[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

And 30 turns later the Zulu retake Zimbabwe, this time no emergency. Good thing I was hesitant to invest envoys into Zimbabwe. :)

Was sad that with all these diplomacy changes diplomatic victories did not make a return. :(

@Eagle Pursuit, any more activity on SteamDB as of late?

Mac and Linux are humming along. I understand the due date for R&F for those systems has slid to late March/early April.

After a burst of 3 qa build updates early in the week, it was quiet until another one updated today. I don't see a patch dropping in the next week, maybe further out.

There's no new DLC apps or depots, so there's still no sign of DLCs in the early second quarter or expansions in the second or third quarter.

There's no new DLC apps or depots, so there's still no sign of DLCs in the early second quarter or expansions in the second or third quarter.
Is it possible they've come up with a way to hide such files given that they now know that fanatics such as you are paying close attention?

Is it possible they've come up with a way to hide such files given that they now know that fanatics such as you are paying close attention?

I suppose so. But I'm hardly the first person to use SteamDB to spy on Firaxis. BNW was discovered in this way. That didn't stop them from doing in in their accustomed way, it only caused them to use code names.

That sounds like effort for no apparent benefit to the company. If all we know is that they're working on "something", I'm not sure why that would concern them.

I don't know why people say Spain is bad. I don't know if they changed something with R&F since I've played little to none vanilla (got R&F almost one week after buying vanilla).

The only 'difficult' thing could be getting a religion. After that you have those Misiones wich generate +2 science if they are adyacent to a Campus and also +2 faith (+4 faith and +2 loyalty) if they are in other continent. Also the +gold for routes to other continents. This allows you to stay on top science at the same time you focus on other things.

And also their UU. They have already +4CS if they are facing a civ with different religion. +10CS if a religious unit is on top. +4 with oligarchy legacy card. Again +4 with Wars of Religion military policy. I don't really know if they are stacking all of that, but right now I'm destroying infantry corps like nothing. Plus they convert cities.

In fact, since I don't really need that many apostles Im investing that faith buying a ton of buildings for my Campus districts with Jesuit Education. This is by far one of the funniest and easiest games I've played.

I don't know why people say Spain is bad. ...

I don’t think they’re bad at all.

A few thoughts:

- Spain is a religious Civ which doesn’t get a bonus to getting a religion. I see that as a feature not a bug. Some ‘ religious’ civs do get bonuses for getting a great prophet - good for them. Some don’t, but who cares, because they generate good faith which they can use for other things (Indonesia). Some also don’t, but really need their own religion to get the most out of their perks, eg Spain, Sythia. For these Civs, the lack of a bonus to getting a religion is sort of the point: you need to hustle to get your religion, but when you do, your perks should make the effort have been worthwhile.

- (Religion doesn’t really interact with loyalty at the moment. I hope it will after some more patches or another expansion. If religion ever does effect loyalty, that’ll buff Spain.)

- Spain is also a Civ that’s incentivised to settle on foreign continents. The slight catch to that is (IMO) even with Spain’s bonuses for doing that, settling on foreign continents isn’t quite worth the effort involved.

- While I don’t think Spain is underpowered, I do think they lack a bit of ‘sexy’. I think it would be much more fun if Spain got +1 charge to Missionaries and Inquisitors, rather than just to Inquisitors.

I don't think that Spain is "bad;" it's more like other civs are insanely powerful. Compare what Spain has to the likes of Cyrus, Amanitore, Alexander, or Seondeok and it's just no contest.

Plenty of good civs (e.g. Brazil, China, Poland) suffer from this. They have strong bonuses, but they simply aren't that strong in a game that also has Gorgo, John Curtain, and Gilgamesh.

And I’m okay with that.

Having civs range from “weaker than others” to “OMG So OP!!!” provides another way to adjust difficulty.

It’s only where a Civ is so weak it feels unplayable or completely “blank”, or has bonuses that you just can’t use at all, that I have a problem. Spain is neither of those.

Oh I totally agree. I'm fine with civs having varying levels of power; I'm just saying the craziness of other civ's bonuses is why people claim Spain is bad.

I noticed in some of my games (both single player and multiplayer) that sometimes AI won't improve their copper resource. Even in later eras close to their Capitals.

Anyone else seen this?

I noticed in some of my games (both single player and multiplayer) that sometimes AI won't improve their copper resource. Even in later eras close to their Capitals.

Anyone else seen this?

They're waiting to do a Magnus-chop right before completing Big Ben. :)

The AI under-develops mines and pastures in general, and over develops farms. I haven't noticed an avoidance of copper in particular, but you may well be right, as I try to avoid analyzing in game what the AI "should" be doing as much as possible.

Top Bottom