1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. TomeTraveler

TomeTraveler Chieftain

Even with uniques that are in different eras according to the tech/civic trees, it's easy to gain them "early" by building them before the game officially reaches their designated eras, and given that they are uniques you'll likely prefer to build them early rather than late.

2. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

I won't be surprised if the first patch ups the thresholds a little. Golden ages feel a little too easy to get and I have yet to actually fall into a dark age that I haven't actively tried to cause, just to try out the special policies :lol:

Weraptor and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  3. Becephalus

Becephalus King

I will try that as one last go for this game. And for the record, while I think 2 was the high point, 3 was playable, 4 was excellent, and I think 5 made a lot of needed changes even if it was in some ways a step backward.

But I kind of feel 6 is wandering off into the wilderness of "more for the sake of more" instead of more for better, and just feel it is now a flabby unbalanced game the AI sucks at and doesn't understand. Not that it ever really did, but it has gotten worse not better over time. The not switching to "armies" instead of units when they went to 1upt just kills me. It is such an obvious fix to the AI issues and more realistic at this level of abstraction.

4. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

I still don’t understand religious combat. I attack someone and it’s a minor defeat for me, he turns around and battle bolts me and it’s a major victory for me....wat

5. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

Also playing as Georgia and going religious. Just converted Norway’s capital and had an emergency declared on me. Only participant is....Norway...yea game I think if they could defend against that they would have by now but sure I’ll take the extra gold and religious pressure!

Thormodr likes this.
  6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Yeah. Religious emergencies need to be reworked, somehow.

7. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

I feel like emergencies in general were a mistake. Judging from the majority of people's comments on them, they don't seem to work anything like the way Firaxis intended for them to function based on how they were described prior to release. Its really easy to determine which ones can be manipulated to earn the player lump sums of gold, and which ones should just be outright rejected to save on hassle. It seems to be a roulette wheel as to whether the AI will actually bother to join in and help out, they cause all sorts of weird diplomatic consequences on top of the pre-existing tics the AI has from vanilla. They don't even appear to work very well as a way to unite the AI against a human player who's running away with the game if that was Firaxis's intent too.

On one hand I think I'd be totally ok with it if they just outright said "Sorry guys, this mechanic really didn't work out how we hoped it would" and removed them from the game, on the other they did advertise them as a feature of the expansion so we are kind of stuck with them now... :undecide:

8. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

I like them, they add a new wrinkle to the game and a late game challenge to a part of the game that really need a spice up. They could use work but I wouldn’t scrap them

9. Thormodr

Disagree. Emergencies, well at least the X City was conquered ones, are good. Other emergencies do need to be reworked and refined but I think they definitely on to something.

In Civilization 5 City States were introduced and for a long time they were just vending machines that bought you a diplomatic victory. They were terrible. I am glad they retained them, though, as they are useful and the potential for them is great.

ombak, sonicmyst and Katakanja like this.
  10. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

I mean, I hope they can find a way to improve on them if it's possible. They just stick out like a sore thumb as something extremely gamey in an expansion that is otherwise very roleplay focused as others have been noting. I just get this lingering feeling that there's something really... half-baked about them. Its like Anton wanted to introduce a more complex new diplo system as one of the R&F features but Ed overruled him since he's spoken about wanting to refine the world congress in the past and has his own ideas he wants to implement for the next expansion, so in the end Anton had to settle for a more stripped down mechanic.

Comparing them to vanilla Civ V CS's.... yeah I see what you mean. That's exactly it :goodjob: The only downside is that it took them more or less the full lifespan of Civ V to get them to an interesting place, so it might take as much iterating on the Emergencies to achieve the same results :sad:

Thormodr likes this.
  11. Thormodr

It may take a while, yes. However, the community here is great and I can definitely envision some mods that will use the mechanic. Not to mention some fun scenarios. :)

12. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

Inquisitors are much weaker out of your territory, so you could be standing inside your territory on the border tile and he outside. So your attack was to the outside and his to the inside.
    And I also think that inquisitors have bonus on defence, but I am not sure.

13. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

It was apostle vs apostle, haven't seen an inquisitor yet in this game now that you mention it

14. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Perhaps the civ that is focus of an emergency should not get a reward.

15. Thormodr

Yes. The city state they conquered, for example, is reward enough.

16. Klinn

Klinn Warlord

Good idea and it might be cool to expand that into an end-game screen.

A row for each civ with their successes spread along the horizontal time line. Maybe shrink the extra-big graphics so we wouldn't have to scroll vertically too much while checking out the other civs. Sort by how long a civ stayed in the game, i.e. the shorter-lived ones would be at the bottom and drop off the list sooner.

It would be kind of a summary of how the world as a whole progressed.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Anyone seeing Scotland be super powerful in their games? I'm playing as Korea and I'm still having trouble passing them in science. Their score is over 200 points above me and I don't see how. I haven't fully explored them yet, they are pretty far away. An attack may not be feasible. My last game they were in they were also quite advanced (though the Mapuche were more dominant). This is King difficulty, so they shouldn't be getting that much advantage over me, I think it's only 5% at King.

Not sure the best way to deal with them. I could attack, but I think I can out tech them and get space victory, assuming they can't get a cultural victory. I'll try to beat them peacefully and see how it turns out.

18. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Scotland is the most powerful civ in the game currently. If you let them grow, you'll struggle to keep up.

CivLuvah and Thormodr like this.
  19. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

You have to pay them a visit and stomp on their campuses.
    Of course, on very large maps that's easier said than done
    when they could be many dozens of turns away from you.

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm thinking Scotland is the new Kongo. Imagine playing them, Kongo and Korea.

In fact, I'll do that next game.