1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Right now i have smaller goals, like hoping that the civs I join with on the "Emergency" liberation missions don't hate me for being a warmonger ;)

Kidding aside, I can't help but be excited about this announcement.

2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Cultural loyalty is a good addition and may mean the death of forward settling, as nobody could forward settle easily in civ 4 randomly without losing a city.

It will certainly not be missed,

3. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

I really would like a TSL map of Europe, please.

conorbebe and Kimiimaro like this.
  4. SWY

SWY Prince

Very impressive list of features, I'm really looking forward to this. I just hope the Linux release will also be on 8 February...

5. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

That would be a shame. I like her, and while Qin was an extremely safe choice China doesn't top the list of civs that need new leaders. India, Egypt, and France definitely take priority there.

6. ThoomerBottoms

ThoomerBottoms Chieftain

The orange stuff looks like a type of tree - a mod I tried recently had different strategic and luxury resources and contained two or three different kinds of woods - each giving different yields (in the mod, maple trees were orange, oaks were green). Perhaps something like that. Can't wait to find out!

7. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

As Mac person myself, I can definitely sympathize. But way back in the days of civ3 I realized that expansions and mods were always going to be delayed or just not available to non-PC platforms so I have always maintained a Windows machine just for civ.

8. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

I personally always thought it was a mistake to rule out negative events in the game......just as long as they weren't entirely random and/or unavoidable. If they do this right, then Civilization VI could well & truly take its place as the very best Civilization Game I have ever played. I am already loving the sound of concepts like loyalty, governors & different types of alliances. Now I can only hope that they also make envoy placement more dynamic & interesting.

Noble Zarkon and Zaarin like this.
  9. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Given the title of the expansion, am I the only one who thinks that-maybe-they have used Rhy's mod for Civilization IV as inspiration?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Duuk and TDK like this.
  10. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

You know where the door is. I sense that we could be getting the best game in the entire franchise.

Moderator Action: Let's keep the personal stuff out of it and concentrate on the announcement please --NobleZarkon

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
    rastak and Zaarin like this.
  11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

maybe, but it might just be that "Rise and Fall of the Roman Civilization" was inspiration for both.

Craig_Sutter and Zaarin like this.
  12. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Prince

I don't think there's much doubt that calling the expansion Rise and Fall wasn't an homage to Rhye's and Fall, at least in part. The term "rise and fall" in relations to Civ already had a pre-established meaning, an official one too considering it was included in BtS.

TDK, Zaarin, Ondolindë and 1 other person like this.
  13. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Seeing as his title was a play on the phrase anyways the naming is kinda meaningless. That being said I am sure they have all played it and may have enjoyed features that were highlighted I would think it is less "how do we make the game more like that mod" and more, "what concepts from that mod made it so popular". From there it was how to fit in into the current framework. I think they sum it up well with wanting to capture that ebb and flow of a civ over time. That is something that was really missing. In the game there was only one direction upwards there was no real backlash to that, other that total defeat. By throwing in some speed bumps it should make for a more dynamic experience.

14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Something I learned from reading a german article on the announcement. I guess most is already well known.
    • Government districts gives governor points
    • one of the new wonders gives governor points (Archive General de Indias?)
    • the diplomatic governor (female, no name stated) can be employed in city states where she counts as a whole bunch of envoys and reduces loyalty in nearby foreign cities
    • if you employ the diplomatic governor 'at home,' she increases how other civs think about you
    • the castellan governor helps defending your territory
    • with every governor point, you can decide to upgrade your existing governors or recruit new ones
    • if there is an emergency and you don't reach your goal in the given time frame (e.g. convert city X or capture city X), the other player gets a permanent bonus
    • new hidden agendas
    • improved interface
    • improved AI (Beach guarantees that the AI will know how to use loyalty)
    • the magazine states that they are waiting for the the Byzantines, and they would fit the topic [this is their opinion, not Firaxis']
    • they say it will be dangerous to have small cities on your borders when neighboring foreign cities are large. This will reduce loyalty in the smaller city potentially making them flip. So a bit like in civ IV, but with population instead of culture ?!?
    • Spies can reduce loyalty in foreign cities

15. juanpavo

juanpavo Warlord

:lol:

nzcamel and Aussie_Lurker like this.
  16. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that they were just lifting the mod & updating it for Civ6. Its just that both the name, & some of the core concepts, reminded me very strongly of Rhy's mod :). I mean that in a positive way.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

https://twitter.com/antonstrenger/status/935621956883402752

According to Anton, the two new improvements are the ones that are connected to Governors (Fisheries and City Parks). So that Polar Research Station, the pier, and the green-domed castle with a harbor must be Wonders, districts, or unique improvements.

Leathaface, Hawke9, conorbebe and 4 others like this.
  18. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

I wonder if the AI will get the memo. They been quite erratic on their settling behavior. The game I'm playing now is a complete mess, every Civ have cities built way too far of their territory, Nubia keep sending settlers south where there's no tile available, not even a bad spot, while there still plenty of territory for her to settle near her territory. If the AI keep doing that, they will lose a lot of cities to loyalty. At least one leader will get the city of another, so if Nubia build a city in the middle Greece territory, that city will inevitably become Greek. Order through caos.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  19. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Must be a wonder then, considering it's Russia who built it in the screenshot.

20. JacquesBquick

JacquesBquick Chieftain

also then what is the coney island/santa monica pier on the water? I'm inclined to agree city parks and fisheries would have to be the governor enabled tile improvements. unless they did simply change entertainment complexes to be buildable on land or coast, or maybe that's a new city state bonus feature