whichever one of them wins out should get the Empire of Russia title ;).

As you may have noted, I've been needing someone's help who actually knew that area. Thank you. What should we do with Novgorod? Independent city?

As you may have noted, I've been needing someone's help who actually knew that area. Thank you. What should we do with Novgorod? Independent city?

I vote for Novgorod as an Independent city of considerable strength. I've already got it marked on the map - it's a little closer to Kiev than Moscow, but both are likely to make a play for it. I'd also put Astrakhan on the map as an independent, but I'm in the process of moving the map further west, and it's been lost in the shift.

As I said before, European Middle Ages has a pretty extensive and well thought our resource system and maps. Also, in my opinion, the civ choices are pretty good.
I really think that HRE should be a civ, because for the majority of the time, the german kings were the Holy Roman Emperors. This caused some strife with Byzantium because they considered themselves both holy and romans, not this 'barbarian'.

As I said before, European Middle Ages has a pretty extensive and well thought our resource system and maps. Also, in my opinion, the civ choices are pretty good.
I really think that HRE should be a civ, because for the majority of the time, the german kings were the Holy Roman Emperors. This caused some strife with Byzantium because they considered themselves both holy and romans, not this 'barbarian'.

Proposed timespan of mod: 500-1800. 1300 years.

HREmperor created in 800 for Charlemagne by the Pope. So 1000 years where the title HRE existed.

Specific calculation
Name: Time as HREmperor
(Previous HRE was in N. Italy)
Otto I: 11 years
Otto II: 10 years
Otto III: 8 years
Henry II: 10 years
Conrad II: 12 years
Henry III: 10 years
Henry IV: 21 years
Henry V: 14 years
Lothair III: 4 years (aka Lothair of Supplinburg)
Frederick Barbarossa: 35 years
Henry VI: 6 years
Otto IV: 6 years
Frederick II: 40 years
(Henry VII is from Luxembourg - 2 years)
Louis IV the Bavarian: 20 years
(Charles IV is from Luxembourg - 23 years)
(Sigismund is from Luxembourg - 4 years)

Total 207 (236 if you count Luxembourg as German)

House of Habsburg - mostly Austria
Frederick III (Frederick IV of Germany, Frederick V of Austria)
Charles V (Charles I of Spain)
etc...

As Austria is already included, I see no reason to count any House of Habsburg rulers as "German", despite some of them being elected King of Germany (especially given an English King was once considered by the electors). Charles V noted mostly because he was the last actual Holy Roman Emperor (those following him were never coronated), and because he wasn't a king of Germany at all. I only skipped Maximilian I (also House of Habsburg) because he too was only emperor-elect and not actually coronated.

So the actual time a German was HRE is ~200 years, which is 1/5th the lifespan of the title in the mod. Can we please drop this ridiculous "the german civ must be called HRE" now?

It isn't ridiculous. If you take a step away from the rulers and look at what the empire was called, you see that some connotation regarding Holy or Roman or German Nation was often used (as the official title was Holy Roman Emperor of the German Nation!).

It might have been, that the title was offered to an English king. However, there was never an English Holy Roman Emperor. Besides, Charles V was more of a Holy Roman Emperor AND King of Spain at the same time... Look, I do not want to list up leaders and stuff like that as I think this is empirical nonsense, as it relies heavily on your definition of German, but this term came up later as in all the other nation states so it is impossible to define it in the Middle Ages.

The Problem I see here, lies perhaps somewhere in the education. As I know it, (and I'm sure, some German can agree with me), out of my (swiss) school high school education (let's not talk about university at first), there always was reffered to the HRE as one state. The inner mechanics don't become important until the Reformation, and even after the 30 years war, the HRE keeps his overlordship over the territories, making the HRE a state, even if only on the paper AND in the MINDS of the people. As I saw from onedreamers posts, the view seems to be the same in Italy. Thus, I assume, the view is different in other countries that were not once part of the Empire...

As I saw the game set up, we would have the HRE/Germans, Habsburgs/Austria, Netherlands/Flanders, Burgundy and Switzerland who together make up the HRE. It is possible to have one civ leading and the other following. Might be a bend in game mechanics, but it works.

As for your proposal as the HRE as a title, please present a solution that works and that can be modded into the game in a playable and worthy manner (otherwise we can just leave it away...) After all, it's all about game play, and I think we should mod before talk.

It isn't ridiculous. If you take a step away from the rulers and look at what the empire was called, you see that some connotation regarding Holy or Roman or German Nation was often used (as the official title was Holy Roman Emperor of the German Nation!).

It might have been, that the title was offered to an English king. However, there was never an English Holy Roman Emperor. Besides, Charles V was more of a Holy Roman Emperor AND King of Spain at the same time... Look, I do not want to list up leaders and stuff like that as I think this is empirical nonsense, as it relies heavily on your definition of German, but this term came up later as in all the other nation states so it is impossible to define it in the Middle Ages.

The Problem I see here, lies perhaps somewhere in the education. As I know it, (and I'm sure, some German can agree with me), out of my (swiss) school high school education (let's not talk about university at first), there always was reffered to the HRE as one state. The inner mechanics don't become important until the Reformation, and even after the 30 years war, the HRE keeps his overlordship over the territories, making the HRE a state, even if only on the paper AND in the MINDS of the people. As I saw from onedreamers posts, the view seems to be the same in Italy. Thus, I assume, the view is different in other countries that were not once part of the Empire...

As I saw the game set up, we would have the HRE/Germans, Habsburgs/Austria, Netherlands/Flanders, Burgundy and Switzerland who together make up the HRE. It is possible to have one civ leading and the other following. Might be a bend in game mechanics, but it works.

Calling the political entity the Holy Roman Empire actually starts with Frederick Barbarossa. Before then it was often called the German Kingdom (I can look up the German, seriously). (Also, Charles V, to the best of my knowledge, never ruled Germany. He ruled the low countries, Burgundy, and Spain, and whatever other family possessions he had dominion over - Germany was not part of that).

Regardless, high school history in the US refers to this monolithic "holy roman empire" for whatever reason, but its usually referring to the Habsburgs. Who were *Austrian*. Most of the middle ages outside of France/England/Italy gets totally ignored, and even in those areas the politics are generally ignored. Following Charlemagne (mostly talking about government reform and changes in lifestyle et al.), we'll talk about the art from Italy, and the manor system. If you're lucky the Battle of Hastings might get mentioned (stupid 80s-modern high school history deciding military history isn't what history should be about). The crusades might come up very briefly. Then suddenly its the Renaissance and we're to Louis XIV of France before any real politics has been talked about. The Holy Roman Empire only gets discussed in the context of (A) Charlemagne and (B) Habsburgs. In fact, the HRE only really comes up in the context of the Napoleonic wars. If you want to know more about it than that, you'll have to read on your own because history classes won't cover it. In fact, most of the middle ages is totally ignored in history classes - they generally spend the most time on (1) prehistory, (2) mesopotamia, (3) greco-roman, (4) renaissance (Italy/France/England), (5) age of exploration, (6) age of enlightenment/Napoleonic Wars. If you're lucky, you'll get some 20th century as well, but I can't recall having gotten to WWII in a world history class (and it was only in 8th grade history we got to, much less through, WWI). At which point what a US highschooler learns in history class about the HRE is totally irrelevant. The only mention Germany will get is generally about the Reformation and Martin Luther - with no mention whatsoever of the politics of Germany. Its really quite sad.

As for your proposal as the HRE as a title, please present a solution that works and that can be modded into the game in a playable and worthy manner (otherwise we can just leave it away...) After all, it's all about game play, and I think we should mod before talk.

Assuming AP functionality stays the same:
the person controlling the AP can nominate a catholic civ to be HRE. If the vote passes, they get the title of HRE, and a +2 relations boost with all other catholic civs.

Assuming we want to make the AP more historical and issue Papal Bulls:
The Papal States (or current Pope if we use St.Lucifer's suggestion on grabbing control of the AP with GPs) can declare some catholic civ's ruler HRE. They get the bonuses above, except +1 relations bonus with all other catholic civs and +4 with the Papal States.

We could also talk about additional bonuses (+1 trade routes or somesuch). I don't imagine this will be that hard to mod, it'll just be a function of the AP. I actually like the second version better, as it makes the HRE something the Pope can use for political influence (very much like the historical situation). I mean, the whole reason Frederick I started referring to the German Kingdom as the Holy Roman Empire was to further his _legal_ claim that the papacy was subordinate to the emperor and not the other way around. (Whereas the Popes maintained that being HRE required recognition by the Papacy - a battle they would eventually win).

Regardless, high school history in the US refers to this monolithic "holy roman empire" for whatever reason, but its usually referring to the Habsburgs. Who were *Austrian*. Most of the middle ages outside of France/England/Italy gets totally ignored, and even in those areas the politics are generally ignored. Following Charlemagne (mostly talking about government reform and changes in lifestyle et al.), we'll talk about the art from Italy, and the manor system. If you're lucky the Battle of Hastings might get mentioned (stupid 80s-modern high school history deciding military history isn't what history should be about). The crusades might come up very briefly. Then suddenly its the Renaissance and we're to Louis XIV of France before any real politics has been talked about. The Holy Roman Empire only gets discussed in the context of (A) Charlemagne and (B) Habsburgs. In fact, the HRE only really comes up in the context of the Napoleonic wars. If you want to know more about it than that, you'll have to read on your own because history classes won't cover it. In fact, most of the middle ages is totally ignored in history classes - they generally spend the most time on (1) prehistory, (2) mesopotamia, (3) greco-roman, (4) renaissance (Italy/France/England), (5) age of exploration, (6) age of enlightenment/Napoleonic Wars. If you're lucky, you'll get some 20th century as well, but I can't recall having gotten to WWII in a world history class (and it was only in 8th grade history we got to, much less through, WWI). At which point what a US highschooler learns in history class about the HRE is totally irrelevant. The only mention Germany will get is generally about the Reformation and Martin Luther - with no mention whatsoever of the politics of Germany. Its really quite sad.

If you want really sad, in Texas they spend all of 7th grade talking about Texas history, and 8th grade about US history. Kids don't have any exposure to the outside world until high school, which runs into the same problems you mentioned (I don't remember getting beyond WWI). It's one of the reasons I'm teaching science rather than history. :p

I stand by my proposals re: the Apostolic Palace and the HRE title. Great prophets won't have much to do otherwise (unless we give them an inquisition feature or something comparable), and I like the idea of the title being symbolic with a few minor advantages rather than granting absolute control over the region. I find the fact that most of the later elected kings of the HRE didn't bother getting coronated pretty compelling. I don't think that this is a stupid debate, but I do think that everyone's opinion (who's voicing opinions) has been pretty clearly stated. Should we do a poll on this, with those who have contributed to this thread eligible to vote?

Proposed timespan of mod: 500-1800. 1300 years.

HREmperor created in 800 for Charlemagne by the Pope. So 1000 years where the title HRE existed.

You keep considering HRE a title instead of a political entity and you only want to consider its history from the Hapsburg or the Reform but it really starts with Charlemagne. The German vassals gradually obtained many liberty, but in the beginning they would pay taxes and the Emperor could ask them to mobilize their armies. That's what is called an empire, and it lasted more than 200 years. Why would Northern italian cities rebel and form the Lombard League if they were only ruled by a nominal Emperor who only detained a title with no power whatsoever ? And whom did Frederick Barbarossa bring along in Italy to quell the rebellion if he had no power on the german vassals ? :crazyeye:
Since before Charlemagne the german vassals were electing the German King, and after the HRE title started to be awarded by the Pope, the Emperor was ALSO considered German King. The German provinces although much more independent (and let me stress once more that this is a GRADUAL process over the course of centuries) than their French or English counterparts were still a single nation. The HRE has been the main power with the Papal States in Europe for pretty much the whole Middle Age, they were called the 2 Universal Powers, and yet you think that HRE is only a title like Marquis of Saluce.

If you want really sad, in Texas they spend all of 7th grade talking about Texas history, and 8th grade about US history.

I wouldn't call it sad, I think it is more important to learn history of your own country and continent at school. I have heard no mention of Texas at school... and only little mention about pre-european civs in America. Oriental history is also pretty much not taught. Is that sad ? I don't think so. But remember, that history is not only learned on books. If you lived in Europe, you would know certain historical facts by simple popular tradition/culture. That's why I think you should take a bit more in consideration the opinions of europeans about european history.
This said, I think it makes perfectly sense having HRE and Pope (or better Pope Controller as other games do) as game mechanics; what does NOT make sense is separating Germany, calling Austrasia and Neustria different civs (they were kingdoms/duchies of one civ: the Franks), East Francia, West Francia... man, these are provinces not civs.

You keep considering HRE a title instead of a political entity and you only want to consider its history from the Hapsburg or the Reform but it really starts with Charlemagne. The German vassals gradually obtained many liberty, but in the beginning they would pay taxes and the Emperor could ask them to mobilize their armies. That's what is called an empire, and it lasted more than 200 years. Why would Northern italian cities rebel and form the Lombard League if they were only ruled by a nominal Emperor who only detained a title with no power whatsoever ? And whom did Frederick Barbarossa bring along in Italy to quell the rebellion if he had no power on the german vassals ? :crazyeye:
Since before Charlemagne the german vassals were electing the German King, and after the HRE title started to be awarded by the Pope, the Emperor was ALSO considered German King. The German provinces although much more independent (and let me stress once more that this is a GRADUAL process over the course of centuries) than their French or English counterparts were still a single nation. The HRE has been the main power with the Papal States in Europe for pretty much the whole Middle Age, they were called the 2 Universal Powers, and yet you think that HRE is only a title like Marquis of Saluce.

Do you have a problem with my calculations? Are there other Holy Roman Emperors you wish to count as German? Because if not, my number stands. Only ~200 years during which a German was HRE. (It should probably be pointed out that those ~200 years are spread over about 350 years, as there are frequent gaps, often substantial, when there was no Holy Roman Emperor).

I agree, Germany was a nation. That nation was the Kingdom of Germany. That it was often part of the Holy Roman Empire (which included territories beyond Germany) is irrelevant to its identity as a nation/political entity.

Before Charlemagne there was no Germany, and no king thereof. There was Austrasia (which together with the rest of the Frankish kingdoms was governed primarily by... i'm forgetting the right word - effectively an administrator for the Merovingian king - until Pepin the Short had his family made king in law as well as fact (starting the Carolingian Dynasty) with the approval of the pope. (Obviously the Merovingian kings had real power at one point, but by the time of Charles Martel - Pepin's father - it was the administrator who had all the real power). Following this we have Charlemagne and his son Louis the Pious who ruled all France, much of Germany, and all of N. Italy. Then we have a series of Carolingian rulers in West, East, and Middle Francia (including N. Italy), and the HRE title basically ends up in Middle Francia/N. Italy until the Ottonians replace the Carolingians as King of Germany. The election of kings really dates to the end of the Carolingian Dynasty in Germany. From Otto I until the Habsburgs become dominant, there are ~207 years during which the German King is also Holy Roman Emperor. (While the Habsburgs are often "German King", they are more of a dominant foreign power - as we have an Austrian civ, it would be far better represented as Austria vassalizing 'Germany' than anything else).

For completeness:
Holy Roman Emperors before Otto I:
Charlemagne (King of All Franks, used Imperator Augustus as imperial title)
Louis I the Pious (King of All Franks, Imperator Augustus)
Lothair I (King of Italy, King of Middle Francia, Imperator Augustus)
Louis II (King of Italy, Imperator Augustus)
Charles II (King of West Francia, Imperator Augustus)
Charles III (in order aquired: King of Alemannia, Italy, East Francia, West Francia, -> All Franks. Became Imperator Augustus after becoming King of Italy)
Guy III of Spoleto (Margrave of Camerino -> Duke of Spoleto and Camerino -> "King of Italy" at least on paper, Imperator Augustus)
Lambert II of Spoleto (as Guy)
Arnulf of Carinthia (East Francia, Imperator Augustus) I suppose if you really wanted to you could count him as German - add 3 years!
Louis III (King of Provence, King of Italy, Imperator Augustus)
Berengar of Friuli (Margrave of Friuli, "King of Italy", Imperator Augustus)
Otto I (covered already)

Note that you could maybe add 3 years to the number of years a German was HRE. Those who were King of All Franks were not merely German, and I think we can all agree that bundling basically all of western Europe into one civ is a bad idea.

Wikipaedia even has the following to say about the title during the reign of Guy III of Spoleto:
"Guy's power never extended over much hereditary lands, which offered stark illustration of the fact that the imperial title, with its pretensions of universal rule, had by the end of the ninth century become merely a token of the pope's favour, to be fought over by various Italian nobles. He did not even firmly control the north of Italy, battling other claimants over the throne for much of his reign."

Note that its nature as a token of the Pope's favor would remain into the period when it belonged to German monarchs, which is why the term Holy Roman Emperor was erected in the first place (to make a claim to authority independent of the papacy).

That's why I think you should take a bit more in consideration the opinions of europeans about european history.

I would rather take into consideration _history_ rather than people's opinions thereof. Ultimately its going to come down to opinion at some point, but historical evidence should be the dominant arbiter. (In this case, even a cursory investigation - ie wikipaedia - reveals the true nature of the imperial title).

This said, I think it makes perfectly sense having HRE and Pope (or better Pope Controller as other games do) as game mechanics; what does NOT make sense is separating Germany, calling Austrasia and Neustria different civs (they were kingdoms/duchies of one civ: the Franks), East Francia, West Francia... man, these are provinces not civs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "separating Germany". We need a German civ of some sort.

Austrasia and Neustria were both kingdoms within Clovis's "empire", and were frequently independent of each other during the reign of the Merovingians. (Notably, the tradition of splitting one's kingdom among ones children meant that they were independent immediately after Clovis's death). It makes perfect sense to treat them distinctly.

Similarly, East and West Francia were also kingdoms within Charlemagne's empire, and would be ruled as separate kingdoms from Charles II on (840AD), even when they were united under one ruler (Charles III).

To call either of those sets provinces of a larger kingdom ignores historical fact and gives more weight to the shorter duration but better known reigns of Charlemagne and Clovis I than the longer time between those reigns when they were generally independent of each other. (Those kings are of course better known because they conquered/ruled multiple kingdoms, go figure). It also ignores that those entities were called Kingdoms by their contemporaries, and were sub-ruled by kings under those over-kings. And when there weren't over-kings (and sometimes even when there were) they were frequently at war with each other.

The Franks became the French and (at least some of) the Germans, as well as the Dutch. In the context of 500-1800, they really are multiple civs. Unless of course you think France, Germany, and the Low Countries are really the same civ.

no my problem was with your post #124 because I missread it and understood you didn't want a unitary german civ but Prussia or Austria to compete for that land. Sorry.

Its a bit quite here, isnt it? Nobody wants to work on this project anymore?
I'm relativly new here and my english is a bit rusty cuz i didn't use it long time but i want to help with this project. :)

So far it seems Vince-G is lost, so someone else want to take the position of the chief-developer for this project or just the replacement for Vince? Cause nobody feels really reponsible for this at the moment and nothing is done expect the map (thanks to St.Lucifer) and the civs (thanks to Squirrelloid). So we can either going on shaking our balls and doing nothing or keep working on this. :lol:

There many points we should discuss for this project, for exampe:

1. How shall colonies work? As wonders or as projects? What befits shall they bring and what colonies shall be included? Shall there be techs you have to research before building them? (copy from EE3?!?)

2. Religions? The main religions are cristianity/prostantism/orthodoxism aren't they? What about the anglican church, calvinism, reformism, judaism?

3. What shall replace the caste system (which probaly wasn't existing in europe)? Shall the stability releated civis of the orginial rfc be included? Something else?

4. And what about the Units? if we have a timespan from 500 or 750 or whatever till 1900 many units dont occure and in the main-timespan we have only about 10 units. :(

Sorry if you allready agreed on some points i wrote above, but i didnt read the whole thread, only first 2 pages and the last two

Zipzapzup said:
3. What shall replace the caste system (which probaly wasn't existing in europe)? Shall the stability releated civis of the orginial rfc be included? Something else?

What about peasant, bourgeoisie, clergy and nobility?

lets shup up with the whole HRE vs. Germany debate. its getting annoying. BTW, I know the map is being worked on, but has anyone done and work on modifying RFC to this? I can do a little basic XML and spelling checks, if you need help with it.

Well the question is what we have to do for this. So i want to discuss the things i wrote above so we can do something expect the scripting cuz the script, the civs and the map are all connected afaik.

lets shup up with the whole HRE vs. Germany debate. its getting annoying. BTW, I know the map is being worked on, but has anyone done and work on modifying RFC to this? I can do a little basic XML and spelling checks, if you need help with it.

I'm curious about how to add marshes or modify the resource names/artwork. If you have any insight on that, please let me know.

Top Bottom