ROTQM13: Rolling Over The Quintet's Magic

Looking at the image you posted it seems to me that the two tiles at the bottom of your BFC might be peaks. Like I obviously can't be sure but I am 90% on that. So you might want to move a tile up to where the scout is to avoid having those in your BFC.

i was thinking 1N as well. perhaps that hill 1E of the peak in the center may reveal our north a bit more. (edit: though it looks like its more woods)

"HOLY WAR" spoke the angel Sabathiel as he drifted back into stasis, towering over the leaders of the Bannor tribe.

The leaders nervously glanced among themselves muttering, wondering who would lead the charge to rid the world of magic.

Sighing, Capria spoke up. "Just as I led you wimps out of hell, I'll lead you again in this Crusade. Although I was hoping to become a farmer."

"Where shall we start my lady?"

"Well the land looks inviting north of here, that is where we shall start."

"We can even learn about farming."

The years following were peaceful as the world warmed. The other tribes of Erebus appeared to be far away.

In the frozen wastes, explorers have reported seeing a beautiful glow in the night sky

There have been many stories about the source of this glow, the passing of spirits from this world to the next, the shimmering of the sleeping sun, the remains of Mulcarn himself. But the truth is that far into the wastes there exists a ring of starlight, the Ring of Carcer. And trapped within is Brigit, the archangel of Bhall whom Bhall was unwilling to kill in her fall. Those seeking evidence that the Queen of Fire is not completely lost to the whispers of Agares cite her preservation of Brigit as their evidence. Others say that if Brigit can be freed she could kill Bhall and claim her dominion for herself. And we would once again have a goddess of holy fire.

But these are only stories, shared on cold snowy nights. For there is none so far who is capable of passing through the Ring of Carcer and freeing the trapped archangel.

Other explorers are reporting unusual reactions to exploring the perilous world of Erebus

Whether that made him more appealing to the local wildlife or not we will never know, as he is gone.

My wishes to learn more about farming have come true as we know the secrets of Agriculture and are learning how to harness the animals around us. Our search for the vile magic users has not resulted in finding anyone but we have mapped most of the lands to the west.

There are still unknown parts to be explored here that will determine if we are boxed in in this direction and have free expansion here or there are pathways to other tribes still to be discovered. If so, a point we can cut them off must be found.

Around the capital it is clearer

We have a mountain range that blocks access from the south. Two cities could be founded at each end to block the approach of the magic users. There may be an alternate path they could follow to the north east, which should be mapped as we can afford the resources to do so.

The future is far from certain but the Bannor shall endure.

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0020.CivBeyondSwordSave
    115.9 KB · Views: 22
in that first question mark pic, it looks like an evil, shadow lego hand grasping at the world :shudder:

our lands appear a bit . . . lacking to me, no?

who needs luxury resources anyway! (some incense for all those temples we're going to build might be useful)

Hello Everyone! I am terribly sorry! I somehow missed the last updates. I was actuall wondering when the game would start, only to find out that there was a save already posted two days ago.
Anyway, I played my turns very quickly and will be equally quick with the AAR: not much happened. Most of my turns were taken up by the effort of extracting the northern scouting party from the corner of the map wher I found them. Unforutnately the north is crawling with bears (who are also intent on founding new lairs at every opportunity), so I had to backtrack a lot. I destroyed two lairs, which were the ony martial achievements during my reign. Fortunately the scout seems to be in the clear now. While I waited I built another scout in the capital and sent it south, hopefully we can get a bit more exploring done before the world gets too crowded... and too dangerous.
I suggest building a worker in the capital as soon as it grows again. As for science, no new discoveries were made but we are close to finishing animal husbandry. Maybe crafting next?
Anyway, here attached is my save. Good luck!

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    125.5 KB · Views: 23
i've got it, and can play and post tomorrow.

i wonder if there's something to be said for a settler before a worker maybe? idk. i know it's a rare thing to do, but maybe having a 2nd city up and running sooner rather than later as our capital is a bit lackluster.

of course, there's always the thought that something nice is to our NE

I think maybe the worker first as we can improve the tiles now, which make building the settler easier later!

As it is AW, I would be cautious about exploring too far south before we get our blocker cities up and defended. We don't necessarily want them to find us at the moment and until we have Valin, we won't be going on the offensive. The more important issue is scouting the unknown areas NE and W, to see if we need more blockers.

Regarding blocker cities. I was in a hurry yesterday so I did not include any screenshots in my post, but here is one now to show that the southern mountain range is a lot more porous than it looked at first, so it's not like we can just defend one or two chokepoints (If you want defensible positions you have to play on the erebus mapscript - athouth that one has other disadvantages)

upload_2022-3-29_23-14-18.png

It's a crusade, they said. At least it gets you out in the open air. It'll be fun, getting rid of all the magic-users.

Pfft. Yeah, and how many of that terrible kind have we found so far? a clan of bear mages which were probably just bears?

Every day, same thing. Walk a bit, draw on the parchment the stuff i see like mountains and trees and seas and such, then walk again the next day, draw.

walk. draw. walk. draw.

some war.

A lot more hitting enter here for us. We got some gold from the goody hut we found, but lost a scout up north to a bear. AH came in, and I went w crafting. What's the main way to get commerce in game? are cottages moved? I didn't see it on the tech screen and am only now thiknig i should've used teh civopedia. I corraled our remaining southern scout as I am wary of Oz's warning: any meeting means a DOW, and after last game and seeing our start, i want to delay. maybe just see what's to the north until we feel ready to explore for victims. also, though there are the paths, we could fortress them and station troops adjacent, but i think we can still hold at the Southern Range.

i stopped w the worker, and started him on the farm. the city is building another warrior; i figured armed fog-busting in our neighborhood may be better in the near-term, and to help defend our worker. the city is set for max food so we can get to pop4 if we want for the settler, though, the extra tile yield from one more may not make the wait worth it now that i think on it. it would probably only be 2f1h or 1f2h tiles so, maybe settler now?

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0056.CivBeyondSwordSave
    134.6 KB · Views: 16
Roster:
Ozbenno - on his funny deck
King Bullrush
pholkhero just played
Tinadafish - UP NOW

HOLY BORE I say!!!

My bad for not noticing the porous nature of the mountains. Will have to try and plug the holes somehow. My experience is that the AI will mostly all follow the same path to us, so we just need to plug that.

I agree that settler next is a good move but where? Tindafish can you post some suggestions in your set. Have we established whether there is any extra land to the west? We can probably just leave the bears to the north east to protect us from any invasion that direction.

Tech wise, unless we want the same issues as last game, we need to get Mysticism done quickly. We can use God King, Elder Councils and the great scientists it can bring. We will be a powerhouse once we can get Orders From Heaven researched but for that we need beakers. I would say Mysticism should be next. We also need to squeeze in Archery and Bronze Working at some point (we need beakers)!!

If you don't mind me suggesting from the sidelines I would suggest the long term solution of settling one city on the forested pass to the right bottom and another on top of the lair on the bottom left. That should plug both those up long term.

Picked up the save, I definitely think ancient chants -> mysticism -> education is the way to go for now, we can start developing cottages then

Edit: not too sure about crafting but we've already put 110 beakers in it and if we took a detour for mining and found copper nearby that would probably be worth it

Last edited:
The 1st reign of Fish-Capria was as mostly uneventful as the previous rulers, our scout to the north found a bear guarding an arctic village and it was decided to doubleback to the south west, where he was tragically killed in a griffon incident.
We started building the first settler, learned the secrets of crafting and built the foundation of an agricultural economy to support torrolerial for the foreseeable future.
I included a screenshot of PPQ's suggested cities for reference of ideas where that settler might go, we should probably build another scout once he's done though or maybe we should stop feeding the local wildlife until we've got competent hunters/axemen.

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0076.CivBeyondSwordSave
    141.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ppq suggest cities.png
    ppq suggest cities.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • endofreign.png
    endofreign.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
My logic with those two is that they are both decently defensible, block off the southern passes AND they leave you with two extra slots in the middle (one for Fish + corn and another for the cows. :)

House rule/role playing question: When we encounter other civs, do we declare war on sight or only once we have evidence of magic use (like: mana nodes built / arcane units deployed / magical techs known - seen in the diplomacy screen, etc..)?

Regarding cities: I"m not sure we should rush to settle so far away. Those cities don't actually block anything. They can be bypassed, so in case of war it means that we have to garrisson both of them and the core regions of our empire at once. The AI knows where our troops are and will attack weak points, and having cities to far appart makes it harder to redeploy units in response to enemy advances.

Regarding tech: Education sounds good and the Bannor actually have good reasons to build cottages early and often (they can be used to spawn our unique unit later).
Regarding religious techs: we definitely want to have the order religion in the long run. But in the short run, if our science output allows it, we may want to use our religion hopping ability to take a detour through OO for their priests with tsunamis. That is the only offensive magic we can use in this game an will make defending the coastal passes a lo easyer.

Another long term ideea: We really should make every effort to build the mercurian gate ourselves (to deny it to other civs, and because it will allow us to "recycle" most of our lost units - which are bound to be numerous in an AW scenario). Of course, we can't stop the Mercurians from using magic, but from my experience they rarely do, as they usually build other units.

Right it seems it is back to me unless anyone else wants to jump in!

I'll play until the new settler is ready and we can then decide where to build!

As for your questions KB:

As it is Always War, we will automatically declare on any AI we meet, thus the desire to not meet them for a while!

I get the point about the blocker cities being far away and maybe we don't want them immediately but we will need to try and funnel the AI once they start coming in waves. This mountain range seems the best spot for that at the moment. We'll need some agile defence in any case.

Good point re: Education, I had forgotten about that (once we're in Crusade, a unit will spawn on a town). As for OO, I don't really think it fits the theme of the SG (and yes, does make it harder not doing it).

Really good point though about Mecurian Gate. It would be good to have an ally and recycle our units.

Top Bottom