Rule By Might: A stay in Despotism Succession Game

Yup -- I've got the ball -- was seriously distracted last week & weekend. Will play tonight & post accordingly.

Hmmm -- 41cities, 61 techs, but second in pop & third in Lit -- go figure. We have a dozen wonders and are supreme & honorable.

1854 (0) -- Buy Nara for -840, +14 (gain 3 buildings and 3 inf.) Toggle to 4.4.2 (Az are researching tactics (so are we), so maybe we’ll slow the research a bit & waste our money elsewhere. Sell 3 granaries. buy a CH for Lut. some alliances against us occur. (Az start Hoover Dam.)

1856 (2) -- Ship Ghu oil (d) to Tarsus for 70g -- very disappointing.

1857 (3) -- Mongols complete WS -- Rom, Vik, Eng all abandon. We lose a Rifle & Eng in the Shimon area. to the Japanese. Found south Tarsus. Ergili oil (d) to Tarsus = 56g; very disappointing. Gord copper (d) to Cal = 328g; Salt (n) to Tlat = 108.

1858 (4) -- Buy some infrastructure; a couple of non demanded trucks net 130 & 138 in Az world.

1859 (5) -- (Romans start UN) Romans break the cease fire (oh my -- we’re surprised!) Az discovers Tactics -- we swap Comb for it; give them GE as requested, then follow for a request for a gift -- alliance dissolved (rats).

1860 (6) -- Sardis copper (d) to Tlax = 300; Jap dragoon slays a Rifle in itty former Jap city -- and that city is not only gone but forgotten.

1861 (7) -- Opt for Machine tools & discover it -- opt for Flight (over AW & Auto) Pop = 10M (Eng land a dragoon in swamps near Susa; they also gain conscription.)

1863 (9) -- Barbs land near Ura/Pasar. Perse builds the Hoover Dam (Az switches to UN) Lose a destroyer & cav, but take Yokohama (+13g -- the Japs must be POOR!) Sell a couple of granaries. Gord (d) Silk to Teo = 360’ five other trucks net 98 to 164g, ave about 110 or so.

1864 (10) Take Ravenna (and Sun Tsu -- let’s keep this town for a while) Vikes start UN.

Notes -- I decided to stop at 10 turns (the length per turn is creeping up.) Three other civs are working on the Un; we maybe 1K in gold, so we can crank out some trucks for it if desired. Decided to delay Auto (since we don’t have the Colossus, there’s no reason to delay flight; I don’t recall how well Superhighways work for Monarchs & Despots -- but Auto ends Leo’s so it may be a wash.)

Tarsus has a barracks (built just before the taking of Ravenna -- but we may want a place for healing wounded troops for the next few turns anyway.) -- recommend an Alpine for the Barb threat -- fortified in the swamps, he might withstand some hits (maybe rotate some non-vet rifles down there to gain experience & them post back for guard duty.) & can sail through the muck to nab the leader should he stick around. Also there still might be an English dragoon in the south end of our territory (he passed out of sight, so be careful with guards.)

0: 20% tax, 40% sci, 40% lux.

1: Barbs kill rifle, Romans to commie and kill two units. Mongs get steel from vikes. Zohack engineers. Gord Hides (nd 120). Capture Echigo. Loose spy & destroyer. Gulaman Hides to Altin Tepe (nd 8g +2 trade).

2: Mongs get commie from vikes, Eng get Corp from vikes. 2 vet spies.

3: Eng get Eco from vikes, Mongs and Japs declaire war. Romans electricity, vikes refining. Herat spice (d 426).

4: Mongs revolt Japs in Izumi. Romans incite revolt Revenna, take conscription, then steal combustion. Vikes sneak attack. Flight, go for radeo. Bribe Sapporo (492 less 28).

5: Eng university, Az gurilla war. Romans poison water suply of ?Jeruselem. Antioch copper (d112) Arbella wool (d 102) Merv gold (d160) Liberate Ravenna, get 35g.

6: London builds UN. Revolt Echizen (130 less 7). Sidon dye (d152) Tarsus gems(d 204) Susa gems (d 108). Capture Nagoya. 1 vet spy, barb leader.

7: Romans Eng get poly from vikes. Romans and Japs sign pact to "contain our agression" (I believe they declaired war on us). Bactra Aquaduct.

8: Romans bribe Revanna and take Tactics. Susa silk (d 164), gord hides (nd 80) Pasa. hides (nd 80), Istakhr silk (d 108).

9: Eng destroy oxford court, declare war. Mongs get Refining from vikes. Radeo, go for Adv. Flight. Persopolis gold (nd 51), ura Tyube gems (d 84), Osaka silver (d 254) Behistun wine (d 147) sardis beads (d 96). Bribe Ravenna (377 less 24) and Fukushima (318 less 25).

10: Mongs get corp from vikes, we are the happiest civ in the world (vs all those demos and republics and commmies and fundies, Ironic, isn't it ;) :lol: ;) :crazyeye: ) Romans get electronics, Jinjan court, syracuse court, oxford court, Persopolis factory.

Notes: We have fighters, and are building one airport. We will be able to build bombers soon, and no one else knows flight :D.

Looks like we 'll need to a) maintain a larger budget, b) build a CH in Ravenna and c) post some guards outside of that town (at least until MW comes on line.) I don't recall ever seeing a city bribed out from under me twice! :eek:

1 – 1875 Rush six airports for freights, Japs broken ceasefire.
2 – 1876 Capture Edo, 34g, Freights 36g, 126g,126g, 70g
3 – 1877 – Rebelion in Oxford, English také Tactics.
4 – 1878 – Our partisans supported bz destrzers conqered Nottingham – 157g, Fundamentalism, Ceasefire with English. Fr 93,96,96 g, Tozama bribed 33g back, Advanced flight
5 – 1879 – Fr, 39,444,158g – Finally some good freight.
6 – 1880 – Fr. 187, 384g
7 – 1881 – Liberate Oxford 99g, Capture Ise 31g, Fr. 172g
8 – 1882 – Conquered Lungdunum (Romans), 83g, Fr 198g.
9 - 1883 – Miniaturization, Fr 155g, 372g.
10 – 1884 –Fr 194g, 198g, 90g, 10g 36g

Some short notes - we do not have enough goods for freights - it is difficult to find some interesting cities. I wanted to go for SETI - this could help a bit. I wanted to get some knowledges to Mongols, but they want to fight only.

South off our main island we need some city or airfield. Fighters need to go south to fight. (or maybe some carrier would be nice).

Save for now, details later. Tried my best not to fight, but took a few lumps in (not) doing so.

We have 53 cities and 68 techs -- more than anyone else. Romans have 15 cities, and 59 techs; Vikes, Mongols and English are all close (54 techs), all Fundy and all at war with us. Oh well. And we wanted to launch a spaceship.

The goals for the next set of turns will be the acquisition of science and economy, and forbearance to not attack and conquer.

1884 (0) -- Sell a couple of granaries. found S Pasar. Toggle to 3.4.3 (need some more cash.) Mongol cavs creep into Japanese lands -- wound a rifle and slay an engineer. Romans lose a destroyer vs. our Alpine. A couple of cities shift in and out of We Love & disorder (and this seems to happen most every turn.)

1885 (1) -- Pop a hut on the N Pole = 4 barbs (buy one) Sell a couple more granaries. pasar Silk (d) to Brun = 448, Tarsus oil (n) to Brun = 211. Set about to re-establish boat chain to Az world…then later discover why it was abandoned -- little need with airlift.

1886 (2) -- Romans discover flight. We discover Auto & opt for Mass Prod. over AW & MW. found NE Perse. Trucks yield 134, 366, & 476 with demanded goods in foreign markets.

1877 (3) -- English cav dies vs. our Alpine -- in fact most turns, the English lose a couple of units, the Japanese one, we lose one and the Mongols lose two (details suppressed.) turcks generate 404, 262, 135 of mixed goods.

1888 (4) -- Build a few more barracks (and a few turns later realize that Sun Tsu is still working for us doh!) Toggle to 5.4.1 Trucks yield 580 (demanded gold from Sam to Cumae) and 192.

1889 (5) -- Discover MP, opt for Comp over AW, GW, NF, Rocket. (almost a tough choice -- I’d like to get a suite of Jeeps in place with vet status via Sun Tsu before it goes away. - but the desire to launch comes first…) Roman plane slays a rifle caught outdoors. English make their second landing this set of turns on our home rock -- they are easily brushed aside. Trucks yield 224 & 60 (domestic deliveries just don’t cut it!) 2840 beakers required for next advance.

1890 (6) -- The Japs flash a plane; Demanded hides from Gord to Neap = 422, non demanded stuff from Pasar to Cumae = 202.

1891 (7) -- Merv demanded gold to Cumae = 680, Kand demanded Wine to York = 210 Our fighter bumps into a Roman sub & sinks it on the way home.

1892 (8) -- We lose our first airlift (after 8 warnings) -- and yes it counts as a use for both airports. Trucks = 340, 207.

1893 (9) -- Az dev AW; their dip FINALLY steals radar after 8 attempts! With the option to declare war, we decide to do so (they have two techs that we don’t.) Get 396 & 259 from deliveries. Steal Aw & GW from Tlat & Calix.

1894 (10) -- Build SETI (although we’re not using science that hard lately.) Oops viks walk into empty Bamp (but we get six Non Parts in return, so maybe it wasn’t such a bad deal -- lost an engineer, but there was no infra there.) Shields for a spy in DK trucks yield 395, 432 & 408 with demanded goods in far away places.

Notes -- we have about $4K in the treasury -- I slowed serious buying down toward the end to build up a cushion. Also held back from taking anything and especially from buying any cities -- I think that we’ll want about $2000 or so to make their bribing untenable. We could use another airport or two in our Roman beachhead -- and airports in other locations as well.

There are a few large Roman cities -- clearly we should press products into their hands -- demanded goods seem to yield 400 beakers & cash from medium cities to medium/large cities. Aztec and English markets seem to be about half that; undemanded goods generate 100 to 200 in value.

For defense, vet Alpines on improved sites are holding, but any arty showing up needs to be shot on sight -- we are at war with everyone. Yes I think we can mobilize & crush them all, but I think that the bigger challenge will be to hold our ground and lift off.

OnS, we are going for conquest, though if you want to do spaceship we can choose a "branching point" and have two saves that go differently from there. By the terms of the rules, we can only kill two civs (unless we decide to include ourselves in the 4 count) before futur tech. Japs are down, they are not really standing, so we must choose who else to go for. It would probably be English or Romans, so who?

0:Change tax to 20,40,40 and that gives tech every 6 turns without diliveries.

1:Tech Exchanges:
Eng-Vikes: AmphWar.
Rome-jap: Mtools, Radio, Auto.
Rome-Vike: Auto, Radio, Flight.
Losse 3 partisents and various other units, liberate bampur. Sapporo silver to Brundisium (d340) pers gold (nd103). (will only mark 100+ diliveries)

2: Rocket, to Labour. Arbela wool to canterbury (d115), Gordium dye (d467), Alten tepe dye (d379), Pasargade hides (d176). Capture Nagasaki.

3:Loose, engineer, Mongs steal Mass production, Cese fire with japs. Susa oil to Byzantium (d677).

4:Tech exchange:
Rome: Adv. Flight.
Jap-Mongol: Masonry, Radio, Write, Auto, Trade.
Eng-Vike: Flight.
Japs brake cesefire. Labour Union, to recycle. Tarsus gems to Viroconium (d1128 :eek: ), Arbela silk to Texcoco (d320), Yokohama dye (d251). Rush superhighways in Sardis for dilivery that ended up taking place in 2 turns insted of one.

5: Tech exchange:Eng-Vike: radio. Sardis superhighways. Tarsus salt (nd412), capture dover.

6: tech exchange: Mong: AmphWar. Az Auto. Cesefire with english, romans brake cesefire. Recycle, to NucFission. Romans shoot down dye. Sardis oil (d959 with Superhighway), Tureng Tepe oil (d500), Gordium oil (d756) all to Virconium, osaka dye to Az (d171).

7:Eng get Electricity. Romans to fundy. Dakyanus Airport. NucFission, to NucPower. Capture Hakodate. Barbs near Izumo. Pers dye (d155). Kagoshima Coastle fortress destroyed.

8: Mongs steal adv. Flight (dip from Nagasaki), Vike-Eng, Elec, Atomictheory. Susa superhighways. Dakyanus oil to Pisae (d411). Found New Tarsus and Brand New Kyoto.

9: Tech exchange:
Japs get Adv. Flight.
Rome: MobWar.
Rome-Jap: Mobwar, amphwar.
Romevike:Adv. Flight, mobwar.
Barbs capture edo (rather than take all our funds) and we get many partisents, some were killed by barbs. Liberate Edo, capture Kagoshima (+119, mobwar), Build genoa.

10: Eng attack, Pers oil to Ormuz (d840) Bribe Suo (384-143), berbleader.

Notes: I some of trun 10 to the next player. Most importantly, there is a transport with goods in the Mongol Sea, and cannot get to refuge. The sci is full, so the next person will need to decide wether to risk staying afloat for sci, or to cash out the diliveries for cash only.

My computer isn't defragmenting properly, though I have no idea why. Just to be on the safe side, I won't participate in the succesion game further, at least until I know what the problem is.

We are rich – 8800 gold, at war with everybody. We need discover about six techs to meet first target – future tech.

My objectives are –
1/ to research, research, research
2/ to destroy Japs and English
3/ to conquer some Roman cities
4/ to make peace with Aztecs, Mongols, Vikings – for my successor to have some fun

That was my plan, but reality was different. No peace, just bloody wars. Here is some statistic from time of my rule:
- 10 cities conquered, 2 cities conquered twice, 2 cities conquered three times, 2 cities conquered and lost, one city destroyed after five taking over.
- 19 Howitzers lost, 17 Fighters
- Romans for example lost 20 Alpine troops, 35 Partisans, Mongols 12 Bombers, totally we have destroyed 20 Armors.

All my attempts for peace or ceasefire collapsed, so I did not write it to log.

Here is the log year by year:

Rename Suo na Way2Mongol.

1905 – Nuclear power
- Freights 220, 170, 210, 166, 128
- Conquered Hastings – 183g

1906 – conquered Bizon 91g
-Freights 79g, 124g, 88g
- Five our freights destroyed by Mongols
- Robotics

1907 – Japs destroyed – Kozuke, 93g
- Freights 155, 196, 240, 74, 336, 173

1908 – Conquered Leeds 127g, Canteburry 239g, Pompei 391g. Ceasefire with English, Romans

1909 – Horrible attacks of Romans – everywhere. Lots of casualties. Romans battleship near Ravenna. We do not have troops to defend all cities so, we went back from Pompei and Ravenna. We need some partisans too.

1910 Pompei conquered by Romans, 330g lost, Romans take Computers. NO PARTISANS !! How is it possible?

Note: We have never partisans excerpt of Vikings conquer of Coventry. Can somebody explain to me why?

- Space flight
- Ravenna lost, 75g, Romans took Rocketry.
- Big offensive of Mongols, lot of casualties – in Way2Mongols only one spy survived.
- Re-conquered Pompei 468g
- Conquered Brundiana 498g
- Bribed Izumo – a lot of Mongol’s troops inside – 1460g, 150g back.
- Freights 1028g, 472g

1911 – Mongols conquered Izumi, 70g, take Rocketry
- Conquered Hispalis 228g
- Bribed Ravena 788g, 101g back, nice troops inside
- Bribed Izumi 312g, 51 back
- Conquered Coventry – 191g, Liverpool – 132g

1912 – Romans bribed Ravenna, 35g lost, Nuclear Fission
- Laser
- Capture Rome – 228g, capital changed to Cannae
- Cannae starts Manhatten project
- conquer Warwick 167g

1913- Mongols developed Nuclear fission
- Romans conquered Pompei – 180g Space flight
- Romans changed Manhattan to Apollo
- Conquer Pompei – 285g, Neapolis 168g
- Bribed Cannae (Mongol) 1794 g,, 106 back – a lot of troops
- Freight 580g

1914 – Mongol bribed Cannae 55g, take Space fligh
- Ravenna destroyed
- Coventry bribed by Vikings – we have PARTISANS !
- Leeds conquered by Vikings 23g
- bribed Cannae (Mongol) 418g

For my successor – we need more money, more troops and more luck. I let some moves of units for you free in this year, especially spies. I would recommend to rush some howitzers – airlifts are rather safe so far. We have some freights near Tarsus for Manhattan or Apollo. I did not notice that UN is in London – we should conquered it. Peace would be nice sometime.

Top Bottom