Rhye's of Europe Organized Development Thread

Its a bit quite here, isnt it? Nobody wants to work on this project anymore?
I'm relativly new here and my english is a bit rusty cuz i didn't use it long time but i want to help with this project. :)

So far it seems Vince-G is lost, so someone else want to take the position of the chief-developer for this project or just the replacement for Vince? Cause nobody feels really reponsible for this at the moment and nothing is done expect the map (thanks to St.Lucifer) and the civs (thanks to Squirrelloid). So we can either going on shaking our balls and doing nothing or keep working on this. :lol:

There many points we should discuss for this project, for exampe:

1. How shall colonies work? As wonders or as projects? What befits shall they bring and what colonies shall be included? Shall there be techs you have to research before building them? (copy from EE3?!?)

2. Religions? The main religions are cristianity/prostantism/orthodoxism aren't they? What about the anglican church, calvinism, reformism, judaism?

3. What shall replace the caste system (which probaly wasn't existing in europe)? Shall the stability releated civis of the orginial rfc be included? Something else?

4. And what about the Units? if we have a timespan from 500 or 750 or whatever till 1900 many units dont occure and in the main-timespan we have only about 10 units. :(

Sorry if you allready agreed on some points i wrote above, but i didnt read the whole thread, only first 2 pages and the last two

Glad to have you aboard. Your first assignment is to read the whole thread. ;)

We're definitely keeping stability civics and stability in general. Many of the civics are going to be changed to reflect the period - ideas are on pages 4 and 5 of the thread. The general consensus was that colonies would be wonders or projects that would provide luxuries in the same manner as the Graceland/Wembley wonders in RFC.

I don't think we have a full plan for religions yet.

We're going to have to rework the tech tree and units as a matter of course - simply because we're covering a shorter period of history in more detail. No decisions have been made on any of that yet - at this point, we're looking at the basic stuff and brainstorming ideas.

Ok i read everything now and i'm sorry i wrote almost the same as Squirrelloid on page 4, but i got bored of the HRE discussion on page 3 and skipped it till page 6. :crazyeye:

Btw i did some work today cause i got bored after school, i edited the unit and building xmls so we have no more non-european in it. :)

About the colonies, make them as wonders seems the most fitting and easiest way i think. But there some things we have to discuss. Firstly shall wonders give any benefits expect the luxury resources? for example trade routes or an amount of extra gold/research/culture or anything. Then we have to look what colonies to implement. I've looked up a bit in wikipedia and here are my suggestions.

Canada - Fur
North-American Eastcoast - Cotton
North-American Southcoast - Cotton
Central America (or Mexiko/Aztec Territory) - Gold
Caribbean - ? Sugar (Cuba included or excluded?)
Caribbean South America - Sugar/gems/spice
Brazil - ? ?
Andean Territory/Incan Territory
Southern Cone
Gulf of Guinea - Ivory
Congo - Gems
Southern Africa - Gems/Gold/Silver/Ivory?
East Africa/Horn of Africa
India
Southeast Asia - Spice/Silk
Indonesia/East India
Australia - anything here? :lol:
China (is it Colony or only trade routes?) Tea/Silk/Dye
Middle East - Dye/Incense

I think this are the major colonies. Or did i forget something? Futhermore i think some regions can be devided in more parts such as the american Colonies or India. Perhaps we can add coffee, cacao or citrus fruits to some of these colonies, but i'm no expert regarding the colonial history. And we have to discuss if the colonies should have a representing building, such as a sort of lighttower or anything, so you can see that this city has a colony. ;)

@St. Lucifer
If I remember correctly, to change art, just rename the artdefines in the proper document. (Dont remember which one) and to adding new resources, just add another entry into the folder.

I'm wondering why nobody replied on my colony posting but doesn't matter.

Indeed i'm not genius in making mods and by now not very familiar with it but i thought i may do some work and here it is.

What i've done so far:
- Deleting most of the non-european units, buidings and wonders
- Cutting off the techtree, so there are only classic, medieval, renaissance and parts of the industrial age
- Deleting most non-european civs (didn't redo the leaderheads until know)

The events aren't redone so far because i have to check first which events really fit in the timespan roughly. Hope i didnt do some elses work so far, but since there is no chief-developer who coordinates the work i just started working a bit on it. Well moreover it's not that much but its a small step.

The question is what to do next? I would be very grateful to a bit more input about the religions and the colonies. Otherwise i'll continue working on my own and realize things how i like them.

And please don't be harsh about my crappy english :sad:

Attachments

• Rhye's of Europe.zip
    143.8 KB · Views: 151
I'm wondering why nobody replied on my colony posting but doesn't matter.

Indeed i'm not genius in making mods and by now not very familiar with it but i thought i may do some work and here it is.

What i've done so far:
- Deleting most of the non-european units, buidings and wonders
- Cutting off the techtree, so there are only classic, medieval, renaissance and parts of the industrial age
- Deleting most non-european civs (didn't redo the leaderheads until know)

The events aren't redone so far because i have to check first which events really fit in the timespan roughly. Hope i didnt do some elses work so far, but since there is no chief-developer who coordinates the work i just started working a bit on it. Well moreover it's not that much but its a small step.

The question is what to do next? I would be very grateful to a bit more input about the religions and the colonies. Otherwise i'll continue working on my own and realize things how i like them.

And please don't be harsh about my crappy english :sad:

Sorry that your colony suggestions passed without comment. I think we're going to do colonies as wonders or projects - so I'm wondering a bit how many we want to have. While the importance of colonies is undeniable, 19 is a lot (even if there were that many or more). We were talking about the possibility of having colonial wonders replace some of the resource-generating wonders (such as Wembeley/Graceland etc.) - providing luxuries not just for that civ, but for trading purposes as well. Adding more colonies would weaken those significantly. This might actually be a good thing - I think that either way it's worthy of further discussion.

On the map thread, we've been talking about what to do about certain luxuries - at this point, I'm pretty sure that we'll be having ivory represent both elephants and walrus (if you've removed war elephants, that works perfectly); salt (possibly replacing bananas - possibly aluminum, uranium, or oil); and possibly another textile luxury, such as flax for linen. For colonial resources, tea, tobacco, and cotton were the ones most commonly suggested, but the idea of having colonies such as Canada or Congo provide luxuries that are available in Europe (but not common to everyone) makes a lot of sense.
Basically, I like your idea. I do think that we should probably consider its implications further before implementing it.

The religions issue is still up for discussion, I think. I don't know of anyone besides you who has put together a comprehensive proposal for which to include. I'd say that Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam, and Eastern Orthodox have to be included - and after that, I'm not sure. Calvinism and Anglicanism could both be worked into a UHV for Switzerland and England, and I don't want to downplay the importance of or eliminate Judaism... but it's also true that no European countries have been officially Jewish or even had majority Jewish cities, which complicates things a bit.

Thanks for the work you've done so far! I'll try to get you direct feedback on it soon.

Also, nobody will be criticizing your English. The fact that you're willing to do a project like this in your second (or third) language takes skill and balls. Anyone on this board who posts coherently has my respect - that's just increased when it's not your native language.

Ok i read everything now and i'm sorry i wrote almost the same as Squirrelloid on page 4, but i got bored of the HRE discussion on page 3 and skipped it till page 6. :crazyeye:

Btw i did some work today cause i got bored after school, i edited the unit and building xmls so we have no more non-european in it. :)

About the colonies, make them as wonders seems the most fitting and easiest way i think. But there some things we have to discuss. Firstly shall wonders give any benefits expect the luxury resources? for example trade routes or an amount of extra gold/research/culture or anything. Then we have to look what colonies to implement. I've looked up a bit in wikipedia and here are my suggestions.

Canada - Fur
North-American Eastcoast - Cotton
North-American Southcoast - Cotton
Central America (or Mexiko/Aztec Territory) - Gold
Caribbean - ? Sugar (Cuba included or excluded?)
Caribbean South America - Sugar/gems/spice
Brazil - ? ?
Andean Territory/Incan Territory
Southern Cone
Gulf of Guinea - Ivory
Congo - Gems
Southern Africa - Gems/Gold/Silver/Ivory?
East Africa/Horn of Africa
India
Southeast Asia - Spice/Silk
Indonesia/East India
Australia - anything here? :lol:
China (is it Colony or only trade routes?) Tea/Silk/Dye
Middle East - Dye/Incense

I think this are the major colonies. Or did i forget something? Futhermore i think some regions can be devided in more parts such as the american Colonies or India. Perhaps we can add coffee, cacao or citrus fruits to some of these colonies, but i'm no expert regarding the colonial history. And we have to discuss if the colonies should have a representing building, such as a sort of lighttower or anything, so you can see that this city has a colony. ;)

A number of things here are a) outside the time scope of the mod or b) settler or trade colonies not really noted for their output of a rare resource (which is what we are going for).

Rather than just the geography names, perhaps more flavoursome epitaphs? Another question is if 'spices' will be kept as one or split?

3 National Wonders (all of whom will have strict requirements so inland civs are unlikely to get them):
Sugar Island - gives a single source of sugar. Represents all those tiny and hugely profitable caribbean islands.
Indian Trading Enclave - gives 2 spices (or Cumin). Various Indian cities built by europeans Goa, Pondcherry etc.
Far Eastern Trading Enclave - gives 2 Silk and extra trade routes in this city (much more expensive). Hong Kong, Macao, Valdivostock etc.

Early Trading Wonders.
The Hanseatic League - gives a few amber, extra trade route in every coastal city. Not really a trading company per say, but a good early resource provider.
Pactum Warmundi - gives dyes, or spices or pepper, extra trade routes. The deal granting the Venetians trade privelages in the Crusader kingdoms, I couldn't find anything with an appropriately neutral name to represent the italian city states - eastern trade.

Later but small trading company wonders.
The Muscovy Company - gives a few furs (or sheep). The very first chartered trading company in the world!
The Hudson Bay Company - gives lots of Furs and % bonus to trade routes.
The Virginia Company - gives a few Tobacco and % bonus to trade routes.
The Gold Coast - gives Ivory and % bonus to trade routes.
The Mexican Conquests - gives gold and massive amount of cash, obsoletes quickly.
The Incan Conquests - gives silver and massive amounts of cash, obsoletes quickly.
Dejima - gives numerious silks. The Dutch/Portuguese island in japan if you were wondering.

Big Spicy 3, late in the tech tree.
The Manila Galleons - gives spices (or ginger) and a large cultural boost to the city. Representing how the power of her empire let Spain play in europe.
The VOC - gives spices (or nutmeg) and a large gold boost to the city. The dutch squeezed the last drop of cash from the east indies.
The Honourable East India Company - gives large numbers of Spices (or cloves, or cinammon), requires an Indian Trading Post, and gives a very large production boost to the city. The production and manpower of india was one of the main pillars of superpower status.

A number of things here are a) outside the time scope of the mod or b) settler or trade colonies not really noted for their output of a rare resource (which is what we are going for).

Rather than just the geography names, perhaps more flavoursome epitaphs? Another question is if 'spices' will be kept as one or split?

3 National Wonders (all of whom will have strict requirements so inland civs are unlikely to get them):
Sugar Island - gives a single source of sugar. Represents all those tiny and hugely profitable caribbean islands.
Indian Trading Enclave - gives 2 spices (or Cumin). Various Indian cities built by europeans Goa, Pondcherry etc.
Far Eastern Trading Enclave - gives 2 Silk and extra trade routes in this city (much more expensive). Hong Kong, Macao, Valdivostock etc.

This sounds great. I like all of these - perhaps the requirement could be 'city must have # of coast/ocean tiles within radius'? I'd be ok with a simple 'coastal' requirement too - given how precious national wonders are and how few coastal cities have both good production and good food available, this might be good enough. I mean, I wouldn't want to exclude, say, London from building colonial wonders.

On the question of splitting spices: it might make sense to split spices into, say, 'pepper' and 'aromatics' (to cover cinnamon, cloves, etc.) - but I'm reluctant to split it further. While it's problematic to lump all spices together (see earlier questions about including saffron-producing areas in Europe as spices), I think we have to be careful not to unbalance things.

Early Trading Wonders.
The Hanseatic League - gives a few amber, extra trade route in every coastal city. Not really a trading company per say, but a good early resource provider.
Pactum Warmundi - gives dyes, or spices or pepper, extra trade routes. The deal granting the Venetians trade privelages in the Crusader kingdoms, I couldn't find anything with an appropriately neutral name to represent the italian city states - eastern trade.

Wasn't the Hanseatic League's main product herring? After initially suggesting the inclusion of amber, I've come around against it - I think it's fairly well represented by gems (and there are several gem resources concentrated around the Baltic coast), and I don't think that we should add new luxury resources so much as replace existing ones (again for purposes of balance). We could get around that by severely limiting the numbers of certain resources, but it's still a bit more complicated. I do like the possible idea of including 'build the Hanseatic League' in the UHVs of civs with historical member cities (Sweden, Germany, Lithuania).
We've put silk outside of Damascus and Edessa to represent the ends of the Silk Road - but it would make sense to represent the Venetian/Genoese merchants of the era through a wonder, also potentially tying into a UHV (which those two civs would compete for.)

The Muscovy Company - gives a few furs (or sheep). The very first chartered trading company in the world!
The Mexican Conquests - gives gold and massive amount of cash, obsoletes quickly.
The Incan Conquests - gives silver and massive amounts of cash, obsoletes quickly.
Dejima - gives numerious silks. The Dutch/Portuguese island in japan if you were wondering.

The Manila Galleons - gives spices (or ginger) and a large cultural boost to the city. Representing how the power of her empire let Spain play in europe.
The VOJ - gives spices (or nutmeg) and a large gold boost to the city. The dutch squeezed the last drop of cash from the east indies.
The Honourable East India Company - gives large numbers of Spices (or cloves, or cinammon), requires an Indian Trading Post, and gives a very large production boost to the city. The production and manpower of india was one of the main pillars of superpower status.

No objections to the minor wonders, except for possibly their number. I had also envisioned tea and tobacco as being more important - but again if we're adding tightly controlled numbers of several luxuries, this might be a better system. Adding completely new ones might also make additional bonuses/penalties possible: i.e. tobacco gives +2 happiness but -1 health, etc.

Actually, the major wonders are pretty impressive too. I might add silks to the Manila Galleons, and require that for both the MG and the VOJ that the city have a Far Eastern Trading Enclave. The VOJ might provide a second resource (Tea?) for balance. The production bonus for the East India Company scares me a bit - while it's certainly historically relevant, a large production bonus could be a killer for game balance.

Still, these are great ideas. :D

uhm.
since some places are bigger than others, I'm thinking:
we may assign an arbitrary number of colony slot to each place (east coast, caribbeans, india, ecc). By building a wonder, you take away one of the slots. In this way, more than one country can claim colonies on the same zone or one civilization can get the monopoly building all of them (which would grant a benefit). I also think that it should not be necessary to build them in a coastal city as long as you have another coastal city. In fact, not all the colonists came from the coast, nor the goods ecc.
Thoughts?

uhm.
since some places are bigger than others, I'm thinking:
we may assign an arbitrary number of colony slot to each place (east coast, caribbeans, india, ecc). By building a wonder, you take away one of the slots. In this way, more than one country can claim colonies on the same zone or one civilization can get the monopoly building all of them (which would grant a benefit). I also think that it should not be necessary to build them in a coastal city as long as you have another coastal city. In fact, not all the colonists came from the coast, nor the goods ecc.
Thoughts?

Setting these up as national wonders (and making the national wonder a prerequisite for the world wonder) makes this sort of slotting system practical. To represent the depopulation involved in colonization, it would make sense to make the successful completion of a colony result in a population loss - maybe in the completing city for a small or minor colony, and in all cities for a major colony?

@St. lucifer: The Manila Galleons, VOC, and HEIC could provide other resources of course (Silk, Spices, and Tea perhaps? Or all unique ones with Porcelain, Nutmeg and Tea?), I just liked the symmetry of them all giving some spices (which they did).

Setting these up as national wonders (and making the national wonder a prerequisite for the world wonder) makes this sort of slotting system practical. To represent the depopulation involved in colonization, it would make sense to make the successful completion of a colony result in a population loss - maybe in the completing city for a small or minor colony, and in all cities for a major colony?

A) The hugely profitable/resourse colonies were entirely seperate from the settler ones, India had under 10,000 British at the start of the 19th century. I don't know if the settler colonies are going to be represented as well.
B) Only two countries actually fell in population during the colonial period (Portugal and Ireland, and Ireland wasn't to its own colonies after all), the others just had fractionally slower rates of increase.

@St. lucifer: The Manila Galleons, VOC, and HEIC could provide other resources of course (Silk, Spices, and Tea perhaps? Or all unique ones with Porcelain, Nutmeg and Tea?), I just liked the symmetry of them all giving some spices (which they did).

What do you think of the pepper/aromatics distinction? Too simple? Good compromise solution? I agree that they should all give spices; I was proposing that tea and silk should be added to others to balance out the hammer bonus from the EIC.
In any case, I think that it's important that all three of these be highly desirable and a real drain on resources to build - basically, no civ should be likely to end up with more than one, and which one they go for should be influenced by both historical factors and their current needs (production, culture, or trade.)

A) The hugely profitable/resourse colonies were entirely seperate from the settler ones, India had under 10,000 British at the start of the 19th century. I don't know if the settler colonies are going to be represented as well.
B) Only two countries actually fell in population during the colonial period (Portugal and Ireland, and Ireland wasn't to its own colonies after all), the others just had fractionally slower rates of increase.

That's true. What about temporarily halting population growth while colonies are being built, as with settlers and workers?

we may assign an arbitrary number of colony slot to each place (east coast, caribbeans, india, ecc). By building a wonder, you take away one of the slots. In this way, more than one country can claim colonies on the same zone or one civilization can get the monopoly building all of them (which would grant a benefit).

Sounds like a good idea to me. Its not very easy to implement but i guess it can work, lets see what the other say about the idea.

I also think that it should not be necessary to build them in a coastal city as long as you have another coastal city.
Ehm that will be quite hard to do, because you cant check if the player got a costal city as far as i know.

Spoiler :

Early Trading Wonders.

The VOC - gives spices (or nutmeg) and a large gold boost to the city. The dutch squeezed the last drop of cash from the east indies.

Nice ideas Disenfrancised. I mostly agree to your points, but i think it can be very imbalancing if you get production/gold/culture boost to the cities the colonies are built in, especially if some countries dont have the possibility to
build them. Guess we have to test that often to get a suitable colonysystem.

That's true. What about temporarily halting population growth while colonies are being built, as with settlers and workers?

At the time the most colonies will be built the most cities will be at their biggest possible population, wont they? So there will no efect i imagine.

Don't listen to what I'll say next.

Colonies as corporations. You can simulate access to colonies with a system close to them, with the HQ representing the main trading company.

End of nonsense

Early Trading Wonders.

I dislike the National Wonder idea. It's unrealistic (IMO) and gives too many guaranteed resources to every civ. Besides, if you're going to have a pre-req for colony construction it should be military based, not builder based. The size and stability of a colonial empire was directly tied to the mother nation's relative military, and maybe diplomatic, strength.

I like how EE3 liberated colonies from specific companies and nations. However, if you want to keep that flavor, you can name each colonial wonder differently for each civ. Just make a generic INDIA_COLONY, then have civ-specific colonies unlocked with it (BRITISH_INDIA_COLONY, DUTCH_INDIA_COLONY, FRANCE_INDIA_COLONY) and have them go obsolete/unbuildable when any of the India wonders are completed.

HOWEVER, this is putting the cart before the horse, and should be tackled ear the end of the development. Right now, civs need to be added in, which means our focus needs to be on the civ list, UHVs and UPs. Once they're coded, start dates need to be decided on and we need to run a test of the spawns to make sure we have the base framework for the mod. After that, we can start adding on the flavor, like unit art, leader heads, civ renames, units, etc.

You guys need to keep focused on production and not on the details. Everything can be changed in a later patch.

XML and a bit of python. When you guys pick resources I can add it in easily.

Should I update the map with snow in the places marshes will go? Conventional resources are set - I'm trying to figure out how to swap out modern resources and hit resources for mod-specific ones like salt. Help on tweaking this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having some trouble opening XML, which I hope to get some IT help on during this next week.

Should I update the map with snow in the places marshes will go?

Do you want the marshes to be drainable with the discovery of a tech like Machinery? If so, I would recommend swapping the jungle artwork with the marsh artwork, that way behind the scenes there aren't any major changes to the XML.

Conventional resources are set - I'm trying to figure out how to swap out modern resources and hit resources for mod-specific ones like salt. Help on tweaking this would be greatly appreciated.

Delete them, then copy the structure of another resource, like Copper. Since the hits are wonder-specific, XML is a pain to modify and easier just to delete and write over.

I'm having some trouble opening XML, which I hope to get some IT help on during this next week.

Notepad opens XML, it's just a bit cumbersome to work with.

Here are some UPs I have thought of:
Byzantium-The Power of the Theodesian Walls. 100% defence in Constantinople that can't be bombarded down.
OR The Power of Themes: A certaint number of units can be garrisoned in a city for free.

Turkey-Same as in RFC, it fits them.

Abbasid Caliphate-The Power of Religous Authority: All muslim civs get +3 relations with them.

Egypt (Mamlukes)-The Power of Mamlukes: Can whip units out. (Slave soldiers) Note: No other civs can use slavery to creat units.

Moors-The Power of the Desert: All units get +10% defence in Deserts, and double movement rates in desert.

Armenia-(If added) The Power of Nationality: All Independent cities with an Armenian Culture of 50% or higher automaticly join Armenia if they Armenia is invaded. Once the war is over, if they are below 75% Armenian Culture, they go back to independent. (Might require to much modding).
These are all for now. I have some tenetive ideas on Germany and France, but they need to be fleshed out.

A few thoughs about colonies:

I) EE3 use resource-giving colonies for one reason. There is hardly any luxuries at the map. If you're going this way, You really sould cut on luxuries.

II) I don't thik its good idea to remove population from cities when the colony was build. Yes, the colonies definetly siphooned people from their motherland, but that was a blessing for the countries, because this helped reduce theovercrowding in cities. And this should be represented by +:) in all cities (or x biggest)

III)The corporation should be pushed back in tech tree. Than they could meke some use of abudant resources granted by colonies.

Top Bottom