RPG Ground Rules Discussion

This Game will take place starting 2000 BC, and will go on to the very end of the Demogame, until 2000 AD. In this game you basically run a clan, with the heart of a clans leader, and we need some basic number generator that will compute in game events into tangible clan developments, happenings and so on.

So basically, we will follow the clan through all 50, 40 and 25 year increments as development per generation of the clan, as each generation at that time was hardly more than 50 yeas. This means we will run the Clan Game until the invention of Samurai (Chivalry) as a generational clan game.

Each clan can choose to either settle down in a city, or a landmark tile, which
could be developed into a city, a land improvement, or a piece of structure (fortress (Airport)

Public Polls
The outcomes of public polls, one specified public poll between each turnchat that can be used as a RPG element poll, to be polled on for the clangame members. This could be a science poll, a city localization poll and so on.

Unit adoption
As they game progresses, each player is allowed to adopt a unit, and the player that picks the unit first, must keep that unit, also within upgrades.
Please remember your unit, as it will impact your clan.

Clan structure
Each clan has an inner council of five members, with max 6 attributes in total.
In addition to the council, there are family members, sons and daughters that can be married away, sent to wars and used for different means to strengthen the power of the clan.

Wars and peace
War situations may turn the fortunes of a clan from good to bad, bad to good, a tile may be plundered, a city conquered, a tile lost, a unit severely reduced/disbanded and so on. These things will impact the clan.

Lifestyle
Economic slider and city jobs in nearest city will impact lifestyle of the clan, marriage opportunities, noble titles and so on.

City improvements
This will impact clan professions, based on where the clan is located

Clan members in Government, offices and other places
This will impact the standing of the clan for that period (no political parties, each individual is a clan)

Clan traits
As the Japanese Cvilization is religious and militaristic, the clan has also two chosen traits, which is not merits or flaws, just a focus area.

Clan special unit
Each term, the clan can choose to be a unit of footmen, maritime, cavalry, aviators, entrepeneurs or citypeople (one pop controlled in a city, adopt a pop, and consult with domestic/governor to change the work).

Finally, we will have a set of merits and flaws of the clan (Strong leaders versus inbred for example), where the sum of all these must be level at 3 points. we will have a clan code to be polled and voted so we agree.

The game will change ruleset to follow more personal careers by the following milestones.

Monarchy
Astronomy
Steam Power
Replacable Parts
Space Flight

The goal of the clan is to survive, gain prestige among the other clans, and be part of the Japanese ascendancy to power, and contribute to that.

Attributes could be

Stewardship
Diplomacy
Martial
Religion
Fertility
Status

This is just a synopsis and may be revamped. Hopefully this can make the game more immersive, not undermining the main DG5.

Hey, I'd be willing to join this.

A little RPing to go with Civ could be fun.

Basic Rules:

* In order to participate in the Demogame RPG at all you must first become a member of the Demogame.

* Inorder to partcipate in the Demogame RPG you must register your character within the Character Registration thread.

* You can only have one character, but you can kill one character off and create a new one. You can however only do this twice a term.

* You may not kill other players character unless they've agreed on it.

* You must follow all of the CivFanatic Forums rules.

* No Supernatural creatues and/or superpowers.

* No econimical things: Currency, banks, etc.

Story-Telling:

If you want to create your own story there are several guidelines you must follow:

* You must follow the Demogame Map (IE: Your story can not exist in a place we have not explored yet in the DG.)

* You must follow the tech limits from the Demogame. (Only tech's we have completed researching and the tech which we are researching at that point)

* You are alowed to create NPC's for your story.

When playing your character in a story please:

* Respect the person that is creating the story.

* Do not drag NPC's of your own making into the story.

* Try not to make it too spammy (loads of posts saying 'yes', would not be a good idea)

* Stories that follow demogame events or decisions are greatly encouraged (This is more of a general rule)

The Following Are Purely Optional

The Skills System

Purely Optional

Basically you start off with 5 points, you can allocate these 5 points to any of the skills you want, so far we have these:

Armed- primarily defensive (defending while armed)
Unarmed- primarily defensive (defending while unarmed)
Shield- (primarily defensive (defending with a shield)

Horsemanship (general term given to the next 3)

Speed (for races on the flat)
Steeplechase (for cross country racing)
Wielding a weapon on horse (couldnt think a of a better word for it) (for fighting on a horse)

weaponry (general term for the one's given below)
sword (attacking with a sword)
bow (attacking with a bow)
unarmed (attacking while unarmed)
(future weapons e.g. marksmanship)

so to begin with i may have the stats
Shield: 2
Speed :1
Sword :2

I then at the end of every term which i have been active in recieve 2 bonus points which i can add to any skill i want. (There is also the possibility of recieving a bonus point for being best story teller)

Additional Merit/Flaw Advanced Ruleset
Merit/Flaws are an optional part used to give your character spice.

* You can not have more than 3 Merits

* For each Merit your character has he must have a flaw

Merits are not always good, as Flaws are always bad. A person with the Merit Huge Size presents a bigger target to archers where as a person with the flaw short presents a smaller target.

Current Merit/Flaws:

Merits:
Photographic Memory
Code of Honor
Common Sense
Concentration
Calm Heart
Self-Confident
Animal Magnetism
Ambidextrous
Natural Linguist
Daredevil
Perfect Balance
Jack-Of-All-Trades
True Love
Danger Sense
True Faith
Huge Size

Flaws:
Compulsion
Nightmares
Overconfident
Phobia
Speech Impediment
Low-self Image
Deranged
Hatred
Amnesia
Confused
Weak-Willed
Absent-Minded
Hard of Hearing
Bad Sight
Uneducated
Insane Past Life
Twisted Upbringing
Mute
Short

This was purely a copy and paste about the merit system from strider's post, however we agreed that 5 was far too many and that it was going to be 3?

Okay thats all the laws/rules we have so far bar perfections idea as it hasnt really been discussed.

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
still say we should be allowed more than 1 character.
if i have time today, ill dig through dg2 to see what we did there.
if not that, at least let us use the NPCs

SaaM
you can use npcs, but they can only be in others story with 'others' permission

BCLG, add a note before the Advanced Rulesets that says this:

"After reading the Basic Ruleset you can create a character and continue play. The following is additional rules that allows you to make your character more unique."

Stuck: We've already decided that it would be to confusing if someone drags there NPCs into anothers story constantly. It was ruins the experience for other players.

Strider said:
BCLG, add a note before the Advanced Rulesets that says this:

"After reading the Basic Ruleset you can create a character and continue play. The following is additional rules that allows you to make your character more unique."

Stuck: We've already decided that it would be to confusing if someone drags there NPCs into anothers story constantly. It was ruins the experience for other players.
done, anything else that should be added?

Black_Hole said:
done, anything else that should be added?

Not anything I can think of right now, unless anyone has anymore idea's for the advanced rulesets.

Of course, maybe we should make them more of an "Advanced Character Creation" and not part of the rules themselves.

I thought I had already join... But I guess I will join again.

I would like to join.
however the skills system confuses me how did BCLG100 figure out the points for his character, like the shield:2 Speed:1 and Sword:2. Would it be considered that he upgraded is sheilding and sword weilding capacity to level 2?

yup, pretty much, it was just an example, i could of used any stats. i could of had level 5 sword and nothing else.

Well, we seem to be doing fairly good right now. All we have to wait is for TF to give us a yay nor nay on the forum. Untill we get an answer, no one post anymore RPG threads. If we do get the forum, then one of the mods would have to move the threads and I don't want to cause to much trouble for them. Also, I don't want to make it hard to see actual game discussions.

Strider said:
Well, we seem to be doing fairly good right now. All we have to wait is for TF to give us a yay nor nay on the forum. Untill we get an answer, no one post anymore RPG threads. If we do get the forum, then one of the mods would have to move the threads and I don't want to cause to much trouble for them. Also, I don't want to make it hard to see actual game discussions.
i still think we should wait a few days b4 asking TF

Black_Hole said:
i still think we should wait a few days b4 asking TF

I don't plan on asking him untill another couple of days. Of course he might come check up on us without me reminding him.

I still don't think it's a good idea to do much right now.

Strider said:
I don't plan on asking him untill another couple of days. Of course he might come check up on us without me reminding him.

I still don't think it's a good idea to do much right now.
but if we dont do much, he will think we wont be active, whats 2 or 3 more threads for the mods to move?

Yes i have to say that anyone that wants to start an RPG thread should, however it would be a benefeit if in advance they could find people to actively take part, otherwise it will just be an empty thread so yes post away, not so much that it is spam though.

Top Bottom