Rise and Fall of House Julii

Another way to do it - on a custom map - would be to create a desert zone w/o access to fresh water (use unirrigatable landmark terrain as seperator) and give the ability to irrigate w/o fresh water to Egypt, using the "era none tech" trick.

Making Egypt the only agricultural civ would do something similar - +1 extra food from irrigated desert.

Another alternative would be to make desert terrain unable to be irrigated, then make desert landmark terrain that can be irrigated in the Egyptian region. This won't make irrigating deserts specific to the Egyptians per se, but will limit it for pratical purposes to either Egypt or whatever civ conquers the region.

Another way to do it - on a custom map - would be to create a desert zone w/o access to fresh water (use unirrigatable landmark terrain as separator) and give the ability to irrigate w/o fresh water to Egypt, using the "era none tech" trick.

What I would like to do, is use the free tech (Non Era ) and use a LM terrain, specifically your Sahara terrain in combination with regular desert terrain, making the desert terrain irrigatable for Egypt and the Sahara terrain as non irragatable to surround the desert terrain that borders the Nile region as in the pic below. But how do I make the Sahara terrain non irragatable and the regular desert terrain irrigatable?

In the editor (Rules/Terrain) you will find the Terraform bonus entry. Change it to zero to disable Irrigation.

Remember, though that if you want to pre-place irrigation in the editor, it only goes by what the base terrain would allow (so if the LM terrain did allow irrigation but the base did not, then you can't place but you can if the LM terrain does not allow it but the base terrain does)

Remember, though that if you want to pre-place irrigation in the editor, it only goes by what the base terrain would allow (so if the LM terrain did allow irrigation but the base did not, then you can't place but you can if the LM terrain does not allow it but the base terrain does)

Thx Virote. That is EXACTLY what I am doing here. The base terrain (Desert) does allow irrigation. And the LM terrain does not. I have also edited the worker jobs, changing airfield to desert irrigation, ( the scenario does not allow airfields ), and desert irrigation requires the no era tech Egyption Knowledge (Only available to Egypt ).

But wouldn't that essentially make it worthless irrigating? Airfields can't be made to give food, have no uses outside of air units (which I assume are not in this scenario in any major role) other that airlifts (which would only really need a couple of them spread about to be "covered" effectively) and they use up one worker when building them...

But wouldn't that essentially make it worthless irrigating? Airfields can't be made to give food, have no uses outside of air units (which I assume are not in this scenario in any major role) other that airlifts (which would only really need a couple of them spread about to be "covered" effectively) and they use up one worker when building them...
Under worker jobs
What I did was rename the worker job name from Build Airfield to Irrigate Desert
Next I changed the civilopedia entry to TFRM_Irrigation,
Then changed order to irrigate
and set prerequisite to Egyptian Knowledge, a non era egypt only tech

I tested this config in game and it seems to work fine. I haven't tested to see how the AI reacts to this config yet, but I will do that next.

Can terrain buildings be made civ specific? Example if I want this:
for a Roman Watch Tower and this for the Persian Watch Tower

Is this possible or does anyone have an Idea as how this can be accomplished?

I was thinking that if this can not be done as a terrain building, maybe there is a way of possibly making it some type of immobile unit that can be built and transported to a special unit ie: telepad.

Attachments

• tower_3m.jpg
    tower_3m.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 342
  • tower_3t.jpg
    tower_3t.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 340
I was thinking that if this can not be done as a terrain building, maybe there is a way of possibly making it some type of immobile unit that can be built and transported to a special unit ie: telepad.

I just realised, immobile units can not be teleported. Well that idea goes out the window. There must be a way this can be accomplished. Can anybody think of something?

Immobile land units may not be able to teleport or airdrop, but they can load on helicopters and be airdropped onto the map, where they will then be immobile. If you made an 'engineer' unit that had the capabilities of a helicopter but used a ground unit animation this would be possible. You might want to clear out the airdrop animation or the guy would be flying through the air to the drop site. :)

Immobile land units may not be able to teleport or airdrop, but they can load on helicopters and be airdropped onto the map, where they will then be immobile. If you made an 'engineer' unit that had the capabilities of a helicopter but used a ground unit animation this would be possible. You might want to clear out the airdrop animation or the guy would be flying through the air to the drop site. :)

Actually, immobile offensive land units will airdrop from cities with an airport. :p And AI airdrops them all over the place.

I was going to do this (tested it, because I wanted the firewall to be immobile and airdrop), but it brings up the problem of the immobile units loading into transports and crashing the game when they try to unload; so I scrapped it.

Units will only airdrop if they are set to offensive strategy, they will not airdrop when set to defensive or artillery.

This is perfectly feasible for a scenario, where you can preplace an improvement (away from the shoreline) that will auto-produce this type of unit for airdrop. :) But otherwise, in an epic game, there is no way to ensure that AI will not make a unit like this in a coastal city, and crash the game. :(

----

But for a helicopter to unload the immobile unit on the map, it still needs to be made sure that the immobile unit cannot be produced in coastal cities; or game crash may occur if they load/unload from a transport.

This is perfectly feasible for a scenario, where you can preplace an improvement (away from the shoreline) that will auto-produce this type of unit for airdrop. :) But otherwise, in an epic game, there is no way to ensure that AI will not make a unit like this in a coastal city, and crash the game. :(

Would it still crash the game if the unit was set to "Tactical Missile" but there were no transports which could carry tactical missiles?

The crash (or freeze up) comes when an immobile land unit tries to unload from a transport onto land. So I guess it shouldn't happen if it's a tac missile and no ships are available to load it to.

But then the question is will AI know to airdrop a tactical missile unit. I tried to make the AI airdrop a unit set to artillery strategy, because artillery strategy doesn't need the 'load' flag (so it can't load to a transport), but AI doesn't airdrop arty or defensive units.

The crash (or freeze up) comes when an immobile land unit tries to unload from a transport onto land. So I guess it shouldn't happen if it's a tac missile and no ships are available to load it to.

But then the question is will AI know to airdrop a tactical missile unit. I tried to make the AI airdrop a unit set to artillery strategy, because artillery strategy doesn't need the 'load' flag (so it can't load to a transport), but AI doesn't airdrop arty or defensive units.

This is one of the units I want to use.

This is a desert camp unit. What I want to do is use this as a base unit with a high defensive value. I was thinking of using a centurian or similar unit as a telepad. For now, I am using a wagon to transport the unit. I don't think this is a good option, because I doubt the AI will know what to do with the unit. It could also be used as an outpost or fortress.

I was also thinking of doing the same with these.

What I am really trying to do is create a temporary or buildable campaign camp and/or an outpost/watch tower for each civ.

They could just be worker actions, i.e., renamed fortresses and outposts. I don't know if that would work wih your strategy. They could give high defense bonuses, "radar", etc. Might be easier than having to airdrop units, especially if their autoproduced, as they'd eventually fill up all the squares within range.

The "Tactical Missile" flag is just a flag which affects what transports the unit can load into. It can still be given the "Offensive" AI strategy, and from what I've seen will be used as such.

Top Bottom