1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 2.9 feedback and bug reports

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Okay, are you using RoM 2.92? I'm going to assume you are. (If not, there is your problem...)

Open your Rise of Mankind folder, then navigate to Rise of Mankind/Assets/Modules. Open the file called "MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml" in notepad. Does it have this entry in it?

Code:
    				<Module>
    					<Directory>Custom Leaderheads</Directory>
    					<bLoad>1</bLoad>
    				</Module>

If not, add it. If so... Post again, and I'll go to the next step.

2. Malchar

Malchar Prince

Thanks for creating this mod, it's great. It has to be my favorite civ4 mod, but it helps that it includes so many other mods as well.

First off, I have had the endless turn problem happen. Also, I found it impossible to load more than one game without restarting the program. However, both of these have been fixed by doing the /3gb thing, so thanks for that suggestion.

I've also been having the same problem with choose religions. I have choose religions and limited religions enabled in the custom game screen, and I have limited religions enabled in the RevDCM options menu. I don't have choose religions enabled there since I don't like it. I haven't tried it with rise of mankind, but with just the rev mod, it wasn't telling me which civilization founded the religion, so I would get something like "An unknown civilization has founded a religion, please pick which one it is." which isn't useful at all.

Anyway, it seems like no religions get founded anywhere for a long time. Then, when I research a tech that would give me a religion, suddenly, all the religions show up in different cities. Guessing, it seems like they appear in the civs that researched the corresponding tech, and it looks like the civ got to pick which one they wanted. The only real problem is that they aren't showing up right away. I also get the "Error in RevDCM Religion Control callback handler DoHolyCity" on the turn when they all appear.

This is probably related to the above. In one game, only two religions were ever founded. It was a huge/giant terra game on prince. I had one of the two religions, and it spread so well that I won a religious victory (not apostolic palace) shortly after leapfrogging to papacy relatively early (although it was marathon). Is it possible that a civ becomes unable to found a religion once all their cities have a religion?

On a different note, I find the warlords to be a little overpowered. I think I read something else about the strength of the warlords being increased recently. It just seems like they're too powerful. This might have been a bug, but in once instance, an enemy warlord was able to hang out on the same tile as one of my cities, which meant that I couldn't attack him. All he did was pop out, pillage my improvements, and then go back to my own city for safety.

In general, I really like the idea of the warlord unit, but perhaps it would be better served by having a weaker unit that you could make more of. Having such a strong unit quickly becomes ridiculous with the berserker promotion. Perhaps getting multiple levels of berserker shouldn't happen until certain technologies are researched. It's just so easy to get 3 berserker and heroic right away, which basically doubles the unit's strength. Once one player gets a warlord built up, it quickly snowballs and can continually pick off the opponent's weaker warlords.

My other suggestion would be to remove the warlords but replace them with "pirate" type units but have them be of comparable strength to normal units. You could almost get away with having them be the same stats as normal units of that era, the disadvantage being that all your opponents would try to attack them (stupid AI). This kind of makes more sense to me. I think of the warlords as being like state sponsored terrorists. If anything, they should be a little weaker than other units of the same era, but the advantage is that you can attack without declaring war. The unit doesn't really need to be super strong in order to be effective. If you were allowed to make multiples of these normal strength units, it would have a similar effect as a single super unit, but it might be more balanced. Perhaps another solution would be to make them not be lead by a great general by default. Perhaps you could also make great generals buildable or just give a single great general when the warlord tech is researched in addition to the ability to make pirate units.

In one game, after stabilizing with a fair amount of medieval tech, I prioritized gunpowder only to find that there was no sulfur in my large empire. In fact, the only reasonable source was deep in my neighbor's empire. That game was probably just bad luck, but is there any reasonable way to fight without sulfur? I'm not sure about the historical accuracy, but perhaps you could make sulfur revealed a little sooner, like at invention or education. It just seems like by the time you've revealed sulfur, there's only 10 or 15 turns before arquebuisers start showing up, at which point everyone who has sulfur is able to defend it.

Also, it would be nice if you could build a normal mine over a shaft mine. In one game I wanted to revert the mine because of the unhappiness, but the only recourse is to build a cottage over the shaft mine and then rebuild a normal mine, which seems kind of unrealistic. Then again, maybe you shouldn't be able to build over a shaft mine at all.

3. Bluboy

Bluboy Chieftain

i dont know that my problem is a bug,but every time when i try to load the mod the game crashes,is there anything i can do?
    thanks in advance

4. Afforess

Is BTS patched to 3.19? Are you using a mac, RoM only works for PC's. We need more information to help you.

5. Bluboy

Bluboy Chieftain

bts has the latest patch i think,and if i click on the load mod button,it crashes to desktop and wont load up,and i use a windows 7

6. Supernaturalist

Supernaturalist Chieftain

Yes, the file does have that entry in it. :) And yeah, I'm running RoM 9.2.

7. Afforess

Look in the civilopedia. Is there a jungle camp improvement listed in the improvments?

If yes, then I'm at a loss...

If no, your computer isn't loading files correctly, and I can help.

8. Supernaturalist

Nope, there's no jungle camp. Looks like I can keep obstructing this thread for a little while longer :p

9. Afforess

Ready?

Long Story Short, there is a bug in the way RoM loads XML files, and it only shows up when you use a non-standard install location, like yours. I've fixed it, but the fix requires my RoM Expansion. Now, you will need to use a beta (they are stable, no worries there. I'll have an official release for RoM 2.92 out next week though.) from my sig . If you don't want any of the features in my mod, but just my turn time improvements, AI fixes, and the XML loading fix, you can install the "Lite" version, an option when you install it.

If any of that is unclear, just tell what you need explained better.

10. Kamilian

Kamilian Deity

i'm still using v2.91, and it plays fine, but then if i Save my game, and then later reopen the mod and load the game, the game loads until 100% on the screen, then suddenly crashes. any reason why this is happening?

11. Supernaturalist

S'cool, I was going to start using AND anyway. Just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Thanks a bunch Afforess, I'll let you know how it goes.

12. Afforess

I'm glad I could help. ;)

13. Supernaturalist

Afforess, you're a god among men. It all works fine now. And I get to play AND. :)

14. Mark064

Mark064 Chieftain

My friends and I were playing a game of RoM 2.91 last night from a previous night which includes the Leader Head Pack and Vincentz'. Eventually my other friend got disconnected and we returned to the lobby to load up the game. But the result was that my friend that didn't crash that was hosting now found that his civilization would now crash the game every time. We loaded up previous autosaves on all our computers to find the exact same results. He is the Aztecs and I have uploaded the save file.

Attached Files:

15. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I found a problem with Vincentz VIP, that caused a python exception and also made cityscreen and revolution screen broke. It's in the text file of the Guilds, and it contain the symbol " several places.
    I'll upload a patch ASAP.

16. code32

code32 Chieftain

In version 2.92 has increased the number of desync with the multiplayer. Decreased number of falls network game. Some settings RevDCM guaranteed lead to desync a network game. Removal of the city leads to desync. Most of the errors in the multiplayer desync happens in the fighting. Version 2.91 was a great fall games, but less desync.

17. ichbinsehselber

ichbinsehselber Prince

Version 2.92: Iroquois Longbowmen (UU) start with Woodsman 2. But they do not have Woodsman 1. I assume this is not intentional.

18. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Civ6 addict

I just made the same experiences. The "endless turn bug" occurs more often than in previous RoM versions. This "saving as a scenario" trick did not work on my computer either.

19. kevdawg21

kevdawg21 Chieftain

Is there a solution to the ranged bombardment problem? Although siege units can still reduce the defensive strength of cities, they aren't being permitted to damage enemy stacks through the use of ranged bombard. The button is still there, and when you press it the green target box still comes up, but it never actually lets you go through with it; when you try to press the button, nothing happens.

I've noticed that others have reported this issue, but I don't recall seeing any remedy. Is there anything that can be done?

20. Afforess

the ranged bombard has been fixed in AND.