Saturday's PAX talk

Wish I could see the broadcast tomorrow, but odds are I will be doing after church service material. It is Easter after all.

Yeah, I suspect Easter Dinner will be about that point for me. They'll probably post it online, though.

Regarding the Carthagian elephant, I've just been told and discovered that it's neither the familiar African savanna elephant nor "African forest elephant" (which lives in the Congo basin, and is a separate species from other elephants), but "North African elephant", also called "North African forest elephant", a species or subspecies which has become extinct long ago.

The savannah elephant species has never been completely tamed by human.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_African_Elephant

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_forest_elephant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_bush_elephant

It's times like this when I value being an Atheist on the other side of the world. Convinent time and no religious obligations

Well, I'm an atheist and celebrate easter, christmas etc.

So, not much new info from saturday.

The extra Spy from one civilization was removed.
Interesting. So they re-re-tweaked England :p
Carthage elephants (their UU) can walk on mountains... it looks pretty funny with a giant elephant on top of the giant mountain.
Ah, it's only the UU that can walk on mountains? That changes things a bit.
There were a few other minor things that he mentioned; including "that's coming in the DLC" to one of my questions.
Do you remember what question that was?

Nonetheless that's great news, more DLC is always good news! :)

For those who missed my post at the other place:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before (since I've been busy at PAX East), but I talked with one of the producers who was running the Civ 5 G&K demo. The female producer who was presenting didn't really have any clue to the answer to my questions.

He told me that cities with religion influence other cities within a 10 hex radius. This influence is the same through the 10 hexes (thus being directly next to them is the same as 9 hexes away). However, multiple cities can have their influence stack on top of each other to influence it more so.

The extra Spy from one civilization was removed.

The Ethopian special ability is that they get a 20% defensive bonus against "larger civs," defined as "civilization with more cities than you." Their special unit also gets a bonus when near your capital (or city or something, I forget).

The Huns are similar to other civilizations in the sense that they have a unique ability and 2 special units. However, their cities (besides their capital) get the names of other civilization cities. That's classified as one of their unique abilities. They also raise cities twice as fast or something.

Carthage elephants (their UU) can walk on mountains... it looks pretty funny with a giant elephant on top of the giant mountain.

There were a few other minor things that he mentioned; including "that's coming in the DLC" to one of my questions. Had a long night and was bar hopping with the guys from Riot Games, so I'm a little out of it. Maybe it will come back to me tomorrow.

So would someone like to make a new topic for today's talks and come up with agreed upon questions to ask them? Just a thought. :)

Also, I'm loving all of this. But I want to know when we will actually SEE these civs. Maybe they'll be doing a "video-per-civ-per-week"? Since it'll be nine weekends (not actually sure?) until the release, and there are nine civs.

So would someone like to make a new topic for today's talks and come up with agreed upon questions to ask them? Just a thought. :)

Also, I'm loving all of this. But I want to know when we will actually SEE these civs. Maybe they'll be doing a "video-per-civ-per-week"? Since it'll be nine weekends (not actually sure?) until the release, and there are nine civs.

I think there's already a Sunday topic posted.

Didn't see that.. Lol

We have been coming up with several questions, not based on any certain topic, just a drive to get information.

So don't get your hopes up to high (if you were expecting source code).

I wasn't, never has. The "ModBuddy" structural assets were already designed as a space-holder for procedural functions; all i've been asking (to devs, for more than a year!) is a clear set of HOOKS feature call to specific key_components (addressable UI+Menu tags & some runtime memory stack, even if only partial btw).

When we use the term DLL or source-code, the modding community actually means formatting capacities of pre-integrated routines along side their actual but still declared parameters.
Compiled core "referencing" needs permission-like level of access to **identifiable** declarations - so to speak. LUA precision requires transitional context just as much, sort of.

It's very easy to crash such a complex assembly - much tougher to match unknown requirements through MOD. I've stated it before and i will again; trial & error design delays production unnecessarily (and did, for more than just LeoPaRd - in fact!).

Definitely.

But we simply don't have enough information about this. Other sources state, that mountain climbing is a general ability (with loosing 50% health when ending a turn on a mountain).

We have the info. Today's vid showed the start screen for Carthage.
They get free harbors in every coastal city, and once you have your first Great General all units can cross mountains but lose 50hp if they end their turn on a mountain tile.

Top Bottom