• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

RSG 02 (Deity) - The Randomness Continues

Maybe I'm just rash, but we have built a warrior for bodyguard duty at home already - I'd go settler right away, then archers ad infinitum.

I'm not worried about body guard duty. Attila will soon have horse archers. Those along with a battering ram will have us losing that city quickly without ranged support.

I still like the SW city too-) And the last X location looks good for me too.

Archer before the settler makes sense too, but I think it'll be ok to build archers after a settler. We'll leave the city unprotected just for 4-5 turns after all.

Hmm, probably going archers would have been better after all, I certainly underestimated how slow our start was comparing to the deity AI's....

Turn 40. Finish a quarry, now Lisbon has marble. Will be building flood plains farms after. Switched capital production from archer to settler (9 turns), leave archer in the queue, as discussed. Can't work the hill without farm though.

A glance of Polish territories
Spoiler :

Turn 41. Lisbon borders have expanded to truffles, work them instead of flood plain- -1 faith for +2 gpt and one turn off from the settler.
Porto is working on 18 turns archer, brrr...

Attila desires friendly relations with our empire, sure xD
Spoiler :

Turn 42. IBT

Turn 43. Inca's terrace farms are amazing, he has 17 pop in 3 cities right now.
Spoiler :

Attila also has 3 cities, and it looks like they share borders (see mini map). Oh, I don't like this swordsman:(

Turn 44. Good news- another first CS. Bad news- 4 Hunnic swordsmans stay by our borders xD Should I switch the capital back to the archer?)
Spoiler :

Also, since I stopped anyway, should I switch this 15-turns archer in Porto to a worker? We will need worker there eventually.

Can't work the hill without farm though.
Btw, when making settlers, you can switch to all hills: food doesn't count (to a degree). Hills for all and none will starve. Somtimes 2F 1H tiles like unimproved stone will fare just as good, but mostly it's just hammer focus.

I believe Attila is being deceitful. Letting the settler wait in queue might be wise (I'm not saying I am, though :cool: ). That said, if we switch to archers, I think it best if we give those sunk-cost turns a good sigh and really focus on putting out enough archers that when we do finish the settler, we'll have the Court in hand.

Yes. I would go back to an archer. Bring the women and children inside and bring the warrior back toward the homeland.

Let's continue:)

Turn 44. Switched capital to archer, switched assignment to full food.

Turn 45. Attila's swordsmans are moving around, but not too aggressively.

Turn 46. Someone built the Stonehenge, our scouts reached North end of a continent.
Spoiler :

Warrior keeps exploring S-SW, but since Inka didn't met anyone else, it's safe to assume that it's a 4 civs continent.
Spoiler :

Research construction (15 turns) for composite bowmans, we need writing and trapping for truffles soon.

Also a trade route would be great, unfortunately we can't send it to anyone but Hunns. Still, 7 gpt for CS is useful.
Spoiler :

Turn 47. Mmm, more donations for pour king (or queen) -)
Spoiler :

Turn 48. IBT, Attila fights some barb's good:)

Turn 49. Hi there, Lodz.
Spoiler :

Still too far for a trade route right now, but should be ok and safe soon.

There is some fun building that gives us magistrates in math:) Not like we are going to use it soon, but still. I forgot to take a pic.

Turn 50. Hah, that's funny-) Guess who's the richest person around
Spoiler :

***** look at what we have!!
Spoiler :
We need this worker or we'll be unhappy soon..

Someone mentioned horse archers
Spoiler :

Attila acts like a grammar school bully. If we are more than half his military strength he may take his forces elsewhere. That is a big MAY. He also just might covet our lands. I think if we can get four archers we can hold off a Hun assault. Four composite bows and we are safe.

Yes, archers are necessary to provide our safety and support all warmongering ambitions-)

However economy is important to pay maintenance and upgrade army. So I suggest archer->caravan in the capital. With an archer from Porto it will be 3 of them.
Our libraries are really late plus we don't have science trade routes. I think we need (at least) one of these science sources.

Also, I think, new worker can improve stuff around Porto?

Attila may take his forces elsewhere
Not for a long I guess;) Attila that doesn't declare war on all his neighbors by mid-medieval era would be surprising xD

Btw, I checked and no one wants to start war with Hunns or backwards.

I guess we need the line up:

Beorn <= UP
Gurra <= on deck
Bug
Menelann <= just played

Still looking for a fifth teammate

So, I make archers. Settler on hold, caravan on maybe. I usually go caravan after I have 4-5 archers. With construction coming up, I'd try and max out on our cheap basic archers while it's possible.

I'd say once we have 4 archers, we can continue with settler and trade routes. We should be pretty close.

Either way, my turnset is going to be archers. That's alright.

Our geographic position sucks as long as Attila stands to our West. We can't very well attack Casimir since it's all rough terrain and he's REXing it hard. Expanding to a 3rd city is not enough to build up enough to take on Casimir in the long run - especially since we need to stay on our toes 100% of the time.

What we need to ask now is: where do we go from there? Do we try and carve ourselves a 3rd city and propser as much as we can from there, do we want to capture cities ASAP, or do we want to nurture a conflict between AIs where we could arrive and sweep it from behind?

All 3 options are equally risky because of the opportunity costs (growing more or less, conquering or not having conquered earlier, owning land ASAP or letting the AI reap it, etc).

This, imo, is the decision that will make or break the game.

I'll do my best to scout around Attila, see if he has non-mountainous access to another one of the boys. The rest should be simple book keeping.

Got it, will play within 48.

I would say go for Attila with two cities. It would be great to make someone else to fight him too.

*** oh, no save, sorry:/ will post it at evening.

All 3 options are equally risky because of the opportunity costs (growing more or less, conquering or not having conquered earlier, owning land ASAP or letting the AI reap it, etc).

This, imo, is the decision that will make or break the game.
An excellent observation. Short term I think we have two goals:
1. get a strong enough military to defend against a Hun attack.
2. found a city on the southern red X

If we can do that, then I think we will be able to survive to pursue our intermediate goal of getting Petra.

Top Bottom