1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I don't mind getting into it or not, but I've fallen like two points short a few times. It just seems like a giant waste. I need better planning--to either hurry up with some new milestone, or to hold back a bit until the age changes.

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Of course I also stress about all the excess points I get after I already crossed the threshold for golden age. :) I hate wasting all those points, and I'm pretty sure they don't carry over. But I won't stop progress on my infrastructure trying to time things out, I hate that kind of micromanagement. And yes, I stress about a lot of things apparently. :) Still, Taj Mahal is still great to not have to worry so much about achieving normal ages, even if you have a lot of excess points.

Jackanape, Duuk, ombak and 2 others like this.
  3. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

I am still in my first game and besides the normal ancient era I've had 4 golden ages, nothing else. Playing as Zulu, so no special bonuses for ages. And especially the last golden age was with a huuuuuuge overflow of era points.
    Is this normal? Is it so easy?

4. Magil

Magil Monarch

I do not know, but I have had a similar experience. I'm sure my preference for playing on Epic speed with a tech/civic-slowdown mod influences it to some degree.

5. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

I’ve played 2-3 games now and a bunch of half play then restart games and I’ve yet to be in a dark age, no matter what difficulty (including deity). I know others have but it seems like I just get normal age without even trying. I’d like to experience a dark age to see it but it seems too easy to get normal. I’m playing as Georgia so a dark age would be great to have a possible heroic age and really use the bonus

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Ha, normally I don't like too much golden age excess points, but I'm kind of proud of this one. This shows how imbalanced warmongering is for getting golden age points. Granted, I did a Looot of warmongering with the Zulu. I needed 108 to get a golden age, I got 173. picture below in spoiler tags. edit: 176 after pressing end turn and meeting Indonesia and getting 2 points from Nationalism.

I'm thinking Firaxis needs to give peaceful players a little something for getting golden ages to help balance this out.

Spoiler :

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I overshot the golden age threshold by about that much a couple of times playing peaceful. Georgia is a really good Civ for that.

8. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I found a good dedicationfor peaceful players in normal age was getting points for building industrial era buildings... made getting the next golden age very easy...

Thormodr likes this.
  9. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Yes. Heartbeat of Steam is great for peacemongering. :)

10. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

I think the formula for threshold is flat formula. +12 points minimum for dark ages, +5 for each golden age you accumulated before, -5 for every dark age, and +1 for every city. So it is actually a non-issue if you have excess era points since the threshold in the next era is calculated based on the above fixed rules.

Thormodr likes this.
  11. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

I still didn't get a dark age =( though the game I'm playing now have all it need to go wrong, so I might get some.

12. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I think civ/leader combos with uu, ui, ub and/or ud set in different eas have gotten a slight advantage... for example, playing cree, the UI and UU are likely to be built in Ancient era... the English UB meseum comes in different era than Redcoat and their unique privateer (cannot recall if those units are in the same era), so they can get a boost in era points in 2 or 3? different eras.

Wonder if any civ/leader can get boosts in 3 eras.

Thormodr likes this.
  13. rattatatouille

rattatatouille Warlord

Norway gets their Longship in Ancient, the Stave Church in Classical, and the Berserk in Medieval.

14. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Wait until you come across the "swarmed with barbarians and getting declared a surprise war upon" ancient era. That's a guarenteed dark age.

Not always. I actually didn't choose it when I got into an Industrial Dark Era, as I simply didn't have the technologies yet to unlock those buildings. Traders also only gave me 5 era points, but eh, I doubt I had that many Industrial Eras down when the Modern Era started... I was probably in the process of building like 6 of them at that point though, but Heroic Age meant no Era Points.

15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

The "finishing trade routes" one is pretty good, esp if you're running internal ones that take only five or six turns.

Thormodr likes this.
  16. K4wa

K4wa Chieftain

As Georgia, having founded a religion which is majority in all of my cities and having converted a city-state to my religion, my envoys still count as one. Am i missing something here?

17. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

It's not retroactive, so the envoys already present wont be doubled. If you are talking specifically about new envoys since you converted it, then it sounds like a bug.

18. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

So, I finished the game and it was:

Ancient Normal -> Classical Golden -> Medieval Golden -> Renaissance Golden -> Industrial Golden -> Modern Golden (victory)

And I cannot even say how huge numbers of era points I wasted, for example going to modern was with 352 / 294 era points...

I won cultural victory at 1848. I had just 4 technologies left to research and already multiple future civic researched, the world era was far behind me. I had time to build districts I really didn't want and useless wonders, I won cultural unplanned, I just had so many great works and everything (but just one park and no seaside resorts, I wasn't focusing on culture) :)

Quite ironic that I hope I will get something else than golden ages in my second game :D

Thormodr likes this.
  19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The ease of gaining golden age after golden age makes both Georgia and the Taj Mahal seem pretty weak.

Thormodr likes this.
  20. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

It definitely is a bit easy, but my 2nd game I only had 2 of 4 eras golden (normal->golden->dark->heroic). Especially in a golden age, if you're not conquering other civs to get points, or building wonders, it can be a real challenge.

To me, I think they need to raise the "per-city" threshold a little more, since I think it's in the massive empires that you have the most chance to go way over the limits. My first game with the Cree, I went into the industrial era something like 100 points more than I needed. A lot of that was from conquering, and for some reason I kept getting the "city converted while at war" bonuses, even if it didn't quite feel right (like, I would conquer one of their cities, and then the bonus would pop up telling me a different city of theirs converted).