RifE 1.20 Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

I've had an idea for a Malkim leader Semerkhet.

I thought it would be cool if there was a leader that followed "the old ways". This leader would be agnostic, and would have several UU (egypitan mythology based) that are linked to agnostic. He would be an emergent leader, and his starting trait would either be Spititual or Agressive. His alignment would be Nutral Lawful (0 to -50 Nutral).

I've had an idea for a Malkim leader Semerkhet.

I thought it would be cool if there was a leader that followed "the old ways". This leader would be agnostic, and would have several UU (egypitan mythology based) that are linked to agnostic. He would be an emergent leader, and his starting trait would either be Spititual or Agressive. His alignment would be Nutral Lawful (0 to -50 Nutral).

Nice idea. That reminds me, though, I've been thinking of the Malakim leaders, and what each brings to the table. The Malakim have two main advantages; Deserts and Disciples.
Decius: As we know and love him; Decius is Decius.
Varn Gosam: As we know and love him. Disciples focused.
Kane: I see him as leading the Malakim too fiercely independent to kneel before a "weakling" religion like the Empyrean. He could work for a Desert focused leader. As such, I have some suggestions: Make him prefer the Runes of Kilmorph or the Order, and switch him to Expansive/Organized to allow for a large, sprawling empire in the desert, at the cost of the awesomeness of Adaptive and the synergy Varn has with the Malakim's disciple focus and his spiritual trait. The Expansive will make Flood Plains even less of a worry than before, and help him get settlers aplenty out, while the Organized, combined with either of his preferred religions will help him keep a massive empire in order; he doesn't have any directly warlike traits, but with the empire he'll be able to build, he may not need them to be a deadly opponent.
Semerkhet: I like the idea, an Emergent leader (although now built as per the Ominous Mysterious Project) to blur the line between Disciple focus and Desert focus. Should have a trait akin to Agnostic/Emperor's Cult that allows him to train a special disciple line and temples for his pagan religion. He'd need a modified version of Religious Fervor, though, being unable to adopt a state religion. We have enough religions as it is, though, and I can't see old-fashioned Malakim bothering to spread their old ways like the other religions spread their beliefs.

One of these pics might be alright. Overall I think the second would work best, possible the third.

The first one is a little to warlordish.

The second one is my favorite.

The third is okay, but he does have a cross... I guess it could be cropped out

The last image is a little old, and has goggles...

Haven't had much time to play FfH because of various real life issues, holidays and whatnot. But having just got a new computer I decided to see how it runs Civ. Already downloaded Rife/Rise/Valkrionn+ so gonna try a game or two with the Clan to see how these changes play out. Despite being so nicely warmongering they always seemed so bland.

whats the difference between a :gold: and a :commerce:

:gold: is gold. Money.

:commerce: is commerce. Depending on how you have your research and cultural sliders it will turn into some combination of :gold:, :culture: and :science:.

Haven't had much time to play FfH because of various real life issues, holidays and whatnot. But having just got a new computer I decided to see how it runs Civ. Already downloaded Rife/Rise/Valkrionn+ so gonna try a game or two with the Clan to see how these changes play out. Despite being so nicely warmongering they always seemed so bland.

:gold: is gold. Money.

:commerce: is commerce. Depending on how you have your research and cultural sliders it will turn into some combination of :gold:, :culture: and :science:.

The Clan don't have many changes in the current version. More coming in the next, of course. :lol:

The Clan don't have many changes in the current version. More coming in the next, of course. :lol:

Maybe not, but the small changes that are in plus the RiFE changes make it play very differently than it does in vanilla FfH! I already played two quick games and abandoned both.

First one was Jonas Endain. I waited until I found my first opponent before popping For the Horde. The barbarians I got set to plundering their lair and before long I had just shy of 500 gold and the new found goodie huts gave me a nice bump in techs. I declared war on the Elohim and rushed him with the new barbarians, taking out all the defenders outside the city. I sat my boss outside the Elohim capital, hired then enlisted two archers and started peppering the Elohim with arrows while turn after turn the boss kept hiring warriors. Once I had about twice as many warriors as the Elohim. Waaargh! The capital fell and it had an amazing starting plot. It was about turn 50. By Turn 70 there were so many barbarian cities from the forts I had captured and Acheron spawned. By turn 100 the barbarians had killed two more civs, leaving only three opponents for me. I had built all the early wonders and had a massive tech lead, so I called it a win and decided to try again.

My game with the Hafgan the Purger was far different. My starting plot was amazing, four riverside mushrooms! There was a lot more thick forest and I lost a lot of Bosses to Treants. I finally found the Grigori on the other side of a large mountain range, I DoW'd and hit For the Horde. This time I had a lot worse luck with the lairs. There were dread hampsters everywhere. And since goblins don't get defense bonuses anymore they were getting mauled by the wildlife, who were getting nice promotions. My attack on the Grigori stalled because of a pack of scorpions (8 strength.) Once the scorpioins took the chokepoint, my army was cut off and was dismantled by Hippogriffs, Scorpions and Treants.

There's now Malaevolent Flora (or the ocean) isolating me from the rest of the civs. Both of my workers were just killed, one by a baby spider and the other by a fully promoted S6 M4 flock of Hippogriffs that invaded my borders! I called it quits on turn 75. I had just built up a substantial warparty, killed the Hippogriffs and broke their eggs. As soon as the warparty steps outside our borders they are mauled run screaming in terror from a Pack of Cave Bears.

Two very different experiences, both interesting games. I'm going to play with Sheelba next to see if I can split the difference. :)

A bit o' feedback:
* Turn 75 on standard speed, a Combat 3 Strength 18 animal unit that causes fear? Is that normal?
* Animals, of course, shouldn't come into my cultural borders and kill my workers. It appears there's a bug (prolly in the FF code for the animal civ) code. Animals that are already in cultural borders (even Barbarian) can move freely within the borders at will. Animals can get placed into cultural borders when the borders expand. I saw this happen once in my first game. I had a Treant pinned between peaks and my borders. When my borders expanded it went on a rampage. In the second game I never even saw the Hippogriff Flight, probably because it was in the borders of a barbarian fort that was touching my border.
* The animals seem to really, really hate the Clan. Or are they just even more dangerous in RiFE than they were in FF+?
* The behavior with regards to forts and the clan is somewhat confusing and inconsistent. Forts/Castles/Citadels discovered in the wild can be claimed, placing an Overlord in power. This overlord will eventually revolt, turning it to a barbarian owned fort. Some goblin forts, once looted, turn into cities the next turn. Others turn into forts, with an Overlord, who revolts, returning it to the barbarians. Bosses can create a fort, but they do not have Overlords, only simple fort commanders. It also seems a little powerful that from turn 1 the Clan can build very cheap units that can put forts wherever they want in only 3 turns. The Clan needed this kinda boost, and I don't see it being that overpowered in the later game (which I haven't got to yet.)
* I like the bosses. Somehow I wish that units that didn't have a leader were penalized, or that having a leader would remove the negative aspects of being "undisciplined." Perhaps having a Boss as leader would lower the chance of For The Horde units reverting to barbarians. I imagine they are complete assassin fodder. I don't see them as being useful for anything but absorbing assassin attacks.

Maybe not, but the small changes that are in plus the RiFE changes make it play very differently than it does in vanilla FfH! I already played two quick games and abandoned both.

First one was Jonas Endain. I waited until I found my first opponent before popping For the Horde. The barbarians I got set to plundering their lair and before long I had just shy of 500 gold and the new found goodie huts gave me a nice bump in techs. I declared war on the Elohim and rushed him with the new barbarians, taking out all the defenders outside the city. I sat my boss outside the Elohim capital, hired then enlisted two archers and started peppering the Elohim with arrows while turn after turn the boss kept hiring warriors. Once I had about twice as many warriors as the Elohim. Waaargh! The capital fell and it had an amazing starting plot. It was about turn 50. By Turn 70 there were so many barbarian cities from the forts I had captured and Acheron spawned. By turn 100 the barbarians had killed two more civs, leaving only three opponents for me. I had built all the early wonders and had a massive tech lead, so I called it a win and decided to try again.

My game with the Hafgan the Purger was far different. My starting plot was amazing, four riverside mushrooms! There was a lot more thick forest and I lost a lot of Bosses to Treants. I finally found the Grigori on the other side of a large mountain range, I DoW'd and hit For the Horde. This time I had a lot worse luck with the lairs. There were dread hampsters everywhere. And since goblins don't get defense bonuses anymore they were getting mauled by the wildlife, who were getting nice promotions. My attack on the Grigori stalled because of a pack of scorpions (8 strength.) Once the scorpioins took the chokepoint, my army was cut off and was dismantled by Hippogriffs, Scorpions and Treants.

There's now Malaevolent Flora (or the ocean) isolating me from the rest of the civs. Both of my workers were just killed, one by a baby spider and the other by a fully promoted S6 M4 flock of Hippogriffs that invaded my borders! I called it quits on turn 75. I had just built up a substantial warparty, killed the Hippogriffs and broke their eggs. As soon as the warparty steps outside our borders they are mauled run screaming in terror from a Pack of Cave Bears.

Two very different experiences, both interesting games. I'm going to play with Sheelba next to see if I can split the difference. :)

A bit o' feedback:
* Turn 75 on standard speed, a Combat 3 Strength 18 animal unit that causes fear? Is that normal?
* Animals, of course, shouldn't come into my cultural borders and kill my workers. It appears there's a bug (prolly in the FF code for the animal civ) code. Animals that are already in cultural borders (even Barbarian) can move freely within the borders at will. Animals can get placed into cultural borders when the borders expand. I saw this happen once in my first game. I had a Treant pinned between peaks and my borders. When my borders expanded it went on a rampage. In the second game I never even saw the Hippogriff Flight, probably because it was in the borders of a barbarian fort that was touching my border.
* The animals seem to really, really hate the Clan. Or are they just even more dangerous in RiFE than they were in FF+?
* The behavior with regards to forts and the clan is somewhat confusing and inconsistent. Forts/Castles/Citadels discovered in the wild can be claimed, placing an Overlord in power. This overlord will eventually revolt, turning it to a barbarian owned fort. Some goblin forts, once looted, turn into cities the next turn. Others turn into forts, with an Overlord, who revolts, returning it to the barbarians. Bosses can create a fort, but they do not have Overlords, only simple fort commanders. It also seems a little powerful that from turn 1 the Clan can build very cheap units that can put forts wherever they want in only 3 turns. The Clan needed this kinda boost, and I don't see it being that overpowered in the later game (which I haven't got to yet.)
* I like the bosses. Somehow I wish that units that didn't have a leader were penalized, or that having a leader would remove the negative aspects of being "undisciplined." Perhaps having a Boss as leader would lower the chance of For The Horde units reverting to barbarians. I imagine they are complete assassin fodder. I don't see them as being useful for anything but absorbing assassin attacks.

1. No, it's not, and is fixed for the next version. Basically, animals (aside from Hamsters) no longer upgrade after combat. Instead, once they've reached a certain age they gain a spell which allows it. Animals won't upgrade nearly as fast now, but will instead upgrade at appropriate stages. ;)
  2. That's no bug. In FF, animals can move freely in cultural borders, they just can't enter unless at peace (or crossing over from the border of a civ they are at peace with, so sharing borders with the Doviello is dangerous). In RifE, animals with the bExploreRivalTerritory tag are perfectly able to enter cultural territory, so long as the 'Animal Invasion' option is turned on. All animals gain this after they've been alive long enough, as well as becoming beasts... Next patch the option's function is reversed, so when you turn it ON they are unable to enter. Also renamed 'Timid Animals'.
  3. They are far more dangerous than in FF. ;)
  4. Yeah, that's being changed. Basically, fort commanders gain the 'Animosity' promotion, which has a chance to create a barb city... It's also why some cities didn't obey spacing restrictions. I've altered it so that it's Barb only (Clan doesn't have the effect), respects city spacing, and won't happen in owned territory.
    • On the whole 'Bosses can create a fort' thing... ALL UnitCombat_Commanders are able to do that. The only difference for the Clan is that they can directly build them... Bannor can do it too via the Chain of Command mechanic.
  5. The Boss unit line has been expanded to cover the entire Recon line, but I've also removed the 'Enlist' spell... Clan worldspell was changed, that spell is too strong now. That said, having units lead by a Boss unit would be unable to revert to barb would be a good idea, will think about it.

Ah. Now that I think about it, I suppose it makes sense about animals and borders. Animals who live outside of civilization would avoid it. Those use to it would react to threats normally, not scurry away from the loud, noisy orcs.

In my third game I didn't do too well with For the Horde either. In my first game I got a lot of Cyclops and even a Giant. Goblins really don't do very well versus either the animals or demons, and Minotaurs are always enraged. I'm not sure I see it as that overpowered. It certainly is more useful now, since there are a lot more barbarians and lairs.

My starting location was right next to a goblin fort. It turned into a city, which my city overpowered with it's culture and soon I had a double city.

Yeah, I'm a production powerhouse. :) It's probably good you are changing it.

Attachments

• Double City.JPG
    Double City.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 377
Ah. Now that I think about it, I suppose it makes sense about animals and borders. Animals who live outside of civilization would avoid it. Those use to it would react to threats normally, not scurry away from the loud, noisy orcs.

In my third game I didn't do too well with For the Horde either. In my first game I got a lot of Cyclops and even a Giant. Goblins really don't do very well versus either the animals or demons, and Minotaurs are always enraged. I'm not sure I see it as that overpowered. It certainly is more useful now, since there are a lot more barbarians and lairs.

My starting location was right next to a goblin fort. It turned into a city, which my city overpowered with it's culture and soon I had a double city.

Yeah, I'm a production powerhouse. :) It's probably good you are changing it.

Yeah, can't get cities placed next to each other like that anymore. Code checks to see if the plot is within the workable radius for a city (which ignores culture, it's 'is ever workable' not is workable now), if so, can't run. Also means it won't work within 3 tiles of a Kuriotate city.

Main reason FtH has been changed isn't because it's strong, but because it basically revealed the map for the Clan. New version is also strong (Actually, for the first few turns it's far stronger), but can't really explore. ;)

The Clan related posts inspired me to check out the changelog and try a Clan game, having fun with the "Boss" scouting around and doing a lot of different things. Maybe it's too early to tell yet, but it seemed he only had eligibility for limited promotions (Woodsman and Guerrilla), after that he could only get the fake levelup ones which heal you. Again, maybe some additional techs later will fix that, but I'd have thought stuff like Combat 1-5 and other "stuff" would be available, or better yet, commander promos to add command ranges and buffs. Maybe too powerful for a cheap Scout replacement though, who can hire all sorts of units, ha ha.

The Clan related posts inspired me to check out the changelog and try a Clan game, having fun with the "Boss" scouting around and doing a lot of different things. Maybe it's too early to tell yet, but it seemed he only had eligibility for limited promotions (Woodsman and Guerrilla), after that he could only get the fake levelup ones which heal you. Again, maybe some additional techs later will fix that, but I'd have thought stuff like Combat 1-5 and other "stuff" would be available, or better yet, commander promos to add command ranges and buffs. Maybe too powerful for a cheap Scout replacement though, who can hire all sorts of units, ha ha.

The boss should have the command promos available to him. At least my bosses do.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if Bosses should be able to hire while in enemy territory. Or if the units that are hired should be allowed to move that turn. A boss standing on an enemy town can pillage it all in one turn and get some units in the bargain.

That said, having units lead by a Boss unit would be unable to revert to barb would be a good idea, will think about it.

This gave me a thought, regarding Great Commanders (or just the command system in general, really, since any unit can command), that could unlock a few... interesting possibilities.

Would it be possible to make units (that have been assigned to a commander, obviously) follow their commander, even if it breaks away from it's originating civ? Basically meaning that if a commander is converted (by a unit with Command, for instance), or turns barbarian (for whatever reason), his troops would turn with him, and stay under his command.

Perhaps even go so far as to introduce auto-assigned promotions, tied to age and level, that would add a chance for them to go barbarian?

It would give you another reason to protect your commanders, as well as making it a potential risk to use them too much.

(I'm sorry if this has been suggested before, by the way; I don't remember it being mentioned, but I won't pretend that I actually checked everywhere)

Top Bottom