1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Sycophant admires those who are in a golden age. Sympathizer takes pity on those who are in a dark age.

2. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Sympathizer gives a bonus when you are in dark age and malus when in golden age, Gossip likes when you interact diplomatically with them, Curmudgeon hates opposite sex, Flirtatious likes opposite sex and Sycophant not entierly sure, but I think it likes you when you are in a golden age.

3. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Chieftain

My first game I had Persia five hexes away from me...

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

They combine yes and thank goodness. Spy levels can get pretty high otherwise... but TBH you would not take police state unless you had potala or similar as the better second spy card is def Machiavellianism. Spies are expensive, luckily their cost is not linear but rather tied to their number so you need the 50% becuase you will loose some. Its trhe 25% mission reduction time that makes spies worth playing, especially combined with the 50%... a strong card... but yes, late and on the defensive they may be the best pair I guess.

5. PYITE

PYITE Chieftain

In the base game Teddy (environmental) and Gandhi (nukes) have preferred 2nd agendas that they will always get. These are the first that I have seen that only cause it to be a percentage more likely.

@thecrazyscot has a mod that removes the preferred 2nd agendas for Ted and Gandhi in vanilla, maybe he will be making one for RF?

Thormodr likes this.
  6. SaMatra

SaMatra Chieftain

So, first game and AI is still stupid as hell. Absolutely terrible at micro managing their army. As soon as their units are at critical health they simply fortify instead of running away or moving healthy units to front. Another episode, 5 warriors around my capital at the beginning, could've capped it in 2 turns, yet they danced around it trying to encroach it completely for some reason, while my two archers destroyed them. Why there is no outrage about WORST AI IN THE SERIES? I'm done, wake me up in few years at next expansion.

7. Weraptor

Weraptor Chieftain

Huh, I noticed AI's waging war capability has improved instead.

DeutschDachs, Leyrann and Thormodr like this.
  8. SaMatra

SaMatra Chieftain

Looks 1:1 to me, no improvement at micromanagement what so ever. Same stupid moves, completely losing any macro advantages they had.

Zike likes this.
  9. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I got humiliated by a City-State. Lost most of the Korean army in my attempt to defeat Kandy...

10. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Chieftain

AI is getting better with each update. Most improvements seem to be on macro level this time. Not combat AI. I’ve seen the AI made some smart moves in my last game.

Thormodr likes this.
  11. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

You should be able to insert this line:

DELETE FROM AgendaPreferredLeaders;

into any mod sql file and you should be good to go. That will delete everything from the table.

PYITE and agonistes like this.
  12. jsteele14

jsteele14 Chieftain

Any word for when CQUI will be ready?

13. jsteele14

jsteele14 Chieftain

Have you felt that flipping cities is too easy? Wiping out the entire civilization peacefully seems extreme. Are there any issues if a city of a friendly neighbor goes independent and then you conquer it? I would think the original civilization would get pissed.

14. Acken

Acken Chieftain

So...
    More of the same or real improvements to the game ? Like GnK for Civ5 or more like Rise and Tides for CivBE ? Could it change one's opinion of base game ? All I see on front page instead of the usual praises/hating are thread about the new traits.

15. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

I'm hoping so. I haven't that re-subscribed at the moment while waiting to see if it's compatible.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  16. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

I had intel that Scotland was aiming for a Domination Victory, which I never saw with any civ in the base game - though it's so far not declared war on anyone. Has anyone seen the AI attempt domination?

Now far enough in my game to have a few more informed opinions. Era seems to be the real game changer - I spent most of my time fighting for era score (and getting historic moments seems very difficult as the game goes on (on Immortal, and making much slower progress on a huge map than in my last Immortal game, I've yet to discover any techs/civics before anyone else - at turn 183 I'm still 8 techs behind Scotland, who are second in tech. I haven't met the tech leader, but they have a frightening number of GS points) - I had 6 in the Medieval Era, falling from a Golden to a Dark Age as a result, and 1 in the Renaissance. The entire Renaissance was spent faith-rushing in a barely successful attempt to escape a Dark Age with Exodus of the Evangelists.

I learned the downsides of being in a Dark Age the hard way - I settled a site close to Scotland, that would have been secure in a normal age, but without having invested in entertainment districts nearby I couldn't prevent it from flipping, and eventually becoming Scottish as my small army was elsewhere. It may just be unfamiliarity with the new mechanics, but for the first time when playing Civ VI - including early games when I also didn't know the mechanics - I felt the game was capable of punishing mistakes, something I've been clamouring for. Though had I taken more notice of the age I was in and settled a safer spot, I'm not sure I'd have noticed any disadvantage from being in a Dark Age beyond being further from a Golden Age.

I actually like the colour changes with different ages, though golden ages had looked too bright from screenshots and videos.

I've had limited interactions with AIs - I've met two (despite the late game stage I haven't explored across the sea yet), both male leaders with the flirtatious traits (I'm Amanitore) - that, along with my tendency not to upset their primary agendas (it's pretty hard to upset Lautaro's main agenda unless you're doing terribly anyway), have made me firm friends with both. I'm using them for alliance bonuses, though am in a low-production area and have had trouble getting enough trade routes online. They seem to produce more units than previously, and a better mix (or at least more ranged) - though they've taken to doing odd things like moving towards camps and just sitting around being hit by barbarians, and failing to take even empty camps next door.

As far as civilian life is concerned, I haven't paid enough attention to their city placement, but Scotland in particular seems rather unfocused - Robert's spammed religion while at the same time switching between chosen culture and domination victories. I'm not sure how well he's doing for amenities since his GP points aren't excessive - but some undiscovered civs have some impressively high GP output (one undiscovered AI, which I presume is the tech leader, has 19 GS points. I've rarely ever seen that before, which suggests the AI is better at building campuses and science buildings at least.

sonicmyst likes this.
  17. jsteele14

jsteele14 Chieftain

When an emergency occurs, is there a way to see who accepted it? I just did one and would like to know who is in it with me but do not see that anywhere.

18. lohaller

lohaller Chieftain

I have only accepted so far and to my knowledge you se whose joined after you accepted it and the war starts

19. aimlessgun

aimlessgun Chieftain

Has anyone had issues with making alliances? I'm cree and recently got Civil service, am DoF with 7 civs but I cannot make an alliance with any of them. I know it requires Civil service on both sides, but what are the odds 0 out of 7 have it in an Immortal game in 10 AD. Something feels wrong.

EDIT: Hah, completely missed the thing telling me I had to select an alliance type.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  20. Roald Amundsen

Roald Amundsen Chieftain

I fired up my first game and I must say I had forgotten how awful the unmodded UI is, makes the game almost unplayable for me. The good thing is a modded UI will arrive and fix this. Anyway, this game was only on emperor, I was playing Korea, going fast for science and, while I was preparing for iron, with a good army of a few warriors, some archers and a couple of chariots, I decided to teach Wilhelmina a lession. You won't believe what happened next. I get swarmed with Swordsmen, Chariots, Archers and even a few Catapults for good measure. She didn't have a single warrior or slinger. This has never happened to me before. Yeah, I was playing sloppy, I didn't check her Military Score (I'm too used to CQUI and without it informations is so many clicks away it really gets tiresome), but my game was going well and I was certain, based on previous games, I had the upper hand. Guess not. Actually I had to plead for peace, which I got for free. Guess now I'll just have to wait for a proper UI and maybe this game will be fine one day! :)

agonistes likes this.