Rome First Look (Trajan) Video

A rule of thumb with agendas seems to be not to dislike a potentially strong leader unless the their own agenda provides military bonuses.

(Harald could end up disliking a strong land power but hopefully they're disconnected by sea in that case)

So if Trajan does not have military bonuses on his own, he might dislike those with more cities/population but low military. Disliking high pop and city count without taking into military strength could be dangerous.

That really depends. The AI should be multifaceted in that it needs a reason to declare war other than "I don't like you". It's fine if the AI hates you because of their agenda, but does not declare war on you (alone, maybe they'll dogpile on you with someone else) because you are far stronger than them militarily.

That really depends. The AI should be multifaceted in that it needs a reason to declare war other than "I don't like you". It's fine if the AI hates you because of their agenda, but does not declare war on you (alone, maybe they'll dogpile on you with someone else) because you are far stronger than them militarily.

That's true but if basic leader AI and role-playing are going to coexist they have to not go looking for trouble in their agendas. Shi Huang for example can't dislike large land powers without having a means to repel them in his leader ability.

I'm just speaking from a role-playing perspective and don't know much about AI.

I think he will like civs with lots of cities and dislikes civs with few cities.

A rule of thumb with agendas seems to be not to dislike a potentially strong leader unless the their own agenda provides military bonuses.

(Harald could end up disliking a strong land power but hopefully they're disconnected by sea in that case)

So if Trajan does not have military bonuses on his own, he might dislike those with more cities/population but low military. Disliking high pop and city count without taking into military strength could be dangerous.
Well, I'm not sure what you mean there about their own agendas providing military bonuses. Building wide is what gives you a proper engine for pumping out a steady stream of units. Of course, Rome can still dislike a civ without pursuing war.

On a related note, do we have any idea how long a given unit remains relevant? Is it longer than in Civ V? If we don't have tech-based upgrades to crossbowmen or longswordsmen, are they to be effected through civics? In Civ V, I always disliked UU's that get a combat strength boost, because it doesn't promote upwards. If Rome makes it into the renaissance, it would be cool to see the empire's legions offer some legacy benefit.

That's true but if basic leader AI and role-playing are going to coexist they have to not go looking for trouble in their agendas. Shi Huang for example can't dislike large land powers without having a means to repel them in his leader ability.

I'm just speaking from a role-playing perspective and don't know much about AI.
A war-centric unique ability isn't (and shouldn't be) the end-all-be-all of whether or not a civ should be considered to have military prowess.

Shi Huang's means to deal with a large land power are the same as anyone has, both militarily and through other means. We don't need an AI that is guided by the notion that is should like any civ that exceeds its military-strength metric. That defeats much of the purpose of having agendas.

Ed answered my question in the stream - Legions do not require iron.

Going into trade mechanics now - base range is 15 tiles, trading posts reup the TR and add another 15 tiles. Roman Trading Posts give them gold in their own cities, while other civs only get the extra gold in foreign cities.

Yeah, except if V is any indication, AI who dislikes a player with more cities/population/production/money etc any of those, but low military... is seriously screwed. Because the player will get that military up and running in no time, should he need it. I think it's important to teach the AI to take the income and to some extend production into account when evaluating "military strength" of another nation.

Baths give 1 amenity and +2 housing over normal Aqueducts, and they still have the same terrain requirements.

Yeah, except if V is any indication, AI who dislikes a player with more cities/population/production/money etc any of those, but low military... is seriously screwed. Because the player will get that military up and running in no time, should he need it. I think it's important to teach the AI to take the income and to some extend production into account when evaluating "military strength" of another nation.
An inferior civ is in an inferior position. Allowing a snowballing civ to continue snowballing--and even helping it snowball even faster through friendly transactions--isn't likely to improve its situation, or the balance of the game as a whole.

Having said that, it would help if a civ considered wherewithal factors like those you mention, so at least coalitions could be formed against the superpower.

Baths give 1 amenity and +2 housing over normal Aqueducts, and they still have the same terrain requirements.

Man look at those +2 punks living in baths.

So, can Legions build roads with their charge? And, if so, how exactly do they determine where they start and end?

So, can Legions build roads with their charge? And, if so, how exactly do they determine where they start and end?

It wasn't discussed, but I saw an icon that looked like it could be a "route to" (gear with an arrow inside it) like civ5 workers had. It was greyed-out though, so perhaps you have to start in a city and select another city to build a road? Edit2: Nevermind, seems every unit has that icon, so I don't know..

Edit: also, Legions can apparently harvest resources/chop with their charge as well.

It wasn't discussed, but I saw an icon that looked like it could be a "route to" (gear with an arrow inside it) like civ5 workers had. It was greyed-out though, so perhaps you have to start in a city and select another city to build a road? Edit2: Nevermind, seems every unit has that icon, so I don't know..

Edit: also, Legions can apparently harvest resources/chop with their charge as well.

I wonder why how roads are built seem to remain a mystery with less than a month to go until release. They can't STILL be working it out. They should be getting close to going gold now.

haha I've been nagging about getting Rome for weeks, and they announce it when I dont have internet, oh well.

I'm loving every part of Rome in civ6, specially it being geared to very wide expansion and getting very good infraestructure fast. The bonuses to new cities is massive.

I imagined the bath would keep the aqueduct graphic despite being a unique district, and it's actually better that way.

Must be built adjacent to the City Center. Must be built adjacent to the City Center.

I think maybe they want to make sure you know you can only build it adjacent to a city center.:crazyeye:

In all seriousness, I certainly hope they will do a pass on all the tooltips, civilopedia, etc. before release to check for spelling and other errors. Civ 5 still has tooltips that are completely unclear and not consistent (eg, "growth" vs "excess food" vs "food").

I wonder why how roads are built seem to remain a mystery with less than a month to go until release. They can't STILL be working it out. They should be getting close to going gold now.

I know this is just an assumption but given that the Legion only gets one charge, I have to believe that chopping and building roads does not use charges and is unlimited just as it was in Civ5. The one charge is only used to build one fort. That's just my theory but I think it makes the most sense.

I noticed a few Roman delegate names in the video today. Lucrezia and Adolfo don't seem like ancient Roman names....Lucrezia is supposed to be spelled Lucretia. They both sound like later Italian names...maybe no Italian civ is planned? :confused:

I wonder if you can plop down a fort within an enemy city's radius?

Confirmed in the livestream today, you can not build a fort in another civ's territory. Ed says he wants to put a fort in a tile near a greek city but by the time the legion gets there, the city's territory has expanded and he says he cant build the fort where he was planning because of the greek city border having grown to that tile.

I doubt the Legion doesn't need iron. I'm sure it does which also means Rome will want to build lots of encampments to have enough iron resources for a large army. They said it for most of the UUs if they don't need resources.
If China's Great Wall has the same stats as the fort (presumably it does since it was said to work as a fort), the GW seems to be the best thing in the game.

It was confirmed in the livestream today, Legion does NOT need iron. They went on to say most UU, especially the early ones, will not need resources but they also specifically said Legion does not need iron.

Top Bottom