Rome First Look (Trajan) Video

Also... you may be able to build forts to Take Territory. (if they can be placed in enemy Territory then come up with your legions plop down some forts, and put your catapults in them.)

I don't see why not. But it is a risky strategy because if you are forced to retreat, you've just given the enemy a free fort to use.

Unless a fort is "your" fort regardless of where it is built, and the enemy has to pillage and repair it.

I don't see why not. But it is a risky strategy because if you are forced to retreat, you've just given the enemy a free fort to use.

Pillage it before you leave? As you still heal from pillaging this could be a cheeky way to heal your units

True, definitely could be risky - but as an alternative strategy it could pay dividends in terms of harassment and disruption if you have even just a couple of entrenched troops. It might be take a fairly substantial effort on their part to push you out.

EDIT:
Pillage it before you leave? As you still heal from pillaging this could be a cheeky way to heal your units

I like the way you think.

The real problem I'd see with placing a fort in enemy territory is the possibility of overwriting improvements, which could be annoying. Especially with builders increasing in cost with every one built. It'd mess with the balance of "repairing a pillaged tile doesn't use a charge" because replacing improvements would use a charge, so it'd effectively be a stronger pillage action.

Doesn't mean it isn't possible, of course, but that'd be a concern they'd need to keep in mind when deciding whether or not to allow it.

Actually, I think you only get health from pillaging farms and fishing boats. The pillage yield is now based on the output of the tile itself - campus districts can be looted for science, plantations and holy sites for faith, etc. It's possible that forts heal your unit when pillaged, but I think that remains to be seen.

Actually, I think you only get health from pillaging farms and fishing boats. The pillage yield is now based on the output of the tile itself - campus districts can be looted for science, plantations and holy sites for faith, etc. It's possible that forts heal your unit when pillaged, but I think that remains to be seen.

Nope. It has been shown and said that units still heal from pillaging. It is not restricted to any particular improvement or district.

I think he will like civs with lots of cities and dislikes civs with few cities.

Or perhaps the reverse, so they're actually inclined to pick fights with other expansionists. I'd be fine with Rome being really a-holes. I mean, they did regard everyone else as barbarians.

Anyone here ever play the board game Trajan? One of the touches I love about it is that it reflects the Roman perception of the world.

Roughly the bottom three-quarters of the board represents Rome, and that small area up at the top is Europe.

You only heal from pillaging farms. (and possibly fishing boats) but not Districts or plantations.

(and that has been seen...because of the yields you get from pillaging other tiles)

Well thanks for that insightful correction.

Anton said it in the Norway Live Stream iirc, in case you want to check back. It's easy to miss when he says it.

I doubt the Legion doesn't need iron. I'm sure it does which also means Rome will want to build lots of encampments to have enough iron resources for a large army. They said it for most of the UUs if they don't need resources.
If China's Great Wall has the same stats as the fort (presumably it does since it was said to work as a fort), the GW seems to be the best thing in the game.

Anton said it in the Norway Live Stream iirc, in case you want to check back. It's easy to miss when he says it.

I doubt the Legion doesn't need iron. I'm sure it does which also means Rome will want to build lots of encampments to have enough iron resources for a large army. They said it for most of the UUs if they don't need resources.
If China's Great Wall has the same stats as the fort (presumably it does since it was said to work as a fort), the GW seems to be the best thing in the game.

Thank you.

Here: https://youtu.be/GjHZYnpCMx0?t=19m3s Longboat pillages Mine without healing.

Was just about to post that! Also in the Norway First Look at 1:12, you can see that pillaging Fishing Boats heals. You can tell its pillaging the fishing boat and not the nearby lumber mill because a) the lumber mill is already pillaged and b) they click the 'pillage' button rather than the 'coastal raid' button; you can see them side by side.

Possibly. Although you'd need lots of builders to actually have it encircling your borders, but maybe you dont need to. Just have a couple of builders handy and have them plonk down the GW as and where you need it. With 3 forts per builder, you could shore up the defences of a city in no time at all.

Possibly. Although you'd need lots of builders to actually have it encircling your borders, but maybe you dont need to. Just have a couple of builders handy and have them plonk down the GW as and where you need it. With 3 forts per builder, you could shore up the defences of a city in no time at all.

4 since it's China. I think you might be able to just plant small almost useless cities at your borders to have free tiles to place the GW on to turtle in. Later you'll receive very large amounts of tourism.
Compared to that the 1 fort/legion seems weak. But you can instant build it when you really need it. That's probably worth something.

A rule of thumb with agendas seems to be not to dislike a potentially strong leader unless the their own agenda provides military bonuses.

(Harald could end up disliking a strong land power but hopefully they're disconnected by sea in that case)

So if Trajan does not have military bonuses on his own, he might dislike those with more cities/population but low military. Disliking high pop and city count without taking into military strength could be dangerous.

Top Bottom