[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

The trailer had the woman acting as the Queen of Korea at one point (she was wearing the crown of Silla), likely a reference to Queen Seondeok of Silla.

So I guess she'll likely be introduced as leader of Korea. Mongols are likely to be introduced too.

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I read on steam (german version) that the 8 civs come with 2 unique buildings, 2 unique districts and 4 unique improvements.

The trailer had the woman acting as the Queen of Korea at one point (she was wearing the crown of Silla), likely a reference to Queen Seondeok of Silla.

So I guess she'll likely be introduced as leader of Korea.
I hope so! My girlfriend will be very happy about that.

Just reading through her Wikipedia page, it seems like she'd be a great fit for the new Alliance system. Maybe decreases in Alliance leveling up time and/or a increases in Alliance effects?[/QUOTE]

will we going to see a first look on thursday? they have to make 17 of them and they have 10 weeks to do so, so I guess it's probable

Anyone else concerned how the AI will handle emergencies. I can see something like this happening:
-Player gets ahead and triggers some emergency
-All the AI join in to stop them
-AI does nothing
-Player who is already really far ahead gets a ton of bonuses

That's a possible scenario, though it looks like they already thought of that, reason why the leaders joining the emergency will get a bonus related to whatever they have to do. If the AI will know how to use that bonus effectively is another matter.

Hmm, does somebody care to make a features thread ? I'd do it, but I don't want the responsibility to regularly edit and upgade it...

Some details scrounged up so far from previews:
The Government district can only be build once per civ and the buildings unlock policy slots and new governor titles.
Entertainment districts now unlock a city project that increase loyalty in your nearby cities and decreases it in nearby foreign cities.
Letters of Marque policy only available during Dark Ages makes Privateers much cheaper and increases their gold rewards.
Diplomat governer increases your loyalty and decreases foreign loyalty. Can also be sent to City States far away from you to subvert foreign cities and counts as "a couple of" envoys.
Financier governor allows a city to buy districts with gold.
Spies can be used to decrease a foreign city's loyalty (Of course!).

New wonder spotted: Chateau Frontenac
It's right next to the Statue of Liberty on the cover.

@God of Kings happy now?

There's many minarets on the cover as well and some strange looking rocks...

Sadly, this means that there is the possibility that we've seen all but one world wonder already...

Last edited:
So I think it much more reasonable to speculate on the mechanics over the video itself. I mean I think they both offer clues, but they will, for sure, introduce one civ (it could be leader only, but I think we will see a whole civ for each as there are not that many to cover) that highlights each new mechanic.

Golden/Dark/Heroic Age -- Korea maybe, or Italy
Loyalty/Culture Flip -- Ghana under Kwame Nkrumah, a prominent African leader during decolonization
Governors -- Possibly Ottomans or Dutch (Ottomans for nearby, Dutch for overseas)
Alliances -- Could see France retooled.
Emergencies -- I don't think we'll see one focused on this tbh, as it's more of a reaction than a proactive policy.

You've got a good angle here. I would add in Expansion since they've explicitly said they want to show off expansive civs. Mongolia, Turkey, and the Dutch would all fit the bill.

Started a new thread for speculating on civs and leaders btw, here it is: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/what-civs-leaders-do-you-expect-to-see-in-rise-fall.624907/

One thing to notice is that Anton Strenger, the lead designer, also worked on Beyond Earth: Rising Tide, which have a similar concept of adding more value to alliances, though there it was done through traits. It's two different systems but they have the same goal, make sure alliances are desirable for the player. I liked the concept in Bert, though Bert system had some serious balance issues that never got solved since they dropped support not long after the expansion was released.. Really cool system though, I enjoyed playing it.

First post in a long time. I usually just lurk but this expansion announcement inspired me to chime in here. I just finished reading the book 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric Cline. This book made me think about the Civ games I've played since I was a kid and how they've always been about humanity constantly progressing without any backward steps or dark ages. It would be great if they could introduce dark ages in a way that also adds some fun to the gameplay.

Last edited:
New wonder spotted: Chateau Frontenac
It's right next to the Statue of Liberty on the cover.

@God of Kings happy now?

There's many minarets on the cover as well and some strange looking rocks...

Sadly, this means that there is the possibility that we've seen all but one world wonder already...

Really? Then this may indicate Canada.

If we still have some wonder to be revealed, I hope it's the Taj Mahal.

One thing to notice is that Anton Strenger, the lead designer, also worked on Beyond Earth: Rising Tide, which have a similar concept of adding more value to alliances, though there it was done through traits. It's two different systems but they have the same goal, make sure alliances are desirable for the player. I liked the concept in Bert, though Bert system had some serious balance issues that never got solved since they dropped support not long after the expansion was released.. Really cool system though, I enjoyed playing it.
I also found the BERT diplomacy system to be quite innovative. I also liked the idea of a sort of diplomatic currency that had to be spent to form specific partnerships. Endless Legend also had a system for spending influence points to make diplomatic deals (though I thought the actual implementation was terribly unbalanced).

I've always thought that these systems took something of the wrong approach though. To me, the "diplomacy points" should really reflect domestic concerns. Costs should reflect how much a Leader has to sell their own people on the deal. Deals with civilizations you have good relationships with should be cheap in terms of influence costs, and deals where you get a lot but give very little should also be cheap.

I do wonder how this Alliance system will be worked out. Will you be limited to one Alliance per civ? Will you be limited to one of each type of Alliance in total? Or perhaps even just Alliance in total?! Because if there isn't any kind of restriction, I don't think this is a particularly interesting choice. Then the only real factor in your decision is whether you want the other civilization to get the bonus. I would prefer that these deals have some kind of an opportunity-cost at least.

So I think it much more reasonable to speculate on the mechanics over the video itself. I mean I think they both offer clues, but they will, for sure, introduce one civ (it could be leader only, but I think we will see a whole civ for each as there are not that many to cover) that highlights each new mechanic.
Has anyone considered this comment

"You will watch others buckle under their own weight"

Big empires perhaps getting a negative

Top Bottom