'Rising Tide' expansion announced!

My feelings are much the same. If diplomacy is made relevant, and factions distinct, it will be a boost, and while I didn't like aquatic city spawn in Alpha Centauri that was because those cities were just terrestrial cities transposed onto the sea (and made city spam worse than ever when all of the map could be colonised). If aquatic settlement is genuinely handled differently this time around it could be worth investigating.

Agree with all that. I'd add that I hope it makes the techs distinct as well. As it is it feels like I'm ticking a list (ok, web) of meaningless words, so some flavor here I think would go a long way. I do agree that the quotes about diplomacy makes it sound like they "get it."

I hope the AI gains a better memory for diplomacy in the game with the Fear and Respect and takes interactions with other nations into account for trustworthiness.

I am glad they are doing something, anything actually. I am also curious about Civ:BE 2.0, but I know that I will not be paying $30 for this one.

I am glad they are doing something, anything actually. I am also curious about Civ:BE 2.0, but I know that I will not be paying $30 for this one.

Does it not make sense that Rising Tide is 2.0 considering that 2.0 is supposed to take a bold approach and make BE what the devs intended it to be and Rising Tide seems to be an attempt to do just that?

Considering the bad reaction BE has got, I'm surprised they're making an expansion. Was half expecting to see content like this (or a little less, eg: no new sponsors) in a patch.

Civ5 on release was poor, but patches made it very enjoyable within a few months of release. It was a good game before G&K came out. With many people finding BE simply boring, its ambitious to hope people will buy an expansion pack.

looks good but $30 looks a bit expensive for anexpansion

also i wonder how this fits in the CivBE 2.0?

An expansion pack takes a lot of effort so it's hard to say at this moment if 2.0 ended up becoming an expansion pack or if Rising Tide was already planned and 2.0 will come before/after this expansion.

Like many others I am excited but it is a mild excitement. I hope it will be the G&K to this game but the proof will be in the pudding and this time around we have to wait for the release hype to die down to get an honest look at this game.

Multiplayer is still broken as well and 0 mention of that being looked at and while that is understandable it is the wall of silence from the dev-team about the things we feel is wrong with the game that makes me personally look forward to the 2nd expansion and/or the complete edition. BNW was a really good expansion.

Civ5 on release was poor, but patches made it very enjoyable within a few months of release. It was a good game before G&K came out. With many people finding BE simply boring, its ambitious to hope people will buy an expansion pack.

Well, if Rising Tide makes BE not boring anymore, why shouldn't they release it and expect people to buy it?

30$ seriously? I know mods that change more then that to CIV 5 for free. It better be 10-15$ expansion after what they did with BE.
Instead of patching the so called '2.0' they ship it under a price, thanks a lot but after doing the mistake of purchasing BE I dont trust the developers.
And for all of you saying - "Civ 5 vanilla was lacking in content too and felt weak, but they fixed it with expansions", the Developers have the EXPERIENCE of both Civ5 and all its expansions, so either their memories and experiences were removed or these developers ought not to be trusted.

Good thing I held off purchasing Beyond Earth. Now I know to wait for that juicy gold edition.

And for all of you saying - "Civ 5 vanilla was lacking in content too and felt weak, but they fixed it with expansions", the Developers have the EXPERIENCE of both Civ5 and all its expansions, so either their memories and experiences were removed or these developers ought not to be trusted.

I hope you're not trying to justify CivV with this argument, given the developers had the experience of Civilization IV.

The lead designers of BE never worked on a Civ game before.

Maybe in this diplomatic rewrite they'll un-lobotomise the diplomatic AI in multiplayer games.

Colonize the Ocean: Build floating settlements and access natural resources hidden beneath the seas of the alien planet. Alien beasts with unique abilities inhabit the water and challenge the player in new ways. The ocean provides a fully replayable map, new gameplay mechanics and strategic possibilities for players to reign supreme on their new world.
Ugh. Aquatic cities were the worst feature of Alien Crossfire.

And the Arabic leader is a woman? Good joke.

With the heavy emphasis on water in the expansion, and two new factions having advantages in it, I'd say it's quite likely that Japan will be revealed as one of them given their culture.

My first thought was Polynesia, but that's already taken in 'Polystralia'. Indonesia fits as well. Civ games have also generally given England bonuses at sea, so a UK faction might be possible; Japan's a definite contender though.

The lead designers of BE never worked on a Civ game before.

I do wonder nonetheless what effect this is likely to have on the release schedule for Civ VI; while the development teams are likely to be separate, they're not likely to release a major title like Civ VI in the 'shadow' of a BE expansion, so we may be looking at late 2016 rather than the typical April-May release for a Civ series main game.

Ugh. Aquatic cities were the worst feature of Alien Crossfire.

My initial reaction when I first read the news too, haha.

Opening up the water for settlements makes the maps HUGE now, among other complications. But I'm sure Firaxis is aware of all this, and after reading the articles I'm hopeful that they've designed it well. I'm very excited to learn more about it.

And the Arabic leader is a woman? Good joke.

I actually love that!

GameSpot actually has an interesting article with some new pieces of information. One thing is that the arabic faction, Al Falah, come from a generation ship, not a cryogenic ship. So, the colonists that land on the planet where all born within the ship and probably developed new cultures, instead of "falling asleep" near Earth and then waking up near the new planet.

(Haha, they're actually talking about it right now on the live broadcast.)

So for I'm only seeing announcements in the form of "For PC." Will the Mac version of the expansion be released at the same time?

Top Bottom