Roman Army vs. Medieval Army

Not exactly an europena state, but... how would the late republic/early empire armies fare against the turks? I guess that if the byzantines didn't stop them the early roman empire had much less of a chance, but it might be an interesting comparison because they had a somewhat similar opponent at the time (the parthians).
The nice thing about the early Empire was that it was surprisingly innovative. During this time you have the introduction of new armor, for example, in the (oft-spammed about) lorica segmentata; too, the Romans in this time developed a revolutionary commissary system on the Eastern front that dealt with the threat of the Parthians very well. Considering the Roman performance against the Parthians following the (very tense and near-run) battles of Pacorus and Labienus against Publius Ventidius Bassus, I think that, on balance, the early Romans would have (technological differences aside) have performed very well.

Hell, the Byzantines usually performed very well against the Turks in OTL; Romanus IV Diogenes, the man who lost at Manzikert, actually had campaigned against the Seljuqs repeatedly during the early period of his reign and won significant victories. It was due primarily to treachery that Manzikert was lost, and the engagement itself wasn't even that militarily significant...it was internal political struggling that prevented effective opposition to the Seljuqs...

Heh. Many, many ages ago, when I was still a young pup in University, I did a dissertation on the strategy and tactics of the Roman army, from its earliest pre-"Legion" days, up through the time of Belesarius.

One thing I did was compare and contrast the different "versions" with each other, and I used a wargaming system to pit them against each other as well. The stereotypical Legion (6000 highly trained men armed with short swords) was formidable. But when Belesarius put them on horseback, and gave them bows.... Let's just say that mobility on the battlefield can be a decisive factor. ;)

A lot of you under estimate the Stirrup way to much.
:confused: The Roman cavalry was never going to beat the medieval cavalry, but it's a truism of military history that formed infantry can beat cavalry every time, and the Romans themselves were superb at it. Even in the age of the stirrup, for example at the Battle of Legnano, a cavalry force could not defeat a trained unit of heavy infantry that remained together. (The defeat at Adrianople was neither due to the stirrup - the Tervingi and Greuthungi didn't have it - nor to an exception to this rule...the Romans were outnumbered, and the Gothic army was clearly not all horsemen.)

The Romans would slaughter a medieval army.

1.) Engineering. Medieval armies had nothing even approaching the battlefield engineering capabilities of a Roman army. Sure the Medieval guys had a few token prepackaged Trebuchets lugged around with them, but an army such as Ceasar's could build a dozen miles of earthen/wooded fortifications several meters high in a few days time

2.) Logisitcs. The Medeval armies didn't have any. Seriously, Roman armies several times the size of your average medeval army would march half way across the known world in a single campaign season and defeat enemies decisively.

3.) The Roman's can stop cavalry, as they have proven many times. Actually, it wasn't until the Byzantines addoped Medieval style warfare that they had their most humiliating loses to Germanic cavalry.

4.) Professionalism. As has been said several times the Medieval armies didn't have any. The VAST bulk of their forces were impressed commoners with zero training. There were no unit formation manuevers, there wasn't any uniform regimental system, it literally was just a rabble coraled by some knights at sword point told to face a certain direction.

5.) While was in theory better quality weapons and armor in the Medieval period, unfortunetly for Medieval armies the bulk of their armies didn't have them. Most Medieval infantry was COMPLETELY unarmored, and for the most part wielded wooden pikes.

I'd say if we look at whether the steel was properly quenched and hardened (you'd get this around the tenth century and later), a Medieval army could win hand to hand, no contest. Though you would have to make up various compositions and location of the armies facing each other, and you could make a case for either side.

If in doubt, I'll go for the side with better training and equipment. A competent general should know when to adjust tactics to the "reality on the ground" (as we say nowadays).

3.) The Roman's can stop cavalry, as they have proven many times. Actually, it wasn't until the Byzantines addoped Medieval style warfare that they had their most humiliating loses to Germanic cavalry.

Parthians managed to win well over 50% of their battles with the romans and were never conquered by the romans. At best the romans managed to get a regime change in Parthia that was caused by internal conflict which lead to peace. The only reason the romans were even able to stand up against them for as long as they did was because their population was so much higher.

The Huns were able to conquer or penetrate well into roman land. In as deep as France in fact.

They both fought the same way the Mongols did, Horse archers and Demi lancers.

The Mongols would simply run over the Roman armies. And they were no more technologically well of than the romans save for the fact that they had the stirrup.

The vast over glorification of the Romans and dumbing down of everything Medieval is a series of lies purported during the Renaissance.

Furthermore comprised of a bunch of guys holding pikes? The only time you would get a pike is if you are vastly out numbered and only looking to defend your self against enemy horsemen. Pikes only came into use in an offensive capacity with the invention of the Tercio. Which is generally viewed as the beginning of the Renaissance and the end of the medieval ages.

Parthians managed to win well over 50% of their battles with the romans and were never conquered by the romans. At best the romans managed to get a regime change in Parthia that was caused by internal conflict which lead to peace. The only reason the romans were even able to stand up against them for as long as they did was because their population was so much higher.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. (Sorry.)

The Parthians clearly were on the backfoot during the overall campaigns against the Romans starting after the defeat of Mark Antony (hell you could place it earlier, with Ventidius Bassus' victory). While what you say is correct, and Trajan, for example, took advantage of Parthian internal conflict to gain victory (Caracalla attempted the same thing with less success), that doesn't detract from the fact that Parthia was never strong enough to mount a serious challenge to Roman armies after the establishment of the Principate. Population was certainly a factor, but it's silly to claim that it was decisive...the Romans weren't able to draw on anything close to the entirety of their resident population for revenue, much less manpower, during the time of conflict with the Parthians.

Roman innovations largely fueled these victories. When Corbulo and Trajan and Septimius Severus made their victorious descents into Parthia, they did so with a logistical system at their back that was more of a war winner than any tactical solution the Parthians could develop. And it showed: Ctesiphon was repeatedly sacked. Roman Syria by comparison suffered virtually nothing from the depredations of the Parthians. Taking advantage of succession crises and civil wars within Parthia is all well and good, but you kind of have to get there first, after all. By the time of Septimius Severus, the Romans were barely contested by the Parthian Empire.

I'm extremely interested in where you get that 50% number, too.
Elta said:
The Huns were able to conquer or penetrate well into roman land. In as deep as France in fact.

They both fought the same way the Mongols did, Horse archers and Demi lancers.
That's kind of a one-sided way to look at things...infantry made up a significant portion of both armies...Also note the fact that the Hunnic advance had little enough to do with their style of warfare in the tactical sense. The set-piece battle of the Gallic campaign, that of the Catalaunian Fields, in which Hunnic cavalry would theoretically have ridden roughshod all over their Roman opponents, instead ended in a Roman victory...:mischief: The Huns made it as far as they did because of several reasons, one being their sheer numbers, another being the supreme distraction of the Vandals (who, as I never tire in saying, were the real killers of the Roman Empire of the West).
Elta said:
The Mongols would simply run over the Roman armies. And they were no more technologically well of than the romans save for the fact that they had the stirrup.
The Mongols ran over the medieval armies too...what's your point? (Besides my inherent opposition to comparing these two totally dissimilar things.)
Elta said:
The vast over glorification of the Romans and dumbing down of everything Medieval is a series of lies purported during the Renaissance.
In part, not in whole.
Elta said:
Furthermore comprised of a bunch of guys holding pikes? The only time you would get a pike is if you are vastly out numbered and only looking to defend your self against enemy horsemen. Pikes only came into use in an offensive capacity with the invention of the Tercio. Which is generally viewed as the beginning of the Renaissance and the end of the medieval ages.
That's not entirely correct. The Byzantines, for example, made good use of pikemen (the kontaratoi and menavletoi) in many scenarios. Pikes were good at holding a center line, too, and could be used in a somewhat similar fashion to the Macedonian syntagma. (But by and large you're right.)

Depend on which Rome, if you are talking about Rome in his best then Rome would win, first Rome had best soldiers, better tacticians (yes because many of the medieval guys seems to lack something in their heads thanks to their fanaticism) second roman have more efficient equipment, not Heavier but more efficient, roman soldier can act as one unit, and that is what most of medieval guys lack: discipline.
And at last Rome have much more soldiers than medieval guys, so the only way to medieval guys to summon such huge army is to make a crusade, but that means a problem: crusade= many different people/faction = even more difficult to organize .
And so Rome for win.

*I'm extremely interested in where you get that 50% number, too.

That's kind of a one-sided way to look at things...infantry made up a significant portion of both armies...Also note the fact that the Hunnic advance had little enough to do with their style of warfare in the tactical sense. The set-piece battle of the Gallic campaign, that of the Catalaunian Fields, in which Hunnic cavalry would theoretically have ridden roughshod all over their Roman opponents, instead ended in a Roman victory...:mischief: The Huns made it as far as they did because of several reasons, one being their sheer numbers, another being the supreme distraction of the Vandals (**who, as I never tire in saying, were the real killers of the Roman Empire of the West).

***The Mongols ran over the medieval armies too...what's your point? (Besides my inherent opposition to comparing these two totally dissimilar things.)

In part, not in whole.

That's not entirely correct. The Byzantines, for example, made good use of pikemen (the kontaratoi and menavletoi) in many scenarios. Pikes were good at holding a center line, too, and could be used in a somewhat similar fashion to the Macedonian syntagma. (But by and large you're right.)

* 11th grade where I get all my facts from :p

** This is accepted as fact by everyone really isn't it?

*** The mongols were a medieval army. Besides if we are talking Europe only The English armies during the thick of the 100 years war which were mostly professional soldiers would have been a very effective challengers.

I think of it like this the Roman Empire was a big Empire able to support a large amount of me logistically. Europe in lets say the High Medieval ages was no different. Sure it was extremely decentralized, but make no mistake about it, The Pope was the emperor. The crusades are not a good example of what would happen if all of Christan Europe was actually invaded in say 1350. The Crusades were merely something on the side that could be done for glory.

Lets pretend the Romans are a technologically less advanced culture (lets say year 476 roman technology - with boats being the exception like say the São Gabriel without the cannons.) From New England in 1350. (and there are horses in the americas)

In 1345 some Roman traders came and visited The southern tip of Iberia and landed in Al Andalus -Berber controlled Gibraltar. They trade a few crops and precious things then returned home.

They mount an attack with 60,000 men. 10 legions! (in what ever time period you deem to consider them at their best.)

They quickly conquer Southern Spain and Portugal.

So the pope deems it necessary to protect the empire from these pagans. The army they form is not a rag tag group of who ever a a Lord in a fiefdom could manage to gather, but everyone. The entirety of the Pope's empires resources. Lets say that the army is simple as well. Maybe 5-10% of the guys on Siege weapons, 30% with crossbows,bow and arrows, and javelins with no armor of any kind. Another 15% With no armor and pikes to protect all of the units I just listed from horsemen. Then we get lets say 40% dismounted knights and 10% actual full blown knights.

There is no way a Equites are going to dare mess with a knight head on, they will be able get blown away, their armor isn't as good as plate, thier weapons are not of the same quality. They are not using lances (long spears yes, lances no) And their horses are not as big. It is hopeless. Not even a kontus unit would be a challenge.

As for infantry VS infantry sword and sheildsman yes plate is a lot better, but for the sake of argument most of them were in chainmail (which would be more accurate) and a few commanders in Plate or Lorica Segmentata.

So what happens when these two types of heavy infantry clash? Basically the same gear and all of them have been training for their whole lives. And don't give me any of that bologna about being more "professional" If you do something your whole life which involves killing people you are going to be pretty damn pro at it no matter what. In a one on one situation they are pretty much even.

So lets look at the other factors. the Europeans knights are not going to be slowed down much by Roman horsemen because they will be protected by their own knights. Nor will javelins or arrow fire slow them down much. Onagers and the like perhaps. It's nothing compared to what the Romans will be dealing with. Testudo is fine for protecting you from crossbow fire, but you are defenseless when you are reforming after being shelled with mortar fire or a trebuche shot. The crossbows are going to cause immense damage. And the will certainly make short work of Roman javelin throwers. So when they engage not only will they have taken much more casualties already. They will be facing the same type of unit with same amount of training and not only that they will get flank raped by the Knights.

To make it short. Knight were just as well trained on foot and on horseback as the romans, Roman armies were larger because Europe was centralized at the time. If the goal for Europe was to produce as many well trained men as the Roman army they could do it easy. The reasons battles were not as large was because Europe was decentralized and full of infighting.

Superior distance auxiliarys.

Superior horse mounted units.

Superior Siege/ distance bombardment field units.

And overall better technology.

The Romans couldn't win in an open field, and they would get crushed invading a citadel. While a Roman town would pose no more danger than a medieval one with walls.

The point is Roman armies were not so bad ass and the world did not go back in it's warfare abilities that no army of equal size could mess with the Romans until the 16th century. That is well over 1,000 years. It's non sense.

hum if you put that time... Because i was just counting in medieval Europe: at the dark ages, not the late medieval gun powder it's not fair :p... and when Portugal and Spain started to do their voyages where almost 1500 this means : almost renascences, but yes the medieval guys got crossbow, and yes it would still be a crusade because when mongols invaded Europe they defended it with a crusade:
Battle of Legnica, and about heavy cavalry the Romans are already master in fighting against them : Ger mania, although yes heavy cavalary was their weakness too but nothing much more.
oh and almost forgot effective soldier in Europe at medieval where few, it's almost always conscript/ peasants that build their numbers

* 11th grade where I get all my facts from :p
Well, I'm definitely going to disagree. :)
Elta said:
** This is accepted as fact by everyone really isn't it?
Nah, loads of people underrate the import of North Africa to the imperial revenues and/or overrate the import of the brief and limited Hunnic incursions. Or they're just "LAWLS ADRIANOPLE PLS". It's accepted by any serious modern scholar.
Elta said:
*** The mongols were a medieval army.
Read the OP:
AceChilla said:
A roman army after the Marius reforms like Julius's army conquering Gaul against a European medieval army like the crusaders for instance. Who would win?
:p
Elta said:
Besides if we are talking Europe only The English armies during the thick of the 100 years war which were mostly professional soldiers would have been a very effective challengers.
Yeah, if they were bigger.
Elta said:
I think of it like this the Roman Empire was a big Empire able to support a large amount of me logistically. Europe in lets say the High Medieval ages was no different.
Yeah, those Europeans, raising 50,000 man armies left and right with their highly advanced and centralized commissary and recruitment systems. :rolleyes:
Elta said:
Sure it was extremely decentralized, but make no mistake about it, The Pope was the emperor.
Nah, the Emperor was the emperor.

As to your scenario: yeah, overall I think the technological superiority the medieval army would have would be decisive. Which is why I've been saying for at least a page now that the entire argument is bollocks. I take issue with your claim that knights would attempt to outflank anybody - as if the Europeans could keep control over their heavy cavalry :rolleyes: even the professional cavalry of the Carthaginians, Hellenistic states, and Romans had problems with that, as did the cavalry of the Napoleonic age - and that after winning the cavalry battle they'd probably end up chasing the enemy horse off the field.

roman's don't use cavalry vs cavalry fights the equities regular function is just support the infantry normally after the legionary stooped the charge of the enemies army such as cavalry and surrounded it , then the equities would close to end it...
but yes roman wouldn't stand a chance against Europe at late medieval (gunpowder it's unfair ).

roman's don't use cavalry vs cavalry fights the equities regular function is just support the infantry normally after the legionary stooped the charge of the enemies army such as cavalry and surrounded it , then the equities would close to end it...
Depends. Roman cavalry before the imperial era was crappy - though its job was definitely to fight cavalry, that's what supporting infantry means for horsemen :p - but during that time and later there's no real indication that it was subpar.

hum if you put that time... Because i was just counting in medieval Europe: at the dark ages, not the late medieval gun powder it's not fair :p... and when Portugal and Spain started to do their voyages where almost 1500 this means : almost renascences, but yes the medieval guys got crossbow, and yes it would still be a crusade because when mongols invaded Europe they defended it with a crusade:
Battle of Legnica, and about heavy cavalry the Romans are already master in fighting against them : Ger mania, although yes heavy cavalary was their weakness too but nothing much more.
oh and almost forgot effective soldier in Europe at medieval where few, it's almost always conscript/ peasants that build their numbers

Nothing to disagree with there, In the dark ages they probably would not do very well. But when I hear crusades I think 1100 - 1400ish. The only reason I picked 1350 was because I thought it was the most interesting time for warfare in history. With cannons being used along side the simple crossbow etc.

*Read the OP:

:p

**Yeah, if they were bigger.

Yeah, those Europeans, raising 50,000 man armies left and right with their highly advanced and centralized commissary and recruitment systems. :rolleyes:

***Nah, the Emperor was the emperor.

****As to your scenario: yeah, overall I think the technological superiority the medieval army would have would be decisive.

* he said like, not such as :p

** I disagree

*** Nah the Pope was pretty much in charge when push comes to shove.

**** I agree

but yes roman wouldn't stand a chance against Europe at late medieval (gunpowder it's unfair ).

That was the idea with heavy Calvary in medieval Europe as well. The difference being if it is not a pike or spear unit you may be able to charge them and ride though them. Though it is risky. It's better to attack when they are all ready engaged.

well that may be truth but in medieval still they tend many times to send the they cavalry to trample the enemies before the infantry

** I disagree
Why?
Elta said:
*** Nah the Pope was pretty much in charge when push comes to shove.
The Pope couldn't even win the power struggle in Italy, much less the rest of Europe. :p

You mean the game? medieval total war 1 or 2?

Yeah, but even in those attacking a pike is a no go, like wise spears are not a good option. If it is a high attack low defense unit like an a bunch of Axemen with no armor then it's a good idea. Even in real life. But if it is a densely packed heavily armored dismounted knights unit it is not such a good idea. In the game I think it may be more effective than it would have been.

The goal is always to ride though the enemy. Not to charge and then sword fight them on horse back. The swords are a last resort/ as well as being good for chasing down a fleeing enemy. Then again they don't really handle horse mounted units well in that game. Or any really :\

I love the game anyway :lol

*Why?

**The Pope couldn't even win the power struggle in Italy, much less the rest of Europe. :p

* The technology thing again.

** True, but I think if they were getting attacked by some skilled pagans everyone would try to repel them in the name of the pope/jesus etc.

Top Bottom