[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

If the new mechanics are implemented correctly, this expansion may very well be the biggest change to the civ franchise ever. Up to now, every civ game has basically been linear. If you play the early game right, you basically know if you will win or not by the mid game. With these changes, we may actually get a more open ended game where the leader in the early game is not the final winner. This will be a huge change to the civ game.

Right now i have smaller goals, like hoping that the civs I join with on the "Emergency" liberation missions don't hate me for being a warmonger ;)

Kidding aside, I can't help but be excited about this announcement.

Cultural loyalty is a good addition and may mean the death of forward settling, as nobody could forward settle easily in civ 4 randomly without losing a city.

It will certainly not be missed,

I think we will see the return of Wu Zetian.
That would be a shame. I like her, and while Qin was an extremely safe choice China doesn't top the list of civs that need new leaders. India, Egypt, and France definitely take priority there.

What's this orange grass in the tundra? A natural wonder?

The orange stuff looks like a type of tree - a mod I tried recently had different strategic and luxury resources and contained two or three different kinds of woods - each giving different yields (in the mod, maple trees were orange, oaks were green). Perhaps something like that. Can't wait to find out!

Very impressive list of features, I'm really looking forward to this. I just hope the Linux release will also be on 8 February...
As Mac person myself, I can definitely sympathize. But way back in the days of civ3 I realized that expansions and mods were always going to be delayed or just not available to non-PC platforms so I have always maintained a Windows machine just for civ.

They always said they wouldn't do dark ages ... interesting to see how this works out.
Also, not sure about 'storytelling moments', I prefer a sandbox. We'll see!!

I personally always thought it was a mistake to rule out negative events in the game......just as long as they weren't entirely random and/or unavoidable. If they do this right, then Civilization VI could well & truly take its place as the very best Civilization Game I have ever played. I am already loving the sound of concepts like loyalty, governors & different types of alliances. Now I can only hope that they also make envoy placement more dynamic & interesting.

Given the title of the expansion, am I the only one who thinks that-maybe-they have used Rhy's mod for Civilization IV as inspiration?

Last edited:
I sense Civ VI is going to transcend to the next level of broke :cringe:
You know where the door is. I sense that we could be getting the best game in the entire franchise.

Moderator Action: Let's keep the personal stuff out of it and concentrate on the announcement please --NobleZarkon

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's much doubt that calling the expansion Rise and Fall wasn't an homage to Rhye's and Fall, at least in part. The term "rise and fall" in relations to Civ already had a pre-established meaning, an official one too considering it was included in BtS.

Given the title of the expansion, am I the only one who thinks that-maybe-thry have used Rhy's mod for Civilization IV as inspiration?
Seeing as his title was a play on the phrase anyways the naming is kinda meaningless. That being said I am sure they have all played it and may have enjoyed features that were highlighted I would think it is less "how do we make the game more like that mod" and more, "what concepts from that mod made it so popular". From there it was how to fit in into the current framework. I think they sum it up well with wanting to capture that ebb and flow of a civ over time. That is something that was really missing. In the game there was only one direction upwards there was no real backlash to that, other that total defeat. By throwing in some speed bumps it should make for a more dynamic experience.

Something I learned from reading a german article on the announcement. I guess most is already well known.
  • Government districts gives governor points
  • one of the new wonders gives governor points (Archive General de Indias?)
  • the diplomatic governor (female, no name stated) can be employed in city states where she counts as a whole bunch of envoys and reduces loyalty in nearby foreign cities
  • if you employ the diplomatic governor 'at home,' she increases how other civs think about you
  • the castellan governor helps defending your territory
  • with every governor point, you can decide to upgrade your existing governors or recruit new ones
  • if there is an emergency and you don't reach your goal in the given time frame (e.g. convert city X or capture city X), the other player gets a permanent bonus
  • new hidden agendas
  • improved interface
  • improved AI (Beach guarantees that the AI will know how to use loyalty)
  • the magazine states that they are waiting for the the Byzantines, and they would fit the topic [this is their opinion, not Firaxis']
  • they say it will be dangerous to have small cities on your borders when neighboring foreign cities are large. This will reduce loyalty in the smaller city potentially making them flip. So a bit like in civ IV, but with population instead of culture ?!?
  • Spies can reduce loyalty in foreign cities

Last edited:
Seeing as his title was a play on the phrase anyways the naming is kinda meaningless. That being said I am sure they have all played it and may have enjoyed features that were highlighted I would think it is less "how do we make the game more like that mod" and more, "what concepts from that mod made it so popular". From there it was how to fit in into the current framework. I think they sum it up well with wanting to capture that ebb and flow of a civ over time. That is something that was really missing. In the game there was only one direction upwards there was no real backlash to that, other that total defeat. By throwing in some speed bumps it should make for a more dynamic experience.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that they were just lifting the mod & updating it for Civ6. Its just that both the name, & some of the core concepts, reminded me very strongly of Rhy's mod :). I mean that in a positive way.

Cultural loyalty is a good addition and may mean the death of forward settling, as nobody could forward settle easily in civ 4 randomly without losing a city.

It will certainly not be missed,

I wonder if the AI will get the memo. They been quite erratic on their settling behavior. The game I'm playing now is a complete mess, every Civ have cities built way too far of their territory, Nubia keep sending settlers south where there's no tile available, not even a bad spot, while there still plenty of territory for her to settle near her territory. If the AI keep doing that, they will lose a lot of cities to loyalty. At least one leader will get the city of another, so if Nubia build a city in the middle Greece territory, that city will inevitably become Greek. Order through caos.

https://twitter.com/antonstrenger/status/935621956883402752

According to Anton, the two new improvements are the ones that are connected to Governors (Fisheries and City Parks). So that Polar Research Station and the green-domed castle with a harbor must be Wonders or unique improvements.

also then what is the coney island/santa monica pier on the water? I'm inclined to agree city parks and fisheries would have to be the governor enabled tile improvements. unless they did simply change entertainment complexes to be buildable on land or coast, or maybe that's a new city state bonus feature

Top Bottom