1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Runtime error

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Confirmed Bugs' started by EL_Kondor, Nov 4, 2010.

1. EL_Kondor

EL_Kondor Chieftain

I can't load my saved games from 1st of Novemeber after the newest update from steam (which downloaded last night). Any ideas why? I can upload the saved game if needed...

edit: attached is the save game that won't load.

Attached Files:

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I guess you have the deluxe version with the babylonians?
    Something caused there somehow problems, but that should have been fixed with the last patch .621 (should...).

3. EL_Kondor

EL_Kondor Chieftain

I don't have the deluxe version, just the regular version downloaded from steam. Check the original post I added the save game...

4. Perkus

Perkus Prince

I tried that save, and it did crash with a runtime error just like you say. I've never had this happen on any other save. I'm running .621, non-deluxe. I noticed it's only 3 turns into the game. The save file size looks legit (531k).

5. Tatran

Tatran Deity

6. The_J

There are also 2 reports in the technical support...i wonder what's going on here.

7. Hitnrun

Hitnrun Chieftain

I have this problem when loading a game that used mods. ALL of the savegames make the game crash. I can save and right after that try to load this savegame, and it crashes.

8. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

I loaded El_Kondor's game and also received a runtime error. BTW, the Load Game box states the the save requires the Babylon DLC, so it appears that El_Kondor does have the Deluxe Edition (as do I). I then ran a test to see if some error was introduced by 1.0.0.621. I started a new game, played several turns and saved. I was able to load the game w/o an error.

I'll look at the other threads in case I see something.

ETA: El_Kondor, can you load any save games? What happens if you start a new game, play a few turns and save it. Can you then load this game?

9. Tatran

Tatran Deity

Is it, maybe, possible El_Kondor has bought the Babylon DLC for the regular version?
    Because I didn't get the error message like in this post :

Thread :
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=389222&page=9

10. ozbod

ozbod Chieftain

I experienced the same problem today with loading saved games. Steam updated itself overnight and must turn back on the autoupdate of patches for Civ V. My version now reads as 1.0.0.621

In playing around, I seem to be able to load Saves from pre 1.0.0.620 but none since that original update.

Is it possible to re-install and then add a patch at a time ? I don't know enough about Steam. Possibly if I could patch to 1.0.0.620 then I might be able to continue these saved games.

11. The_J

...so they screwed something between Deluxe Babylon and DLC Babylon?
    The engineering fail in this game gets everytime bigger when i look in here.

12. Petek

Good point.

@El_Kondor - Did you buy Babylon as DLC? The attached screenshot when loading your save game shows that it requires DLC, which in this case turns out to be the Babylon civ.

Attached Files:

• DLC.jpg
      DLC.jpg
      File size:
      154.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Petek

After thinking about EL_Kondor's problem, I'm more confused than usual. The first screenshot below shows what you see when clicking on the DLC in EL_Kondor's save file. It indicates that you need to have Babylon to load the game. However, it appears that both Perkus and Tatran could start loading the game before getting the runtime error. As illustrated in Tatran's screenshot, you shouldn't even be able to select the Load Game button if you don't have Babylon. Am I correct that neither Perkus nor Tatran have Babylon (either from the Deluxe Edition or purchased DLC)?

Also confusing to me is that EL_Kondor apparently doesn't have the Mongol DLC. The second screenshot below illustrates a screen similar to the first, but when loading a game that was created on my system. I have Babylon from the Deluxe Edition and the Mongols, since they were a free DLC that was pushed out to everyone via Steam, I think. If so, why doesn't EL_Kondor have the Mongols?

Attached Files:

14. Tatran

Tatran Deity

@Petek
    How did you get the info from your last 2 screenshots?

When I tried to load EL_Kondor's save, my load screen says nothing of a required DLC.

And yes, I don't have the Babylon civ.

A short comment to Ozbod's post :
    See also previous screenshot.
    Suleiman corrupt + LOTR28-250_BC were both pre 1.0.0.62
    LOTR28-1150_AD + LOTR28-1250_AD had both the 1.0.0.62 patch
    And none of the saves had loading problems.

15. Petek

@Tatran - Screenshots were made as usual. I downloaded the game file and loaded it via the Civ 5 interface. Just to make sure, I downloaded the file again, saved it with a different name. Same result. For some reason my system thinks that the save file has the Babylon DLC. I went through my other saves and found a mix of no DLC, just Babylon, just Mongolia and both (according to the display in the Load Game screen).

We have a save file that no one can open and that my system identifies as having Babylon and others don't. The file appears to have been corrupted. I'll confirm this as a bug and add it to the bug list. We can continue discussing the situation.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

16. Perkus

Perkus Prince

Yes, you are correct, I do not have Babylon. When I select that save game, I do not get a DLC indicator, and it lets me try to load it. I have tried to load other saves from this site that had the Babylon DLC indicated, and wasn't able to.

17. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

I have the same problem now, with a game that requires the Mongolian civ and 2 mods. Even on DX9 I receive a runtime error. Everything worked fine yesterday!

18. EL_Kondor

EL_Kondor Chieftain

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was away. To answer your questions: I only have the regular version of the game, I don't have Babylon or any other post released civs (no Mongols etc). The saved game I uploaded worked fine before the 621 patch, once the patch downloaded I started getting the runtime error. I started a couple of new games after that and had no runtime error issues.