[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

If we get Scots/Gaelic/Celts, Ottomans, Inca and Zulu then this expansion only has one newcomer, which still just takes the rotating 'Native North American' spot. Depending on how the Scots are portrayed, I suppose they could be seen as new as well.

Half the fun of civ games/expansions is seeing somebody new that you can dig into and learn about.

If we end up with only the Cree as a newcomer here, that would be strange.

I don't think either the Inca, Ottomans, Celts (since Boudicca is a GG) or Zulu have any significant female leaders that could play with ages. That means either the Inca or Ottomans has been cut.

If three of the four remaining leaders are men and there are three European civs, then their comments about prioritizing women and blank portions of the map were pretty misleading.

Yeah, it would be sorta nice if the teaser took us more than five minutes to solve. Then again, it is also nice not to be in shock when the FL video actually arrives and it isn't someone totally unexpected. I am torn on this one.
Don't forget that Wikipedia is one click away, solving almost every single teaser with ease.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt that the leaks are completely accurate. William Wallace as a GG, fine, but as a leader of a Celtic civ? He was merely a general for the Scottish army, not the political head. Even if the civ was just the Scots, there are a ton of better choices amongst the Scottish monarchs, some of whom could really complement the new game mechanics. Expand the civ to a Gaelic/Celtic one, and the leader list has vastly better leaders than one Scottish knight (Brian Boru, perhaps?).

Now, I can buy that maybe maybe Shaka is back-- we should at least expect that someone who has been in all five of the previous titles may pop up again (right, Genghis?). I just don't see how including both the Celts and the Zulus at the expense of a civ or two that better fits the theme of R&F and its mechanics is part of the Firaxis calculus. Maybe they are part of a DLC?

Now, I can buy that maybe maybe Shaka is back-- we should at least expect that someone who has been in all five of the previous titles may pop up again (right, Genghis?). I just don't see how including both the Celts and the Zulus at the expense of a civ or two that better fits the theme of R&F and its mechanics is part of the Firaxis calculus. Maybe they are part of a DLC?
R&F-exclusive DLC is becoming more likely. There's plenty of good choices for them.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt that the leaks are completely accurate. William Wallace as a GG, fine, but as a leader of a Celtic civ? He was merely a general for the Scottish army, not the political head. Even if the civ was just the Scots, there are a ton of better choices amongst the Scottish monarchs, some of whom could really complement the new game mechanics. Expand the civ to a Gaelic/Celtic one, and the leader list has vastly better leaders than one Scottish knight (Brian Boru, perhaps?).

My theory, if this is accurate, is that it isn't actually WW. It is a different Scot that is so ridiculously stereotypical that the guy jokingly refers to him as Brave Heart.

If so, they would need to alter the bonus. WW wasn't known for his dominant calvary tactics.
His bonus isn't specific for cavalary units, it is written as follows:
"Grants 1 promotion level and +25% combat experience to a military land unit."
So I believe WW would qualify as well as many others.

EDIT: Dang! I just realized I was talking with our profet! I beg your forgiveness for my conceitedness! :bowdown:

Last edited:
His bonus isn't specific for cavalary units, it is written as follows:
"Grants 1 promotion level and +25% combat experience to a military land unit."
So I believe WW would qualify as well as many others.

EDIT: Dang! I just realized I was talking with our profet! I beg your forgiveness for my conceitedness! :bowdown:
That would indeed be a great bonus for William Wallace.

I just don't see including Shaka and Ghengis in the same expansion, especially with Alex already out in DLC. Seems like they'd save him for the next expansion. Though who knows, weren't people annoyed when he wasn't in the base game/first expansion for 5?

Subutai is also likely to replace Genghis Khan as well.

Wish he was a Mongol unique Great General. It just doesn't feel right for Subutai to work for anyone else. :(

No Mongol general played a greater role than Subotei Ba'atur in establishing and maintaining the early Mongol Empire. Trusted commander and retainer of Cinggis, later highly respected servant of Ogodei and Guyuk, Subotei served with great distinction in every phase of Mongolian national development during the first four decades of empire. When he first entered the service of Temujin, the later Cinggis Qan, the realm of that minor Mongol chieftan comprised only a few families. In his old age, Subotei saw a mighty dominion stretching from the borders of Hungary to the Sea of Japan, from the outskirts of Novgorod to the Persian Gulf and the Yangtze River. He had no small part in creating it."
— Paul Buell

Ed. Igor de Rachewiltz (1993). In the Service of the Khan.

Last edited:
Who do you think is more likely to replace Genghis Khan as great general then? William Wallace? Subutai? Someone else from the Medieval era?

I am sure it will be Subutai. He's the right era and he certainly qualifies as a Great General. Quite possibly the greatest ever, IMO.

I was just musing that it would have been nice for him to be a Mongol unique Great General.

Perhaps in Civ VII. :)

I have the feeling that Subutai would replace Genghis Khan as Great General. I would not be surprised if William Wallace were to replace Genghis Khan instead.

That makes more sense than him as the leader of the Celts

What do we think the uniques might be for a Scots/Scottish civ v. a Celts civ? If that turns out to be more than a throw away line.

Top Bottom