RifE 1.20 Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

In my Game I am leader of the food chain (scoreboard) even the Frozen have rediculous City sizes:

Note that the cities aren't size 22 and 55 but 122 and 155!
Someone's crying for a nerf over there :lol:

Next thing is a minor bug - when the Mercurians pop into existence there is a little error:

This is also displayed at the top of the screen with the other "news".

EDIT: Oh, I misposted that one - it was meant to go to the Bugreport thread. Sorry for that.

Attachments

• Frozen.jpg
    Frozen.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 369
  • Mercurians.jpg
    Mercurians.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 363
I had an idea about salvaging the uber-strength animals, in an attempt to keep the 'world's a dangerous place feel' and maybe bring back some of what Kael's talking about in this thread. Specifically:

Wilderness Areas: Areas that have to be conquered before they are available to settlement. You may need to clear out the monsters, defeat a boss monster, or whatever. They should be formed by natural borders (such as rivers, mountain ranges and forests) and we would have a few different types with different properties. Some may require units to be a certain level before they can enter them. This idea became explorable lairs, which is a much more realistic vision of it. Though I still dream about the origional idea (i know a lot of the team really liked it).

What about, instead of having the powerful creatures free to rampage around the map as they please, you turn their lairs into cultural zones like forts, and the powerful creatures are only able to move around in their cultural zones/territory? Weaker units, under the guise of having to "go out to find territory" would be the only ones free to leave the borders. If a weak animal unit somehow survives long enough, maybe to the point of becoming a beast (or later still if balance requires it), the unit forms a lair and a new territory region for that creature is spawned.

Inside these territory regions would roam either packs or strong (e.g. the currently bugged out strength, maybe a little weaker) single units to simulate these areas being extremely savage and requiring an organized effort to clear and make safe. These territory regions should also take precedence over your cultural borders, showing that it takes an organized effort to make the region safe (and to prevent potential bugs like creatures getting pushed into your territory, then free to run about as they please, when they should not be able to). Owing to this, lairs should probably not spawn for the first couple of turns, and they should not spawn within several tiles of cultural borders either, though the intent is to make it feel like these lairs and regions have been around for centuries, before civilizations begin to re-emerge.

This might also be applied to barb units, although I guess cities work fine there. (On the flip side, if barbs only use forts, you can allow players to populate the fort after conquering it, turning it into a city, maybe with some initial defensive buildings.) In this case, though the barb population is very dense in their "cultural" radius or territory (simulating a very barbaric region that needs to be pacified), they send out raiding parties whose strength is based on the world's tech level. Depending on how much lag it induces the units inside the territory should fight themselves and (very) slowly gain in strength, as you'd imagine barbarians would do when they're not out raiding. The raiding parties would be independent and would be more akin to the current flavor of barbs who venture out and invade your territory.

This allows you to keep some of the stronger units around, like minotaur and hill giants (or sabertooth tigers or giant scorpions), but they are limited to their territories. Weaker units would be pushed out, the ones who need to establish their own territory, and they are the ones you need to defend against.

From what little I know of such things, I suspect it would be difficult to use map-generated features (like mountains and rivers, as Kael mentions) to limit territories, but that would be a neat addition if it is possible.

Hmm... That's a very intriguing idea. :goodjob:

While doing it exactly as you describe would be a bit complex (Would need to use the leash mechanic, so either lots of python or lots of DLL work moving it into XML), it would probably be quite simple to add a new tag to units/promotions which forces a unit to remain in it's civ's territory, and enabling lairs as 'forts'. We could then have strong animals wandering the 'Wilderness', but they'd be able to wander the full extent of the 'wilderness' instead of just that around their own lair. ;)

Sorry if I'm singing a familiar song, but the Legion of D'tesh seriously needs something to keep it from oblivion in the early game.
They start the match with 2:strength: warriors, which is a painful beginning. Except they're actually 1:strength: against the undead, demonic and angelic entities that roam Erebus. And it takes a while before the player can get anything, anything better. By which time you are likely to have been annihilated already. Something should be done to change the Legion's early-game survival odds from "LOL" to "rough start, but if you make it..." I'd suggest a unique archer unit, a la Lucian, for the start of the game to guard their initial city, which can't gain XP, but can keep you from being exterminated.

Sorry if I'm singing a familiar song, but the Legion of D'tesh seriously needs something to keep it from oblivion in the early game.
They start the match with 2:strength: warriors, which is a painful beginning. Except they're actually 1:strength: against the undead, demonic and angelic entities that roam Erebus. And it takes a while before the player can get anything, anything better. By which time you are likely to have been annihilated already. Something should be done to change the Legion's early-game survival odds from "LOL" to "rough start, but if you make it..." I'd suggest a unique archer unit, a la Lucian, for the start of the game to guard their initial city, which can't gain XP, but can keep you from being exterminated.

I've been thinking about starting them with a Dullahan unit.

I'm also thinking of tweaking the way different units work for the leaders... For one thing, under BOTH leaders, recon units lose the permanent invisibility for a turn after attacking. Under D'tesh alone, recon units would be unable to kill enemy units, like Haunts or Illusions. Under Thanatos, Arcane units would be weakened in some way (not sure how yet). In compensation, some other line (Likely Archery, as they're the only other one able to gain xp) will be enhanced in some way, made the 'neutral' unit. Defensive, of course. One easy thing to do would be to make a weak, tier 1 archery unit, and start them with one of those instead of warriors. ;)

Also thinking of making some more building replacements like the Morgue... Need ideas there, though.

I'm considering limiting the number of cities they can settle; Not sure how many, and not sure if I can do this without allowing settlements. Which would be bad, as I want to merge the Orbis settlement code. :lol:

Improvements have already been changed. The D'tesh only get 5 improvements (7, counting upgrades), and all have unique art:

• Pyre - Only valid on organic resources. I've made sure that ALL non-seafood organic resources are valid here. Converts them to Ash, which increases research for every ash you possess (+1%, so 5 give you +5%)
  • Crypt - Buildable on any flat terrain. Now acts as a Quarry with respect to resources.
  • Catacombs - Mine replacement. Same yields as mine (aside from the removal of mushrooms), mostly an art replacement.
  • Corrupted Pasture - Converts any Bison, Camel, Cow, Horse into Nightmares. It also massively increases the plotcounter for this tile... Be careful with it, or hell will spread through your territory (terrain won't change, but if it gets OUT of your territory demons will spawn)
  • Mausoleum (Lesser/Greater) - Fort replacement. Entirely graphical. Lesser Mausoleum -> Mausoleum -> Greater Mausoleum

Probably quite a bit else that could be done, but I spend an inordinate amount of time on them as is... Quite honestly, they are my favorite (existing) civ.

D'Teshi Improvements

This makes me very happy: In many games, the D'teshi quickly become a province/vassal (assuming they survive until Feudalism) an in many cases are overrun by their next door neighbor in an early war.

Why not give them an ability similar to the Clan's "Hire Goblin" that can be cast on Burrows or City Ruins that gives them skeletons or wraiths? Perhaps that would make the D'teshi a bit stronger early on while Burrows are still in play.

I'd rather not, as they aren't recruiting so much as dominating... And that's the province of D'tesh himself. :lol:

I may think more on it later, but I don't want to spend too much more time on them than I do on others. :lol: Grigori are in need of some attention now... Just need to make up some worker promotions first.

In other news, two things:
  1. Mazatl/Cualli worker UU's combined into one 'Lizard Worker' able to build Routes. Can't get routes to function with PromotionBuilds, so this is a short term fix... Same stats as a worker, just builds Trails. Differentiated via promotion.
    • Mazatl workers don't have Spring. Instead, they have a dedicated 'Create Swamp' spell. Python for the 'Clear Swamp', 'Shape Jungle', and 'Deepen Forest' spells fixed, all functioning.
    • Malakim workers are no longer UU's, even though we can't affect routes... I CAN use python in the canBuild check, so when in desert terrain Malakim workers can not build roads. Desert People allows them to trade in desert.
  2. Just finished setting up an SVN repository for the mod, which testers/people with Team Forum access will have download access to. Makes it easier for the team, as we (read: I) don't need to merge lots of files anymore. ;)

Niveras Idea soulds like it could be done as seperat Animal Civ with
- a Hold Boss monster in the main city
- a high starting Culture Radius
- Unability to build new Citys and to build tile improvments (this might be a probleme)
- Spreading Ancient Woods within Culture Radius so it get the "Natural Border"
- City keeps on 1 so as soon all city defender fall the city is destroyed and cant captured by tolerenat civs
- Peace with Animals
- Get huge boost to Unit combat stats withing border but weak outside it
- Build only animals

This is just a Idea that came to me reading Niveras Post

Edit: Idea for Worker is that they can only build Animal Dens and the City get bonis from them.
Sadly I have to vew time and are to less of a coder to bring this idea into a module.

I think for this we would have to make fort culture able to compete with city culture. (which would be good :))

What about barb undead are to DTeshi as barb orcs are to Clan? A minor help but a help.

Shouldn't Loki have a tech requirement? In one of my games, the Balseraphs built him in the early game and ended up taking over my 3rd (or perhaps 4th) city before I could build a monument. I ended up just restarting (with the Balseraphs disabled) because it screwed me over so badly.

Another thing I've noticed: the "culture" produced by forts doesn't seem to compete with cities at all. Culture produced by a city simply overrides the cultural control produced by the fort, which kinda makes the fort pointless.

What about barb undead are to DTeshi as barb orcs are to Clan? A minor help but a help.

Problem with that is they are part of the Demon civ - If it was just skeletons I'd do it, but with all the other demons as well it would be too much. D'tesh is trying to take over all of Erebus, so he's at odds with demons trying to do the same.

Shouldn't Loki have a tech requirement? In one of my games, the Balseraphs built him in the early game and ended up taking over my 3rd (or perhaps 4th) city before I could build a monument. I ended up just restarting (with the Balseraphs disabled) because it screwed me over so badly.

Another thing I've noticed: the "culture" produced by forts doesn't seem to compete with cities at all. Culture produced by a city simply overrides the cultural control produced by the fort, which kinda makes the fort pointless.

Loki has never had a tech requirement... And honestly, I see no reason to change it. The AI using him effectively is not a reason to nerf him. :p

And fort culture DOES compete, but only the actual tile the fort is on. I plan to change that (the original mod doesn't allow them to compete at all, Ahwaric added the fort thing), but haven't gotten to it yet.

If forts actually competed with cities for culture, the d'tesh being limited to a small number of civs without settlements isn't a problem. Their forts, could gain culture over time as cities with a unique tag. This solves the terrain and bonus control issues of limited cities and ensures the d'tesh cannot simply be culture pushed off of all their territory.

I think part of the extreme-early-game vulnerability of the D'tesh is the plains->desert climate version on the way to wasteland. This causes a huge hit in hammer production in your first city, when you need all the hammers you can get to build defenders in your capital city. That their weak warriors also cannot level up from experience similarly feeds this weakness. (Where the occasionally victorious warrior multiplies its strength significantly, you need that many more warriors to cover what a promoted one could handle alone.)

Though this might be a less urgent issue once the special barbarians units are toned down and D'tesh given a defender in their capital city, as you mentioned in another thread. Also, it could intended that players survive the extremely luck-based early game in order to have such a powerful late-game civ.

I think an archery UU for the warior would be good. That way it gains xp, but cannot be used to mass produce 2+12death str units.

I think part of the extreme-early-game vulnerability of the D'tesh is the plains->desert climate version on the way to wasteland. This causes a huge hit in hammer production in your first city, when you need all the hammers you can get to build defenders in your capital city. That their weak warriors also cannot level up from experience similarly feeds this weakness. (Where the occasionally victorious warrior multiplies its strength significantly, you need that many more warriors to cover what a promoted one could handle alone.)

Though this might be a less urgent issue once the special barbarians units are toned down and D'tesh given a defender in their capital city, as you mentioned in another thread. Also, it could intended that players survive the extremely luck-based early game in order to have such a powerful late-game civ.

What I'm planning on doing is only allowing climates to revert if you select a game option (EZMode option, as with No Barbs, or any others). This would let me bring down the time it takes to get Wasteland.... It's only so high atm because that way it takes a while to revert, as well. Spring can remove it already, so it's not hard to remove; Just wouldn't be automatic.

I think an archery UU for the warior would be good. That way it gains xp, but cannot be used to mass produce 2+12death str units.

Yeah, I like the idea too. :goodjob:

Top Bottom