Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Hey, another lurker hoping to help out.

I think I have an idea for the tribute that will allow it to last for a long time. At least two techs before the first of the wonders related to Constantinople, add the tribute improvements; they should each cost no shields and need not require each other as prerequisites, but each one must be a prerequisite to a certain Constantinople wonder. On the very next tech, make these tribute buildings obsolete. This way, they must be built by the end of the tech in which they become available, yet they cannot be razed until the wonders they are needed for are built.

I have loved playing your mod; keep up the amazing work.

Fix the imperial legio showing up with a eques icon!

Maybe the free 4-5-1 archers should require support, or at least add maintinence to the catrum toxosis?

Germania attacked in 2BC with ~45 eques, 10 9-4-2 infantry, and some others. A net loss of 26 velites so far. 95% of the army is still in Aegyptus. Still 1 city left to take there, and most troops are recovering from battle.

The treasury is only at ~4500. Researching commerce was at about -100gpt for all 12 turns. 5 turns to Julius-Claudius. Syria just finished warring with Pontus.

Hey, newbie to posting in the forum, but love downloading mods n such. I love this scenario and have played nothing but this for 4-5 months now.

Anyways, I noticed a small discrepancy. Carthage went to war with me about 5 turns in, so I took Corsica and Sicily off them and was about to invade Sardinia when they asked for peace. So I managed to wangle 30 gold per turn and Alpes Cottiae off them. This would now mean that Hannibal's army isn't going to appear (a good thing for me since I hate losing in these games) but thought you might want to avoid Carthage giving it up somehow just to keep things a bit more realistic. Dunno how you would go about it though, perhaps make Alpes Cottiae a resource that Carthage needs to build one of its key units or something?

Ooft thatsa drawn out first post.

Keep up the great work!

hippyscum said:
Anyways, I noticed a small discrepancy. Carthage went to war with me about 5 turns in, so I took Corsica and Sicily off them and was about to invade Sardinia when they asked for peace. So I managed to wangle 30 gold per turn and Alpes Cottiae off them. This would now mean that Hannibal's army isn't going to appear (a good thing for me since I hate losing in these games) but thought you might want to avoid Carthage giving it up somehow just to keep things a bit more realistic. Dunno how you would go about it though, perhaps make Alpes Cottiae a resource that Carthage needs to build one of its key units or something?

I've noticed the same situation. I got Alpes Cottiae in a peace contract.

In my view Alpes Cottiae should have a Regius so that the computer won't give up Alpes Cottiae in peace contracts.

I've got some more comments and suggestions.
I'll write them later. Sorry.

@ Konig Marcus & Hippyscum - Welcome to the RFRE forum (although I'm a newb myself so maybe I shouldn't be the one to say that :mischief:).

The problem with the AI giving away the Alpes Cottiae has been discussed in the past, and the conclusion reached was that players should not ask for the city in peace negotiations. Easy to get around I know.

Putting a resource or a new building in Alpes Cottiae might help, but we'll have to see if Blitz wants to implement it or not when he gets back.

Well I suggested to Pink the Equites as it is now. Guilty as charged. Here it is. For some reason he favoured the lumberjack more.

Yes. I still love that easterling unit:) And yes, many art change in last patch are courtesy of the Monarch, as I think I mentioned when the uodate was released.

Or did you NOT mean to miss those cities [with foederati]

I did limit foederati on purpose, although I didn’t dig into history to identify main recruiting grounds for them (I choosed Gothia, Franks, some upper Danube)

@keroro

Always happy to hear from lurkers. Your idea about linking “research” building with greek goods makes sense! Maybe make schola obsolete by the early empire while a new schola become available but only near greek goods areas? Just an idea ;) [and reading the thread further, I see you are all coming to the same conclusion – good, we start to think as one, folks)

Also, the civilopedia text should be made clearer for the bellator galatium. The generator is made obsolete by Etruscan Heritage, so none of these guys will fight for Rome, but the text says they can be "bribed".

That text (mine I am afraid) was supposed to mean that you can bribe the nation (Galatia) to join your wars as you can ally them in a military alliance. The unit and their spawning improvements were created for the Seleukids and some other locals.

Welcome hippyscum & HairyPedro (you sure pick some names!)

@konig marcus – I always thought that Alpes Cottiae, having a small wonder there, would be precious for the AI- surely this must be fixed

EDIT: I might have some good news coming concerning RFRE but I'll wait a bit before rushing into an annoucement. Don't expect too much though :)

i hope this isn't a stupid question, but how do you install the patchs? i've downloaded both 1.2 and 1.24, but how do i get them to overwrite the old files and patch RFRE?

thanks, it works now. looking foward to playing this great mod. :)

The 2nd Germaic War (1st invasion of Germania) lasted from 211 - 233AD. Both Gunner and Blitz's oppidium proved too tough for all of the bombardment, so only Vindonossa and Augusta Vindelicorum were taken. Even the mighty Praetorian can't defeat a tribus germania magnus when sheltered by an oppidum. Losses were acceptable, but failing to take those 2 cities will only cause problems later.. Only "conventional" forces were encountered, no spawned units were.

Following the massive(!!!!) accumulation of wealth during the GA, the treasury is at 55k, but is running -575gpt @ 70% to Soldier-emprerors. Overused land has just taken effect, and corruption has crippled many cities. The decline is under way..

First, I’d like to say thank you to of you. You’ve done a great work so far!!!! Thank you!
Already the best Civ3 mod/scenario ever!!! :) :crazyeye: :thumbsup:

Well, now I have some comments and suggestions.

Keep these things:
- Velites
- Legio Marius, Legio Imperatoria
- Eques (finally a useful unit) :thumbsup:
- Eques Legionarius
- Comitatenses, Limitanei, Cataphractus, Stratiotus
- Legio Mercennaria - but isn’t there a better unit for that? :mischief:
- Pictii – but they shouldn’t be able to conquer Britain.
- Strength of Carthago
- Strength of Gaul Celts

Good ideas. I like those: :crazyeye:
- Thermae Caracallae
- Domus Aureus
- Overused land
- Consilium Nicaeae
- Fabrica Sassanida
- Improved icons in contrast to version 1.x
- Tributus

I would change these:

- Tributus Attilae should end with the tech Fall of Rome and not with Heraclius’ Reform, because Imperator Markian (450 – 457 AC) stopped paying money to the Huns. :lol:

- The sequence of these techs: Greek Fire, Justinian the Great, Armored Cavalry
I would change them to this sequence: Justinian the Great -> Armored Cavalry -> Greek Fire
Because of the innovation of Greek Fire was quite late. Actually it was invented after Heraclius.

- Latebrae Speculatorum should have a better icon, for example a church. The current one is too medieval. :mischief:

- Alpes Cottiae should have a Regius.

My suggestions:

- University of Constantinople (Small wonder)
Available with the tech of Roman Decadence (Theodosius II). For example it could improve the scientific research by 50 % and need the resource of Byzantium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Constantinople

- Add a new nation:
In the current version 275 BC Easy the Germanics are still much too strong in the early stages in the game. Furthermore the cities Vindonissa, Augusta Vindelicorum, Castra Regina, Vindobona shouldn’t be Germanic at the beginning. That’s not historical. :(

My suggestion is:
Create a new nation out of the cities Vindonissa, Augusta Vindelicorum, Castra Regina, Vindobona + Aventicum and Argentoratum. This nation should be quite similar to Gallia Cisalpina. The name could be Raetia et Noricum.
Aventicum, Argentoratum and Vindonissa should represent Helvetii.
Augusta Vindelicorum should represent Raetii. Castra Regina should represent Boii. Vindobona should be represent Norcii.
Capital could be Augusta Vindelicorum.
Vindobona should be easily buyable like Pergamum (representing the very good relationship between Rome and Noricum).

The creating of a new Celtic nation is more historical and would help the player could reach the historical borders on a more historical approach.

I know you’ll hate this suggestion. :mischief:

Missing pedia entries:

- in Imp. Extraord. Pompeianum for Quinqueremis Summa
- The pedia entry of Legio Traiani has to be corrected (7 or 10 turns?)
- The pedia entry of the resource Sinai needs a text.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinai_Peninsula
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Catherine's_Monastery,_Mount_Sinai

EDIT:
Missing pedia entry / wrong pedia text:
- In 325 AC scenario in the tech Moenia Theodosii for "tribute" (Tributus).

Keroro said:
@ Konig Marcus & Hippyscum - Welcome to the RFRE forum (although I'm a newb myself so maybe I shouldn't be the one to say that :mischief:).

Thank you, Keroro.
Actually I'm not new in this forum. You can find every post of me in this threat.
I have been abroad for six months and I haven't been able to play CIV and to help to improve RFRE. But now I'm back home.

@ Konig Markus - Sorry :blush:, you've been here much longer than me and now I feel stupid.

Anyway, one small observation, the University of Constantinople could raise research by 50% or 100%, but there's no option for 75%.

Also, I agree with you on the order of Justinian - Armoured Cav - Greek Fire techs. Then again, wasn't the empire using cataphracts before Justinian took power? So maybe Armoured Cav - Justinian - Greek Fire?

Keroro said:
Anyway, one small observation, the University of Constantinople could raise research by 50% or 100%, but there's no option for 75%.

Yes, that's right.
Then 50 % would be enough and a good solution.

Keroro said:
Also, I agree with you on the order of Justinian - Armoured Cav - Greek Fire techs. Then again, wasn't the empire using cataphracts before Justinian took power? So maybe Armoured Cav - Justinian - Greek Fire?

The Romans used cataphracts already in the 4th century.
But the height of the usage of cataphracts was in the 6th and 7th centuries.

Well, let's see what are the opinions of the others regarding that issue.

Personally, I prefer Markus idea on the tech order.
I also like your idea on a new nation on the Rhine. It would effectively weaken early Germanic barbs while making it still a huge threat near the end. However, they shouldn't be bought. The player should really make an effort in conquering those territories instead of just waiting for enough money. There was many revolts there and invasions so I don't think that buying those cities would reflect that.

KingMississippi said:
I really enjoy this mod, but finally went out and bought Civ 4. Is there an adaptation of this mod for that program?
Well, we're still trying to find a way to blackmail Pink in order to force the creation of RFRE for Civ4, but so far his family has always escaped our agents. ;) Otherwise, no.

Waaaaa my Castor. You are getting scary now :scared:

@Konig Marcus

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate. And welcome back. I thought your name sounded familiar :) Blitz seems to be away for some time but I am sure I will be back soon and glad to have your comments. Anything weakening the German is bad thing, AFAIC ;), but this has become a very democratic mod, so let see what will the crowd decides. Tech can be changed; as I am alas not very knowledgeable in early Byzantine history...

Ok, and the good news I was speaking about :

Take-Two is working on a new release and wanted to know if we would like to contribute RFRE for Civ 3 to it. I of course said yes :cool: . They can't elaborate a whole lot on what the new release is going to be unfortunately, but they are thinking to link the mod in a "Feature Fans Mod" list to be included in the release or maybe even to distribute the mod with the release, (if its free from copyrighted materials, which it is not completely currently). Considering the size of RFRE, I guess they will decide for a link anyway. They say they will mail me soon to discuss how this can be done.

It is really great to see our arduous efforts are recognized and the mod appreciated :) All these years of work :old:

Top Bottom