Romanian elections get dirty

Alright...

It's good news because the monopoly of the PSD on political life has been broken. Almost over night the media changed from an agressive pro-power stance to a more moderate position. There will be a greater degree of control and if political forces act rationally it should be good for Romania.

It's bad news as the Alliance has no majority in parliament. It can try to reel in the Humanists (3%), the ethnic Hungarians (5-6%) and other minorities (2%) to crop up a slim 51% advantage. It will be enough to pass simple laws but not fit to pass organic laws*. Still, on the eve of EU acession Romania needs a strong government. So far the Alliance has rejected proposals to join the PSD in a large coalition in government.

The president proposes the prime minister, who makes up his cabinet. The cabinet is then passed through parliament. If a cabinet is not passed through parliament for three successive tries we will have early elections in Spring. It's still arguable if the PSD and it's smaller ally, the Humanist Party will want early elections as the current trend is against them; the Humanists alone will not enter parliament at all.

*Organic laws are important laws that are passed and rejected with a 66% margin.

Interesting aspects of the voting process.

Traian Basescu was voted generally by the educated, more informed, higher-income electorate. The large and middle urban centers chose him over his candidate by a staggering 60-70%.

Adrian Nastase was voted by the elder, less educated, more dependent on state aid. Theese people live mainly in the rural areas, where the only sources of information are the national TV and national radio (since recently very pro-government). In rural and small urban areas Adrian Nastase got more than 60%.

Thanks for the explanation.
I understand that the current political situation is complicated.

I have one (technical) question.
In case it's impossible to create a cabinet which gets the support of the parliament there will be new elections in the Spring.

In that case will there be only elections for a new parliament or will there be new elections for the presidency too ?

I guess it's the first, but can you confirm that.

Top Bottom