Saturn Embassy

come up with one of G_W's Haiku's?

Or just state we redirected a worker in celebration of our new friendship to capture elelphants in the jungle. We look forward to sending over the first shipment of ivory should you wish to lavish your leaders.

The Haikus aren't that difficult; I ramble enough as it is.

I'm not sure if I should be adding anything else to the body of the text though.

let's send it off.

Myabe put a small disclaimer in there that G_W is away? (so if anything goes south, not that i predict it wil) but if it does then he can recover.

How's the second version then?

Spoiler :
Namaste Saturn,

We would like to thank you for the swift delivery of alphabet, research into currency has been started.

On a slightly tangential matter, we will have a spare ivory hooked up by the end of turn 94, which we can gift to you if you are in need of happy resource. We feel that sharing resource between ourselves is a natural progression from free tech trading; we have several spare resources that we could trade with you, but unfortunately ivory are the only happy resource we can share until we get calendar.

Our minister of diplomacy is currently on holiday, so when he returns sometime in the next 24 hours he can discuss our alliance in more detail with you in chat if you would like, or we could continue to just drafting a treaty.

Krill, Daimyo of Interior, SANCTA

Gifts from a far shore
shapes of a distant nation
with cordiality

Sent! :salute:

Nice work here! :clap:

As soon as I get a real break, I'll draft up a formal version of that treaty and package it with a nice fluffy letter and we'll get it out the door.

This Alliance with Saturn is an exceptionally positive development! :dance:

Here’s my proposal for rapid release to Saturn. The sooner the better!

Namaste Lord Parkin.
The Ninja’s salute the Mighty Saturn Empire!

We’re thrilled to be on the cusp of greatness with your people and believe that together we are going to achieve mighty things.

Sorry I was out of the loop when we made first contact. Daimyo Krill has brought me fully up to speed, and I’ll be your primary contact from now on. Looks like things are already going really well – so hopefully I can do as good of a job as Krill! :)

We agree whole-heartedly with your suggestions on an alliance, and have taken the liberty of codifying them into a formal document (attached).
We’re also including the text here to make it easier for you to edit if you’d like to suggest any changes, additions, or improvements – please do! This isn’t necessarily intended as a final draft, so please don’t hesitate to edit if you want.

Spoiler Raw Text :

The PASS​
Permanent Alliance of Saturn-SANCTA
Draft

An agreement between Saturn (Persia) and SANCTA (the Netherlands).
Whereby it is recognized that the thee-way alliance of foreign powers is poised to run away with this game if they are not stopped.

Whereby it is recognized that it is in our mutual self interest to fully cooperate until we are the only two remaining powers in the game.

Article 1: Non-Aggression
It is hereby agreed that we will not attack each other or provide aid, in any form, to anyone fighting any member of the alliance.​

Article 2: Exclusivity
It is hereby agreed that we will not trade or gift technology, offer financial aid or information about alliance plans, or provide military support in any form to non-members of the Alliance. Exceptions to this can be made only by express mutual agreement. (Saturn’s current Math for Feudalism deal is also exempted)
It is furthermore agreed that we will offer each other first choice on any resource trades. Only if the other member of the alliance is uninterested or unable to make a reasonable trade for a resource, will we then seek to trade outside of the alliance.

Article 3: Defense
It is hereby agreed that if either member of the alliance comes under direct military attack by an enemy power and the other alliance member is NOT under direct (or imminently direct) attack - the Alliance member who is not under attack will provide significant material and/or financial aid as quickly as they are able.

This defense provision does NOT apply to offensive wars started by a member of the Alliance for purposes of conquest. (Pre-emptive attacks against an invading force are allowed and still count as defense).

Article 4: Technology Cooperation
It is hereby agreed that we will cooperate on technology in a generous fashion with eachother.
It is hereby agreed that we will pursue rapid technological advance in good faith – and not attempt to abuse the alliance.
(ie - No member of the Alliance shall stockpile gold at a rate greater than is reasonably necessary for general strategic concerns.)
It is hereby agreed that we will openly and forthrightly share research plans to avoid any duplication of effort and ensure rapid progress.
It is hereby agreed that all technology shall be shared openly, upon request, without regard to beaker value, with eachother.​

Article 5: Sharing of Information
It is agreed that information gained from rival teams, eg from chats, emails, and demographics, shall be shared freely between Saturn and SANCTA, and this sharing shall be kept confidential from rival teams.
(ie - if a rival team comments on their technological aims, this information will be shared with both Saturn and SANCTA)

Article 6: End of the Alliance
This alliance will end when Saturn and SANCTA are the only two remaining teams in the game, or upon express mutual agreement to terminate the alliance.
It is hereby agreed that the non-aggression (article 1) part of this alliance will remain in-force for a minimum of 10 turns after the last foreign power is eliminated from the game (either by destruction or capitulation).​

It’s big! And there’s a lot in there – but we tried to avoid anything that sounded too “lawyerly” – any deal is only as good as the good-faith of the people that sign it… so we were just trying to get the main ideas down on paper – so that there’s no confusion about what the expectations of the alliance are.

We fully expect to have unforeseen circumstances arise where we’ll need to be generous with you beyond what the treaty mandates, and we’re eager to show our good will in those situations. We trust you feel the same – but no matter what, at least a formal alliance treaty will give us a baseline to work from.

Finally – though it’s not expressly addressed in the formal treaty, we want to be clear that we are open to the idea of including the Mad Scientists at some point in our alliance. Whether that’s as junior partners, full members, or just “most-favored nation trading status” or something – we’ll have to see. Again – we think it’s best to solidify our relationship first… then we can examine what will work best for the Alliance regarding the other teams. Hopefully you agree with all that?

Looking forward to getting your comments / revisions / or signature!

To a glorious future :beer:

General_W, Daimyo of State

Glorious sunrise
Victory the horizon
Breaking dawn ally

Thoughts?

And, of course, I’ll be attaching a full jpeg of the treaty to the email.

Attachments

• PASS_SaturnSANCTA-Alliance.jpg
    PASS_SaturnSANCTA-Alliance.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 56
send it yesterday.

because we also need CoL in 2 turns or less!

So maybe as a side note mention that (or does it cloud the water) and say we can jsut trade MC for CoL in game

I'm all for sending it with alacrity. Just one question...how do you value resources? It seems awkward and potentially a way to game the alliance if they're not shared freely.

Maybe saying if the alliance feels trading it is the better interest of both team and we share the proceeds. This could potentially lead to misinformation by trading with others. Gotta keep the others guessing especially with a trade to MS.

yeah, share resources freely, when one team requests them. If we reworded that clause to "Only if the other member of the alliance is uninterested or unable to make a reasonable trade for a resource, will we then seek to trade outside of the alliance."

Saturn would much prefer that, I think, considering they have 4 resources hooked up, and we have 12, and rapidly increasing. We'd probably prefer it simply for the ease in which it makes it possible to sell resources if we deem it wise as Whomp said above.

EDIT: And fyi, I have saved the above letter as a draft in the gmail account.

Sent :salute: to Saturn at the request of Memphus.

Lord Parking was online, and with thier turn comming up we needed to get this to them.

G_W I know you are still sleeping for a couple of hours ;) then have a MTDG game to play :cool:

:sleep: .... * pop .... :coffee: .... oh!

Thanks guys.
:D

Incase anyone missed it in the turn update thread (although if you were a lurker that should be the most important thread you read...)

In any event:

We Trade MC for CoL and Archery to Saturn
I declined (in game in talking DMOC) for Monarchy as we don't need it right now and strategically didn't want to appar greedy.

also for resource trades:
Wheat and Fish for Crabs.
They also mentioned the found (aka by working a mine) silver last turn, so they will have it to send to us sooner. (Nice but not imperative for us given our plans)
I also told them that we will have ivory for them in the next couple of turns.

So yeah that was the interturn diplomacy.

:agree:

Without this alliance, I'd put our odds of winning at around 8% - if it weren't for Krill and Memphus I'd say 0.1%
With it... I'm feeling VERY optimistic... 95% confident.
So yeah... this alliance is worth a non-scientific 87% improval in our odds. :lol: :dance:

Meh. I just want someone to finance our teching. That's the next point on the agenda after Saturn send us an acceptance for the treaty; getting them to send us most of their gold per turn in exchange for not having to build libraries.

Top Bottom