Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

It may be appropriate to switch Naval Aviation and Radar. Radar is first in the tech tree, however, historically, naval aviation preceded radar by about 20 years.
At present I don´t think, that this is a good idea for gameplay.

1. The position for the tech Naval Aviation in the RAR techtree was always the same as it is in RARR.

2. As early as 1886, German physicist Heinrich Hertz showed that radio waves could be reflected from solid objects. The German inventor Christian Hülsmeyer was the first to use radio waves to detect "the presence of distant metallic objects". In 1904, he demonstrated the feasibility of detecting a ship in dense fog, but not its distance from the transmitter. He also obtained a British patent on 23 September 1904 for a full radar system, that he called a telemobiloscope. It operated on a 50 cm wavelength and the pulsed radar signal was created via a spark-gap. His system already used the classic antenna setup of horn antenna with parabolic reflector and was presented to German military officials in practical tests in Cologne and Rotterdam harbour but was rejected. You can read this in the wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar

As the first flight of a plane from a ship, if remembering well, was in 1910, the argument that naval aviation should precede radar by about 20 years is wrong.

3 (and this for me is the most important reason): The AI civs have no clue how to handle carriers at least somewhat well.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...rd-and-much-more.666881/page-90#post-16559674
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...rd-and-much-more.666881/page-90#post-16561720

Therefore for reasons of game play (at least as long as Flintlock hasn´t found a way to solve the AI carrier problems) in my eyes it is much better if the aircraft carriers are not arriving so early in the game. May be the name of the tech Naval Aviation could be changed to Fleet Carriers (or something like that). :think:

Don't know if I am having a black out, but I can't find a way to upgrade the Curragh (as Siam), although the Civilopedia says it upgrades to Longboats. I checked the Biq and it says the same.
What am I missing ??? The city has harbor, port, major port, and the governor has received firm orders !
Thanks !

Don't know if I am having a black out, but I can't find a way to upgrade the Curragh (as Siam), although the Civilopedia says it upgrades to Longboats. I checked the Biq and it says the same.
What am I missing ??? The city has harbor, port, major port, and the governor has received firm orders !
Thanks !
PhilB, thank you very much for your continuing interest in RARR. :)

The curragh in RARR has the old traditional settings of the RAR mod. PhilB, it seems, you are the first in more than a decade of game play, who noticed, that there is something wrong with that unit. When having a look in the editor in the RARR biq (and the old RAR 1.02 extended biq, too), I noticed the following:

Curragh.jpg

This unit is missing an AI strategy! I don´t know, if this is causing the upgrade problem, but it is sure, that this problem must be fixed. Thank you very much for reporting that error! :) I tend to give that unit the naval power strategy (1A, 1D). If anybody has an additional idea about the upgrading problem of that unit, please post it.

Glad I could help ! This Curragh has been waiting for almost a thousand years in a port to upgrade, it deserves a place in the Naval History Museum of the city.

:coffee:
99_23t.gif

look like a land unit!?? :groucho::blush:
:lmao:on April 1st I would have guessed it was an April Fool's joke
Best regards

Wotan49:old:

Wotan49, I hope you are very well. :) That is a nice old steam locomotive, but unfortunately there is no such Civ 3 unit and I wouldn´t know how to do the settings for such a unit. The Civ 3 unit that comes closest to this is the great steam roller unit (Dampfwalze, Dampf-Traktor) in CCM, created by Vuldacon. The steam roller is my personal all-time favourite unit for Civ 3. :)

Civinator it's good again, thank you

Fregatte.jpg

In my opinion, the Curragh is missing A and D and transportation, not the All Terrain As Road
I didn't pursue the Convoy unit any further because the run movement is incorrect!

Wotan49 :old:

Top Bottom