1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sadly Civilization V multiplayer is 30% about your hardware and 70% of your skill

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by BlackWizard, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I don't exactly know what you mean by "level of play", but if you're talking about how many people are playing it then Civ V has been in the top 10 (usually the top 5) most played games on Steam since its release so I don't think they're really hurting on that front

2. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

i dont agree with this, its really more like 90% skill 8% connection 2% hardware. Almost always, players who are good in single player, will do good in multi in my experience.

3. Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron CP5

Single player is entirely different beast than multiplayer.

You have to think very fast if you are at war vs a strong foe in MP.

4. avl8

avl8 Prince

Actually you can go play GMR and it completely solves any issues with your "slow" hardware.

5. rpg5414

rpg5414 Chieftain

Connection doesn't seem to be the problem, sometimes it happens even when i'm host. I do have all the graphic settings maxed out but that doesn't even bring my CPU, GPU, or RAM to 50% load and I would imagine that all of the graphics stuff is handled locally by each player's machine?

6. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

Contrary to popular belief, being host does not help you get first move. I would turn down your settings a bit if I were you. If your CPU is at 50% and the other guy's CPU is only at 20% then his computer is going to process quicker than you. I would find a happy medium where the game still looks good and you are not getting horribly out clicked.

7. Snipes

Snipes Chieftain

Why would hardware matter more than ping? Just because you have a fast computer doesn't mean your internet connection sends the command to the host faster than the other guy's.

8. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

We have already ruled out his internet connection through process of elimination. He claims that his internet connection is fine so we are only left with certain possibilities. You are jumping into the conversation at the very end.

Internet connection was the first thing considered.

9. rpg5414

rpg5414 Chieftain

Thanks for jumping in. I'll try playing my next MP game on lower settings and report back.

10. Arcaian

Arcaian Warlord

What's wrong with Hybrid guys? Don't play much MP, but haven't seen problems with it?

11. rpg5414

rpg5414 Chieftain

It's actually fantastic conceptually. It just takes absolutely forever to play a game. Even in a duel it adds a significant amount of time. Just imagine a bigger game where someone is almost always in a war. These games take a long time as is on simultaneous.

12. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

Waiting 45 minutes to take your turn is not fun. That's what's wrong with Hybrid. It's absolutely horrible in anything aside from a duel.

13. Arrowstorm

Arrowstorm Chieftain

How are they supposed to fix this in a way that won't add extra time like hybrid does? There's really nothing to do.

14. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

They could make it so that the game gives first move to a different player each turn. They could even make it so that unit movements are staggered when at war with some one. Basically if you move/fire with a unit, you can't move/fire with another one until your opponent uses one of their own.

Let's say the game does this for the first 1 minute of every turn. After that you can do whatever you want to prevent people from stalling out unit movements by not moving at all.

15. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

Steam stats don't differentiate SP or MP, believe me Civ5 never got even 40% of the MP player base that Civ3 or Civ4 had during there peak. And without a lot of MP players you don't get Clans, no Clans and the level of team games doesn't happen, then no large Clan competitions...etc. etc. For MP Civ5 is a failure, and our only goal is to try and keep the MP community somewhat healthy on FFA's until Civ6 hopefully comes out in 2015....maybe. CivBE will be successful in it''s own right I'm sure, but it is not a true Civ game.

CS

16. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

It's an issue that simply doesn't exist for me. Hybrid mode makes some problems in the 1st turn of war but later on, turns are sequential and if player are not utter slowpokes, the game is 100% good. Also, players not taking part in wars still play in simultaneous mode.

I admit that this could be an issue for for a 16-player game on a huge map but with 6 human players on a standard map, the problem is purely imaginary for me. After all, this is a turn-based game. I'd only wish interface worked during opponent's turn and wasn't frozen. This is annoying.

PS. Quick combat in multiplayer games is a must. A MUST!

17. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

Hybrid is absolutely horrible in multiplayer. The only people who try to use hybrid are complete noobs who haven't figured that out yet. This is what happens when noobs play multiplayer for the first time:
    Stage1: Get owned in Simultaneous turns and cry that it should be a turn based game.
    Stage2: Host games in hybrid.
    Stage3: Realize that hybrid is garbage and turn lengths that are 3 - 6 times longer suck.
    Stage4: Play Simultaneous some more and get owned for a while.
    Stage5: Get used to simultaneous turns and do well in it.
    Stage6: Own noobs at simultaneous and cause them to cry about it.
    Stage7: Actually get good at the game and realize simu turns was not the problem, they just sucked horribly and had half their opponents units every battle.