1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Civinator, Jun 21, 2015.

1. XTC

XTC Chieftain

Hi Civinator, the RARR problem is solved. The Atomic Bomb folder was in a subfolder with the same name. Putting the content of that folder "a step" higher was THE solution.

I will continue in the other thread ;-)

2. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Great that now RARR is working for you again. :)

I will answer your question about CCM2 later.

3. BlueChrome

BlueChrome Chieftain

Hello there all

So I recently got back into Civ 3, been enjoying it so much I figured I would give some mods a go, and started with this one

Unfortunately I am at a complete loss as to how to actually install the darn thing, so I figured it was worth having a go asking here for some help.

I have the base RARR file downloaded, yet getting no luck extracting into the civ conquests file on steam. Would be grateful for any assistance on this as I really want to try the mod out.

Thanks in advance!

4. Civinator

BlueChrome, welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

I don´t have the Steam version of Civ 3. In general it can be said to extract the RARR folder in the C3C scenarios folder and to place the RARR biq inside the scenarios folder outside the RARR folder.

5. BlueChrome

BlueChrome Chieftain

Thank you! Managed to get the mod working, although I'm running into this particular issue and I'm not sure what is causing it. I screened it to explain it better, but it seems to be the text is out of alignment.

Attached Files:

6. the_owl

the_owl Chieftain

You forgot the last steps for the Steam version:
    Steam Civ Complete-Patch:

The last update of the Steam version of Civ Complete by Steam/Firaxis added a new line between "PING" and "Host" (line 86) to the labels text that just says "Unknown". Of course this messed up the labeling of buttons for C3C mods/scenarios with own labels texts (as it is the case with RARR). If you have problems with messed up labeling of buttons at the start of RARR and use the Steam version of Civ Complete you can try the following patch:

1. Go to the text folder inside the RARR mod.
    2. Rename the textfile labels to labels1 (or something like that).
    3. Rename the textfile labels-Steam CivComplete Patch to labels.

7. BlueChrome

BlueChrome Chieftain

Ahh, I had done that but with the wrong RARR file from a previous installation attempt, fixed now!

Once again thanks guys, was a little rusty with all this modding stuff.

8. BlueChrome

BlueChrome Chieftain

Figured I would update, been playing and so far love the flavour and changes the mod makes, loving it so far!

The only odd thing I noted was that at the start of the game the music is not from the ancient file, but rather the tracks that comes up in the mid-game, I was curious why that was, but aside from that it all plays fine!

9. Civinator

BlueChrome, thank you very much for your kind words about RARR. :)

The music is triggered by the search path of the RARR biq. Here you can read more about it:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-32#post-15318368
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-33#post-15320418

I posted such a changed RARR biq here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-33#post-15320418 - but additionally the pediaIcons file in the text folder must be changed, too. You can find the new pediaIcons file here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-34#post-15345686

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  10. Mr Constantin

Mr Constantin Chieftain

Civinator, are you going to continue developing this great Mod? ;-)

11. Civinator

Hi Mr Constantin,

as you can see in this post, the development of RARR is continuing. The combination of the CCM and RARR files in a compact C3C mainfile allows to add much more CCM 2 units to RARR and gives access to many improved unit animations done by Takeo. It will also allow to play RARR as the C3C epic game by doing some changes with a text editor to switch those files from CCM2 to RARR (text folder, city screen folder and techtrees in the Advisors folder plus renaming the RARR conquests biq to conquests biq). Of course RARR still can be played as a scenario in the scenario folder, too.

The primary focus for the next version of RARR is to fix all those reported errors of the current version of RARR. The bonus resource Exotic Woods was changed to the strategic resource Hardwood to make the difference between two kinds of the same sailing unit type as it occurs in era 1 with tech Latin Sail for the two types of galleasses and in era 2 with the techs Naval Cannon/Shipbuilding, that now will all be in the tech Naval Cannon (and the tech Grand War will be transfered to era 2, replacing the tech Ship Building as it was in DYP).

I´m reflecting about transfering the battleships in the era 3 tech Machine Tools to an early era 4 tech and give a new line of autoproduced CCM2 armored cruisers to the tech Mass Production and the dreadnoughts and battlecruiser updates of the armored cruisers to the tech Machine Tools. I´m also reflecting about adding the beautiful CCM2 horse artillery units to a new RARR tech in late era 2. A long time project in RARR will be to improve the stats of late infantry compared to the stats of tanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  12. Civinator

Here is a photomontage about a possible techtree of era 2 in RARR. About doing techtrees: I´m not interested in filling every empty place in the screen of a techtree of an era with new techs (in fact I have still some problems with the transparency of the current techtrees) but I`am more interested in giving existing and sometimes new units the place to play a better role in the game, despite of making them obsolete when they arrive in the game (as the construction of these units mostly needs some additional turns).

For era 2 of RARR in my eyes this means, that (sailing) ships of the line deserve a better place in the game, as they have it now, when they are only needed if your civ doesn´t have access to coal to build monitors with tech Industrialization in era 3 (what is the next error, as monitors had a screw propeller propulsion, but this tech can only be researched later in the game). Ships of the line were the first choice to rule the seas since the 1650s and therefore in my eyes belong to era 2 (as it was in DYP).

A new tech in that speculative techtree of RARR in era 2 is the tech Horse Artillery in the late era 2. It is needed to introduce a new line of really beautiful units done by imperator1961. These units have enough place to play an effective role in the game, as their next upgrades arrive only many techs later in era 3.

You can see some new tech-icons in that techtree that mostly are part of the next version of RARR. The icon for tech Physics is replaced by the icon of Galileo and the icon for the GW Circumnavigation is also replaced by a CCM 2 icon. The tech Matchlock now holds its own individual tech-icon and the tech Naval Cannons now holds a new SW autoproducing Privateers in the game.

The replacement of the tech Leadership by the tech Fortifications at present is speculative, but I really like that tech-icon used in CCM 2. The building garrison will be replaced by the building city fortifications that shows the image of a starfortress in era 2.

To do a speculative techtree of era 3 for RARR in my eyes will be much more complicated, as some of the naval units need much more place in the game (p.e. Iron Frigates). Some things are sure: I will replace those early monitors by paddle wheel ships (with tech Steam Engine ?) and battleships will be removed to early era 4 to give predreadnoughts and dreadnoughts a better role in the game. I will also find a place for the tech 'Railroads' in the game.

I´m really interested about your opinions in improving the gameplay in RARR.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2019