1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Vandlys

Vandlys King

Thanks guys. I also quickly checked the guide WillowBrook pointed me to and I think I get it now. To me it doesn't make any real-world sense, even following Leyrann's logic. You could still use an aquaduct to transport water to other parts of the city and districts (i.e. the housing district called aquaduct). Just because some people live at the edge of the city with access to the river, doesn't mean the rest of us don't want water! : P

Katakanja likes this.
  2. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

But the western tile also has river to the north. :confused:

3. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Indeed, it can be a very "gamey" mechanic at times. I wonder if the only reason that they restricted certain tiles is something to do with the aqueduct graphic looking really weird if forced to bend at certain angles :think:

Vandlys likes this.
  4. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

It's mostly a graphical thing. Aqueduct needs to carry water from one side of the hex to another. In this case it would be forced to send water from the same side of the hex it sends the water to. (Hope this language construct looks ok in English). This would look quite weird.

Vandlys likes this.
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

What makes A different to B? I can see nothing

upload_2018-2-10_11-48-51.png

6. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

It should be viable, but I think it's something to do with the fact that the river cuts through the tile horizontally, which might be a bug or just an arbitrary limitation because of the way river graphics are drawn onto the map (the fact that they don't adhere rigidly to the hex grid, but "flow naturally".)

I've seen tiles like that have the same problem before, it can be frustrating, particularly when you are using civ's like Rome or Khmer and you settle cities specifically to make use of their Unique aqueducts only to find out you can't put the district where you planned to. :mad:

EDIT: Also, what tile is under the city info screen? Does that look like the edge of another river obscured by the city borders coming from the SE? It might just be a trick of the shadows on the hills though :confused:

7. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Yes, this tile should be. Probably some other rule we aren't aware of, or a bug.

8. Victoria

oh come on, it breaks the written rules as percieved, just admit its a bug and be done with it or come up with an alternative that is not about how its drawn. We all make mistakes, these are the things we learn best. I make mistakes all the time, I do not think worse of others for errors.

That dear sir, is not possible, Rivers are at tile edges and must be despite depiction which is at best very very slightly into the tile

9. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

:confused:

I'm just speculating here...

10. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Whenever you're ready.

That's a flood plains tile.

11. Weraptor

Weraptor King

In my first (and last so far) game, AI was quite fond of filling up its districts - especially Poundmaker built a commercial hub in seemingly each of his 12 city empire. He must've also built tons of markets, banks and exchange centers because he was getting 42 great merchant points per turn. In the victory graph, his gold balance was just bonkers. Damn, just damn.

12. Victoria

Is it? I will grant one did not consider that - see I will own up ... did you mention earlier? Do we know for sure?

The business is still based on flawed reasoning initially :):) but full credit for the right answer. Make sure ytou are the boss and keep Kata away from any graphical work

Vandlys likes this.
  13. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Omg, now everything makes sense!

I think you can see it at the edge right beneath the borders.

Vandlys and Victoria like this.
  14. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Did you harvest a bonus resource on Tile A? In my last game I couldn't build Aqueducts on tiles on which I had previously harvested a resource.

ETA: also that tile is regular river plains? am I missing something?

Victoria likes this.
  15. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

You can see that the line between desert and plains extends from the Encampment to NE. As it's next to a river, it has to be flood plains.

Vandlys likes this.
  16. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

That can't be true though. Floodplains is a feature exclusive to desert river tiles.

17. Eramas

Eramas Warlord

"That's why it may take some time (I mean more than a day, waaay more), if the patch is big or if there're some breaking changes."

and

"That's a lot of small changes everywhere, and some big changes. Might take about the same amount of time that it took us to fix the mod after the fall 2017 patch. At the very least one week."

18. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Ok, in a few words, I am loving R&F so far. I wasn't as lucky as many of you that could play from the get go, but managed to start playing Thursday night. Took the Cree out for a spin and I love them. Haven't finished the game yet, although I played a few hours last night. I guess I am just taking my time as I usually do. And of course everything seems new and exciting, so I end up reading up on everything, civilopedia, this forum, etc. I am ecstatic by discovering the little changes here and there, and playing the new mechanics like literally sweating it out trying to get a GA. Managed to get three in a row, but the last two were just too close for comport, just in the nick of time and surprisingly so (I guess I had made a decision turns ahead that panned out on the very last turn possible). Don't even ask me how much I love the Timeline popping up and telling me I did something right! So I got that achievement out of the way. Unfortunately, I doubt there will be a fourth GA. I guess I can work the achievements for DA while at it. Would love to say more, will sometime later, but got to go back to my first game, ok? Long 4 day Carnival weekend here so a R&F true real deep dive happening! The cherry on top? I am a Mac user and I was playing on release day. Who's said we had to wait a month and a half? :nono:

Edit: another icing on the cake has been not wanting to play with any mods (not that many work) but just enjoying things as they are. I think that helps me learn and get used to the mechanics. But it has added a level of difficulty because I couldn't remember how to play with the UI. So, CQUI, I can wait for you. Sometimes a la naturale is just as fun. And no, I am not playing naked.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Victoria likes this.
  19. Gabhar

Gabhar Warlord

Is anybody else having trouble creating alliances? Seems like the AI ally with each other willy nilly but they refuse to pal up with me regardless of how positive our relationship is.

20. Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark Prince

Don't know where to ask this, but does Ancestral Hall only work for city in which it is built? I thought it applies to all cities, but I have it built, I am running Colonization policy and I only get 100% bonus in GP city, in others I have 50% only.

EDIT: I checked more cities and I seem to get 100% also in capital, but not in any other city.