1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Your country has some of the most interesting designs for curling pants.

Builderphile likes this.
  2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

You don't get era points from conquering a non-capital. I'll admit I'm not sure wheter city states count as capitals though.

Anyways, there's enough era points to get. Great People, high adjacency districts (I chopped a Holy Site just to ensure a Heroic Age in my current game), dedications, wonders (3-4 each!), and that's just the ones that are (almost) infinitely repeatable (except districts but you get it for each of 5 or 6 districts). Or some of them, it's not like I've been going through the list of historic moments to make sure I caught them all.

3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Stick with Civ 2 - it's probably more your style.

The AI still makes mistakes, but it's far less important when playing against
    25+ civs on ludicrous (200x100) maps at > epic pace. It might not suit you, your
    rig, or your level of patience, but I haven't seen anybody claiming they can win
    consistently with a high score at Emperor level or higher.

It was the same in Civ 5. The AI was very average on small maps with only 8 or
    so civs, but I didn't see anyone winning consistently with England on Gedemon's
    Ynamp TSL map at > Emperor level and against 25+ other civs.

I guess some people need the adulation, but bragging about winning on small maps
    against a few civs is like cheering yourself for beating a 5 year old at
    tic-tac-toe.

Moderator Action: Please discuss the topic and not the play style of others. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018
  4. 54teltakt

54teltakt Chieftain

what turntimes do you have in the last third of your game? and what are your specs ?

5. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

The loyalty system leads to some silly situations. I conquered a close civ, but left him one city, which is quite surrounded by my cities (not from all sides). The initial flip to free city took something around 30 turns (removing the civ from the game) and I captured the city by force (playing as Zulu and thus getting one unit to corps for free). Before I decided what to do with the city, I swapped all the tiles with my closest city (essentially stealing the tiles from his city) and then I liberated it to him (bringing him back to the game and getting some warmonger penalties removed).
    Now it takes just around 5 turns for this city to flip to free, I capture it (improve another unit) and give it back to him. Endless loop and warmonger decrease and unit improvement to corps/army.

6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Yes, but you are the one locked into that endless loop.
    If you enjoy that kind of grind, fine. :)

7. TonkaTruck

TonkaTruck Chieftain

Is anyone else's music and sound effects not standing the test of time?
    I play on epic speed and it is a problem, having so many sound glitches and being forced to restart my game a lot isn't very fun.
    Also i've noticed very aggressive great generals lately, often "attacking" on their own, maybe they're not common sense coded or missed the line where they should be attached to a unit to be effective?
    That said i'm really enjoying R&F, it wasn't a groundbreaking change in the way BNW was but then again the base game is actually good this time around.

Meluhhan likes this.
  8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

It seems that the the "sneaky" change introduced into the expansion is that I can actually grow my cities now. Yeah they added the restriction that the districts need a building to do most useful things, but it seems okay because you can actually get your settlements up to useful size.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Craig_Sutter and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  11. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

Yea, sure. So far I've done it only twice and just for fun. But what to do? Of course I dont have to capture the city by force and get the promotions, but the city will flip to me anyway and I will refuse it, because I dont want it. The endless loop will stillbbe there...

12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

13. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

14. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Right click the image in the tweet -> view image -> save image as. That will give you the banner in the best possible resolution, but I don't know if that will look any good once blown up to fit whatever resolution your desktop is actually running at.

15. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Thanx for the refresher. The resolution is satisfactory (just a little pixelization).

Eagle Pursuit and Katakanja like this.
  16. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

Really want to try for a Religious victory since it's the only one I've never had (and largely ignored). I've stuck to mostly the R&F Civ's but not married to that idea so what civ would you recommend? Russia for the Lavra? Arabia? Tamar seems weak but honestly I'm not really sure. Was going to almost pick the Dutch just because I like them despite no religious bonuses

17. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Russia, Poland, Arabia, Gandhi's India, Khmer, Spain. I wouldn't reccomend trying Kongo for obvious reason :p

ChocolateShake and Duuk like this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Russia and Arabia are good for getting religion. Same for Japan with the half priced holy sites.

IIRC Spain's LUA also applies to religious units, making them good for religious victory non-withstanding getting a religion (cause you'll always be fighting a different religion for religious units - warning this also applies to Defender of the Faith, making any AI that takes it a pita to beat in religious combat). Poland is good if you want a more militaristic victory. Khmer + the reliquaries belief can get some crazy faith output, though I actually ended up with a cultural victory instead of a religious one with that approach.

19. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Did a deity game with Shaka. *laughs in Ikandas* :p

ChocolateShake likes this.
  20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Sometimes I worry so much about getting into a golden age. And it causes me stress. :) I know I shouldn't stress so much about achieving a normal or golden age, but I do worry about it. I still like the mechanic, but I just don't like the worry part of it. I find myself building Taj Mahal every game just to help alleviate some of that stress. I'm not sure how viable Taj Mahal is at higher levels, but I've been able to build it so far.

The mechanic reminds me of games with time limits, I'm looking at you Xcom2. And I don't care for time limits.