[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Well that leak fake or not , just couple days till reveal to wait.
Although I don't think there was any claim that those civs would be revealed next, so it could be accurate but we still get one of the more likely civs this coming week. ("More likely" based on the poll that closed yesterday)

I'm going to stubbornly stick with Mali as my guess for this coming week.

Do the claims directly revolve around the Rise and Fall expansion? Is it possible that it references future civs further down the line, such as DLC and an expansion?

I don't know what the time-frame for translating these things is, but with these civ coming out in only a month - would that be enough time for proper testing and such?

What is the source for these leaks? I really hope they aren't true. I would much prefer the Mali or especially a new civ like the Ashanti over the Zulu, who were definitely not influential enough to merit inclusion in every iteration of the series. (Sidenote: Ashanti literally means 'unpeaceful' in Indic languages, so that's a funny coincidence.)
The Celts would be a bad choice as well, especially if implemented like in Civ5 where it was an unhistorical amalgamation of Ireland/Scotland/Wales under a leader who had no relation to those regions. Italy deserves a spot instead. It would be amazing to have two leaders for Italy representing different city states such as Florence and Venice, just like Greece with Gorgo and Pericles.

The Civ games probably aren't too popular in India. There's no Hindi language version of the game.
That might be the reason why Firaxis has zero plans on releasing a Hindi localization of Civ.
That's true. Around 60% of Indians don't even speak Hindi, and virtually every Indian communicates in English online, so that's why there's never a Hindi version of any game.

If, hypothetically, those leaks are true and William Wallace leads the "Celts", it is possible that he has only Scottish/Gaelic cities. Which in this case would make him a Gaelic leader.

Still a step up from Civ 5 Celts tho :))
I'm not sure it would be better. I mean it's good if they choose to focus on a particular group but calling them the Celts would just defy all reason.

Nah, it should be possible to declare war against them. It‘s armed neutrality after all.

Can send its units to fight in wars between other civs for money.

Gets Swiss Pike UU at Mercenaries. Now should they have a UI for a dairy or a UB for some sort of bank. Also Alpine Horns and Yodeling for the Music.

I'm not sure it would be better. I mean it's good if they choose to focus on a particular group but calling them the Celts would just defy all reason.
Do we know if they would be called the Celts? The could be called the Gaels/Gaelic Empire encompassing both Ireland and Scotland.
Edit: I remember now that Armagh is still a city-state though located in Northern Ireland. This complicates things.

Yeah, that's why I would hope they refered to the civ as 'Gaelic' as opposed to 'Celtic' (although it should be called Scotland). Firaxis and Sid have never been consistent on the matter (throwback to the day Byblos and Jerusalem were cities in the Egyptian and Roman city lists, not to even mention Greece and India, the original blob Civs.)

All of this is hypothetical though. I am sceptical of the leak, because passing up on the Ottomans and/OR Inca at this point would be a pretty big deal (since you can't have both of those in, if three of last 4 civs are Celts led by a man, Zulu (99% led by Shaka) and Mystery Woman with Golden/Dark Age Interaction ability) and there's no photographical evidence to support the claim.

Nah, it should be possible to declare war against them. It‘s armed neutrality after all.

Can send its units to fight in wars between other civs for money.
Regardless, Switzerland should not be able to capture non-Swiss cities, only able to bring them down to 1HP, thereby preventing Switzerland from provoking other civs to declare war on it and thus not allow Switzerland to win a domination victory.

Regardless, Switzerland should not be able to capture non-Swiss cities, only able to bring them down to 1HP, thereby preventing Switzerland from provoking other civs to declare war on it and thus not allow Switzerland to win a domination victory.
Except through loyalty pressure. But that dorsn‘t apply to capitals afaik.

Do we know if they would be called the Celts? The could be called the Gaels/Gaelic Empire encompassing both Ireland and Scotland.
Edit: I remember now that Armagh is still a city-state though located in Northern Ireland. This complicates things.
Armagh would be a shoo-in for any sensible Gaelic city list. It being in what is now Northern Ireland would be a pretty poor reason to exclude it though you never know with Firaxis. We did have Wittenberg as a CS in V after all.

Munich not being on the German list can be explained though. It was founded three years after Barbarossa's death.

The leaker has predicted many things, including Chandragupta's depiction. The leaker claims they're a localization QA that's making some tweaks to the Civilopedia.

They referenced the Zulu as something like "That African ruler from V" and specifically mentioned a warmonger.

Then there was a one-off line about "Brave Heart".

Source: Discussion from the other tread

==================

Personally, while the idea of a unicorn icon is hilarious, I'm really disappointed with this.

If it's true, R&F just looks...lackluster. most of the bigger issues we've discussed in civ communities are not being addressed. Governors have gotten a mixed response, emergencies haven't been shown at all yet (which tells me they're underwhelming) and loyalty, while nice, just restricts play styles.

Also, this XPAC seems to be discouraging warmongering a fair bit. Why include not one, not two, but potentially three all-out warfare civs?

If Scotland takes out Georgia, Italy, Inca or the Ottomans, I'm not going to feel great about it (unless their design is super, super cool).

Thinking about it more, is there a chance this isn't a civ at all? Maybe Wallace is the new GG that replaces Genghis that they didn't want to reveal in the Mongol stream?

Let's not forget that the poster was talking about localizing civilopedia pages, which exist for all elements of the game, not just leaders. With Genghis being promoted to leader there's currently a missing medieval-era Great General, and William Wallace is as good of a fit as any.

Looks like there is a big debate about something I've missed :p I've been playing EU4 as Portugal.

And I've been playing it so much that I almost forgot something: thirty-three days!

Top Bottom