RPG Ground Rules Discussion

Is Charisma on there? If not that should be a definate merit.

Maybe self-centered and gullible for flaws, if they were not mentioned.

We just got to basically work the merits/ flaws out, then it should be easier to get the RPG started.

Zarn said:
Is Charisma on there? If not that should be a definate merit.

Maybe self-centered and gullible for flaws, if they were not mentioned.

We just got to basically work the merits/ flaws out, then it should be easier to get the RPG started.

Only thing is, Merits/Flaws presents a HUGE possibility. We could spend years and still not think of all of the possible ones. The best thing we could do is just keep adding on as we think of them.

Adds Charisma to the merit list and self-centered and gullible to the flaws list.

B] Basic Rules: [/B]

* In order to participate in the Demogame RPG at all you must first become a member of the Demogame.

* Inorder to partcipate in the Demogame RPG you must register your character within the Character Registration thread.

* You can only have one character, but you can kill one character off and create a new one. You can however only do this twice a term.

* You may not kill other players character unless they've agreed on it.

* You must follow all of the CivFanatic Forums rules.

* No Supernatural creatues and/or superpowers.

* No econimical things: Currency, banks, etc.

Story-Telling:

If you want to create your own story there are several guidelines you must follow:

* You must follow the Demogame Map (IE: Your story can not exist in a place we have not explored yet in the DG.)

* You must follow the tech limits from the Demogame. (Only tech's we have completed researching and the tech which we are researching at that point)

* You are alowed to create NPC's for your story.

When playing your character in a story please:

* Respect the person that is creating the story.

* Do not drag NPC's of your own making into the story.

* Try not to make it too spammy (loads of posts saying 'yes', would not be a good idea)

* Stories that follow demogame events or decisions are greatly encouraged (This is more of a general rule)

The Following Are Purely Optional

The Skills System

Purely Optional

Basically you start off with 5 points, you can allocate these 5 points to any of the skills you want, so far we have these:

Armed- primarily defensive (defending while armed)
Unarmed- primarily defensive (defending while unarmed)
Shield- (primarily defensive (defending with a shield)

Horsemanship (general term given to the next 3)

Speed (for races on the flat)
Steeplechase (for cross country racing)
Wielding a weapon on horse (couldnt think a of a better word for it) (for fighting on a horse)

weaponry (general term for the one's given below)
sword (attacking with a sword)
bow (attacking with a bow)
unarmed (attacking while unarmed)
(future weapons e.g. marksmanship)

so to begin with i may have the stats
Shield: 2
Speed :1
Sword :2

I then at the end of every term which i have been active in recieve 2 bonus points which i can add to any skill i want. (There is also the possibility of recieving a bonus point for being best story teller)

Additional Merit/Flaw Advanced Ruleset
Merit/Flaws are an optional part used to give your character spice.

* You can not have more than 3 Merits

* For each Merit your character has he must have a flaw

Merits are not always good, as Flaws are always bad. A person with the Merit Huge Size presents a bigger target to archers where as a person with the flaw short presents a smaller target.

Current Merit/Flaws:

Merits:
Photographic Memory
Code of Honor
Common Sense
Concentration
Calm Heart
Self-Confident
Animal Magnetism
Ambidextrous
Natural Linguist
Daredevil
Perfect Balance
Jack-Of-All-Trades
True Love
Danger Sense
True Faith
Huge Size
Charisma

Flaws:
Compulsion
Nightmares
Overconfident
Phobia
Speech Impediment
Low-self Image
Deranged
Hatred
Amnesia
Confused
Weak-Willed
Absent-Minded
Hard of Hearing
Bad Sight
Uneducated
Insane Past Life
Twisted Upbringing
Mute
Short
Self Centered
Gullible
Simpleton

i didnt add your strider as they seem to be more physical merits rather than mental merits which i thought the whole 'merit/flaw' thing was based on.

about the skills thing, maybe but that does just add extra complications, so i think we should leave it till later.

Some things that need fixing:

Merits are not always good, as Flaws are always bad. A person with the Merit Huge Size presents a bigger target to archers where as a person with the flaw short presents a smaller target.

It should be:

Merits are not always good, as Flaws are not always bad. A person with the Merit Huge Size presents a bigger target to archers where as a person with the flaw short presents a smaller target.

* We still need a skill for driving (this can wait untill later though)

* Add something like "It would be a good idea to find people to partcipate in your story before posting it. (Do not however, send a PM to everyone in the game asking)" This might help keep some useless threads that nobody wanted to partcipate in down.

* We need to put a limited ban on "spam threads" or threads that are "I'll join" or "I want to join this." Any ideas?

BTW, don't post the whole ruleset time and time again, only the parts that need changing. It gets annoying.

Something to talk about also:

What do you guys think of stories taking place "outside" of our nations bordors. In another nations cities or the like?

Personally, I see no problem with it. As long as that area is "explored" (and we have the correct technology). You can go there. I would like to see what you guys think though.

Also, What about the SM (story manager) idea? Should we have 2 or 3 people who's sole purpose is to create stories? What about leadership wise? We need someone (or two people) as a "head" to run everything. Right now an unoffcial vote put BCLG in that poistion, but we still might want to think about a more formal vote.

thats twice ive posted it, seeing how TF is checking tonight i thick its best that any flaws are ironed out, the merits and flaws thing was simply a typo i just didnt see it when i copied that bit over.

we cant add driving now as we dont have motorized transport we could also add a skill for flying and motorbiking but they can salso wait.

as for the story thing, i believe a thread would be best if I just created a thread saying 'Open Story's' or something along them lines then we can just have posts deleted when the story's are full. We can have people post the required number of characters, basic story line etc.

About the 'i'll join' problem as you can see from the latest story thread that shouldnt be a problem, another way of doing it will be for an rpg'er to send a PM to the story's creator.

ah to striders next post, i think that we shouldnt rely to heavily on something taking part in 'enemy' borders, i still think we should do it, especiallyif we have an embassy there.

The story manager idea is a good idea to begin with as people may need new story ideas to get going, after awhile we may need to reconsider.

im more than happy to be story manager, i think however that a second can only benefeit for times when one of us may be away.

Well, with the "I'll Join" would be more of a problem with tournaments. That needs to be smashed down, I would say forcing a tournament creator to take sign-ups VIA PM would be a fairly good idea though. We need to add a bit in the ruleset about tournaments and creation guidelines, any idea's for that?

yes via PM is a good idea, another idea is if you wanty to say im joining, a good idea would be too just jump straight in with the role play.

however PM'ing is the best idea. a rule in itself may be hard to instigate but a guidline such as, what i said earlier would probably be best.

Black_Hole said:
congratz everyone! the rpg forum is gonna be added:D

Where did you hear this?

Edit:

Nevermind, figured it out. Awesome!!

Okay, now that we have the forum, we need to start thinking alittle more on organization.

Needed Threads(stickied):
Character Registry
RPG Rules

I think those two should be the only sticked threads, anything else would just get in the way. Also, when need to start discussion on leadership, this RPG won't last very long if we don't have someone running it. Right now BCLG is the leader by an unoffcial vote, what does everyone think of that?

Also, about the SM. Do we want to implement it? If so, how many people should start off as it?

Strider said:
Okay, now that we have the forum, we need to start thinking alittle more on organization.

Character Registry
RPG Rules

I think those two should be the only sticked threads, anything else would just get in the way. Also, when need to start discussion on leadership, this RPG won't last very long if we don't have someone running it. Right now BCLG is the leader by an unoffcial vote, what does everyone think of that?

Also, about the SM. Do we want to implement it? If so, how many people should start off as it?
I can also head it with bclg or help him with it

edit: all threads on hold till forum is up and rulset is ratified

Black_Hole said:
I can also head it with bclg or help him with it
ill be adding character registry in a few minutes...
also all important threads will be linked to in this thread, for easy referece

Don't make anything untill the forum is up! Wait, and even if the forum does come up don't make any threads or the like for awhile.

okay strider, but mayb after some discussion we should poll the rules b4 anything else...

edit: an idea, why not have the ppl incharge of the rpg in the election cycle as an election, and have like 2/3 ppl

The Skills system may be better if it takes part in a different thread, so people can easily check, go to tournaments etc.

We need to wait however until there actually made before adding anything

Strider said:

Character Registry
RPG Rules

i have an idea, mayb every week or mayb 2 one story is nominated(not shur how yet) as the best story of that week or half month and that can be stickied for all to see :D

Yes perhaps, maybe be monthly, that would probably be along the lines of my 'dest story teller' idea

Top Bottom