[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

I think the issue is actually the reverse. Mountains are pretty common in Civ VI, so it wouldn't be too difficult to find a city that could build Machu Picchu. Rather, a mountain is an explicitly useless tile, for which there's no drawback to using it up for a wonder. The reason wonders in Civ VI are placed directly on the map is to make them compete with districts and improvements in terms of placement. Do you build a wonder, or do you save that tile for something else? With a mountain, that question is already answered, since there's nothing else you could put there.

That really isn't an issue in most cases. I often have 4-5 wonders in process of being built in 4-5 cities. Loosing 1 tile or even 5 to districts does not really impinge on the overall cities ability to grow or produce. The actual land it is on and near does, how you use that land etc.

Whilst I understand the claimed intention to force land to be an important factor.. you cannot farm or mine water.. but you can put certain wonders there, you cannot farm or mine snow or desert, but you can put districts and wonders there, some require it. There really is no feasible reason to not force specific wonders, esp those that actually got built on mountains.. to be placed on mountains.

Because it doesn't make sense thematically and it doesn't really serve a gameplay purpose to deny other Civs the ability to build districts on them, in my opinion.

What do you mean by not making any sense thematically? The gameplay purpose is to create a negative with floodplains, like the poor health in Civ IV.

Forgot to mention that, thank you.

Another option:

Pomare of Tahiti

Spoiler :

If Tahiti is in the game, I bet they get something related to reefs--an ability to build on them plus something else or just a reef bonus plus something else.

As a big fan of huge, loud orchestrated music, I must say... I just felt in love with the atomic version of Scotland the Brave. I'm just listening it repeatedly at work since an hour, and I won't stop soon I guess :crazyeye:
With the Brazilian and Australian atomic themes, I just find my third favourite music of the game. So powerful, the orchestration is a real délice.
Maybe, just for the music, Scotland will be my first civ to play :lol:

That really isn't an issue in most cases. I often have 4-5 wonders in process of being built in 4-5 cities. Loosing 1 tile or even 5 to districts does not really impinge on the overall cities ability to grow or produce. The actual land it is on and near does, how you use that land etc.

Whilst I understand the claimed intention to force land to be an important factor.. you cannot farm or mine water.. but you can put certain wonders there, you cannot farm or mine snow or desert, but you can put districts and wonders there, some require it. There really is no feasible reason to not force specific wonders, esp those that actually got built on mountains.. to be placed on mountains.

Oh I agree. The mountain wonders absolutely should go on mountains. I was just describing what I see as the logic behind it.

The penguin is a nice touch, and I love the electronic music.

But the wonder itself seems way too expensive for how late it comes in the game to be of any real use.

If you're ahead in Culture, but not Science, it might help you slingshot your Science up.

Yeah but you need a fully developed Snow City to get it. I mean, it has to have five snow tiles (which I guess is optional) and be a place you care about enough to develop the campus all the way up. Seems like a lot of investment for something that comes late. Still I like it and could lead to interesting decisions.

The Amundsen-Scott Research Station vid on Twitter: grants bonus Science and Production in all cities, extra yields from Snow Hill tiles in that city, and extra Great Scientist points per turn!

Edit: all cities!

Extra Yields are confirmed? Ghisker posted the screencap in the stream thread and I’m not able to find mention to this...

Extra Yields are confirmed? Ghisker posted the screencap in the stream thread and I’m not able to find mention to this...

I think they (confusingly) mean that the science and production bonuses of the wonder are boosted by snow tiles. Unless it's changed since the press build went out. The wonder that boosts the tile yields themselves is St Basil's (and that's Tundra).

I think they (confusingly) mean that the science and production bonuses of the wonder are boosted by snow tiles. Unless it's changed since the press build went out. The wonder that boosts the tile yields themselves is St Basil's (and that's Tundra).

Yes, I did not notce he was reporting the twitter headline. They are not quite clar with them, and yes, probably they are quoting the extra bonus if you met the required number of snow tiles.

Edit: Gotta love the Portal-esque wonder tune! :)

Penguin spotted!
That right there is more incentive to build it. :thumbsup:
Now we just need a panda with some China wonder/natural wonder
Or at least add one to the zoo.

Yeah but you need a fully developed Snow City to get it. I mean, it has to have five snow tiles (which I guess is optional) and be a place you care about enough to develop the campus all the way up. Seems like a lot of investment for something that comes late. Still I like it and could lead to interesting decisions.
If you're ahead in Culture, but not Science, it might help you slingshot your Science up.

One thing I like about Civ VI is that location is really key in your strategy and often question how people could say that they play the same strategy and game overtime. I guess you could in certain situations. But, I usually take a while just thinking about how to go about it and how I will take my surroundings to my advantage, especially before someone else does the same. Anyway, as any wonder, this one would have to be planned ahead considering if you have a nearby and suitable location, and if it is necessary in how you want to go about winning the game or even just playing the game. But you would have to make the decision if you really need the science and can actually build it to be worthwhile to you, but it could really propel you forward like @Eagle Pursuit says. As a wonder monger, I was frustrated at first with Civ VI having gameplay limits to just building every wonder you could possibly research, but I got the rationale behind it from the beginning. It makes sense. So, I look for the ones that will help me the most and include them in my strategy (sometimes I am greedy, though. Sue me!). I will, of course, find the very first opportunity to build this one, maybe intentionally, and probably just to see how it is and how it looks in a real game, especially at night, and, of course, how it plays in the game. Science in every city is great, and a point for scientist could be just right if you want to snatch those last ones. Who knows, you might be aiming for a cultural victory and end up with a science one.

If you're building a purpose-made city in the late game just for this Wonder, yeah. That's going to be a struggle. But if you can tell before mid-game that you will be playing catch-up science-wise, you can get the city in decent shape before you need to build the ASRS.

Non Sequitur:

On Steam, which country is abbreviated as CN? Canada? China? Cameroon?

Top Bottom