1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Rule for Civ3:Conquests

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Isak, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

I've played my first few test games - not all the way through just to get a feel for the different Civs and I love it!
    The expansion phase is much harder (and thus more interesting) than normal:
    not having Irrigation and Mining, plus the 3 food use by citizens, plus the high pop costs of the Settlers - man, it's a real pain getting beyond your first city! Makes Expansionist really useful for it's chance of popping cities and settlers..

I thought I could get around the problem by choosing an agricultural civ - but you scotched that by making their settlers cost one more pop! :mad:

I'm trying it on DemiGod as the Zulus (because of the Expansionist and Militaristic traits) on a Pangaea map and it feels more like Deity+, almost Sid.. God, it's hard!

All in all, very enjoyable! This will give me many, many enjoyable hours, I'm sure! :goodjob: :goodjob:

2. kokoras

kokoras Bizarre

Great,just great.Downloading right now!
    A question:Must i download anything else in order to play this scenario.1.22 Patch is already installed.

3. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

@ move quietly

1) The is an option in the game, "always renegotiate deals" - if bring up the diplomatic screen if a ressource/diplomatic deal expires

2) Yes would be nice, but it is behind of modding.And personally I try to keep my citizien a bit more happy than necessary, so I don't have to check carefully every city evryturn.

3) "cannot end the turn safely" means there is chance the vessel sinks, but it can enter such a tile.
    "cannot even enter" means it is impossible to move on such a tile.

Longboats, curraghs and IIRC outriggers are the only ancient ships which can travel regardless of ocean depth, but of course they are in danger of sinking (which is modified by the seafaring trait and partly removed by the Great Lighthouse)

4) A nice idea, but of course behind modding, too.

@ kokoras

No, Conquests 1.22 should be all.

4. kokoras

kokoras Bizarre

ok thanks Pfeffersack.

5. Osner

Osner Chieftain

I am redirected to another site called 3ddownloads (and put in a queue with an estimated waiting time of 8 minutes) when downloading. Downloaded in 25 minutes. Looks great. I will try thise evening until way into the morning :) .

Thanks.

6. Sneakthief

Sneakthief Chieftain

noooooooooo just as i'm about to start my final year at Uni u have to release this mod...... oh well bye-bye degree :D

7. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

Downloaded it and played as the Egyptians until the second age before saving, and it is excellent! This mod is, in my opinion, a huge improvement over DyP. I will definently be trying this one over and over again!

A few civilopedia entries I noticed:
    *When talking about the camel rider, it says they have improved defense over a horseman, but they're both 2/1/2.
    *When talking about the slave markets, it says they aren't built, only put into cities with the slave trade wonder, but I can build individual slave markets.

Once again, thank you for spending the time on making a brand new, better mod instead of just adding to DyP!

8. move_quietly

move_quietly Chieftain

hi pfeffersack, thanks for the response. :)

i understand what you are saying. maybe it's just the way the wording is in the pedia entries that didn't make sense to me. here are three of the entries.

so to me that says long ships can traverse coast or sea and have to end in coast or sea to avoid sinking. and the next line to me says they can safely traverse ocean tiles once they get magnetism. but then the third line is a little ambiguous to me ... they can't enter ocean tiles at all, maybe it refers to magnetism, meaning they can't enter at all until they get magnetism ? the way it reads it seems to contradict the line right before it.

same here, must end in coast or sea or risk sinking, assume they can cross coast or sea. they can't end their turn in ocean tile without magnetism, fine. and in r&r they can't enter ocean tiles at all ... until they get magnetism ? if that's the case then maybe the pedia entry would be better if it just merged the two last lines and simply said ... hey, you can't traverse ocean squares until you get magnetism, that would be more clear.

and for curragh it doesn't say anything about magnetism at all. since it's the most ancient ship i would not assume it could travel ocean squares since more advanced ships can't. but maybe longboats can, that's what i understand you said, and it sounds like you're saying Curragh's can too. i think this illustrates how someone who didn't know anything about DyP or R&R might get confused, i know i did. :)

9. Jaybe

Jaybe Chieftain Supporter

move_quietly, if all else fails, double-click the scenario file from Windows. Ocean is impassable to wheeled units. Many of the early ships are wheeled.

10. alsakari

alsakari Chieftain

yeah!I' ll try it!

11. kulade

kulade Chieftain

All the sudden the game is feeling really easier. I am playing the celts and I own a huge porsion of land on regent, I conquer whoever makes me mad (or I feel like) it feels like chiefian. But on the other hand, sometimes it feels nearlt immposible and the AI expands too fast, I guess the starting position makes all the difference.

12. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

@ move quietly

I had a close look on the entries you list and also on the unit stats in the editor.I agree, there are some strange/unclear things.

Longships: You are right here, the entry is somewhat misleading (why it says they cannot end the turn safely in ocean, while it states in the next sentence you cannot even enter ocean?).Compared with the editor, the error is the last sentence...they can enter ocean tiles (before Magnetism), but are in danger of sinking - until you research magnetism, which ends this danger.

Cogs: The entry would make sense (DyP: can enter all water tiles, but in danger to sink in ocean; RaR: cannot enter ocean tiles) - but it is simply wrong.You can enter all tiles in RaR and there is no danger of sinking in ocean tiles, even before Magnetism! [in RaR - haven't the real stats for DyP at the moment]

Curraghs: The Magnetism-rule applies automatically to all ships, but I agree a note would be correct and helpful.But here is again an error, looking at the stats in the editor, I notice the curragh may sink in sea, but not in ocean tiles.

Thank you for bringing up those wrong descriptions!

13. rhialto

rhialto Chieftain

Downloaded this game yesterday moning. I've been playing Romans for 2 hours now. Nice job!

14. zeph2k

zeph2k demigodly bunny

@ kulade: what level are you on and if you control alot of land and they control little the game will be easy

15. juballs2001

juballs2001 The Sultan of Sweat

where do i put it to work or use it?

-Juballs

16. Owain

Owain G Flashing Inaccessable

What I noticeplaying RaR is that the AI seems less agressive, I assume because it never runs out of things to build... Likewise, I tend to be pretty content with not expanding rapidly because there's always another city improvement I could build instead of another unit. ;)

Perhaps it was just the game I played. I started on a continent with the mongols and iroquois. The iroquis expanded fairly well from the far north while I was near the mongols in the south right by a choke point to a good quarter of the continent. I controlled the choke point early on and the Mongols constantly wared me. I dont know whether to atribute that to the nature of mongol agressiveness, the restricted access from a large portion of the unsettled continent, or what, but they were sending champions over as soon as they built them before they even had their second city up. It was just a constant stream that I could barely handle... I can't remember whether I was playing on Emp or Demi.... but it was very close to being more than i could handle... Luckily they just came in streams and not a stack and the city they were set on was built ona hill or I probably would have been wiped out.

However, once the intial land-grab phase was over and I managed to punish the mongols into submission and a single city after getting iron working and my gaelic warriors, the game was completely war-free until the industrial era. This just seemed strange to me given my previous civ experience and I wonder if others have similar experiences with this mod... I'm thinking of upping the agression level for my next game in RaR.

17. Oddible

Oddible signal / noise > 1

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon The True Face of Equality

Owain, you aren't supposed to build all the city improvements..... :lol:

19. Owain

Owain G Flashing Inaccessable

Try and stop me! :)

I realize that, but does the AI? That's my point.

20. Dease

Dease Be Original

eh?:confused:
    I think the whole point of this mod is to present the player with the most options possible, so why not try and build all improvements? There's no rule against it, it's just another strategy you could use among all the others ;)