Saw Civ 6 Preview today.. Got SimCity reboot Fears

Status
Not open for further replies.

ackadacka

Chieftain
From the looks of the game and from what has been mentioned battles are done via scenarios now and the maps are tiny...

I have this creeping sense of dread that we are going to get tiny maps linked via scenarios and no more huge sprawling world size topography..It already looks like a mobile phone RTS game..

I'm scared somebody hold me..

Your fears are likely unfounded. The game has been confirmed as being 64bit. With that one bit of information we know that we can have the same HUGE maps from Civ 5 without the memory wall and it is <likely> that we will get larger maps than the largest in Civ 5 ...AND.... with our awesome modding community, it is also likely to see returns of even larger maps like Perfect World which will not be able to be seen using awesome DX12 interfaces.

So, relax ..here..have a hug..

I don't know where you get the idea that maps are tiny. The 60-turn demonstrations were done on a small map, for what should be obvious reasons.

The other major problem with SimCity reboot was forced multiplayer. I can't imagine that's something Firaxis would try. This isn't EA.

I haven't seen that mentionned anywhere

I took that away from the polygon hands on review in which he said maps feel much smaller and he as playing a 3v3 pre scripted event in which he said AI's now are prescripted to react in certain ways.

Scenarios are pretty standard with a Civ release, but did not touch the main game.

Where on earth did you get that battles would be done in scenarios? I think you are referring to where they said they are doing shorter games for multiplayer.

You even see a battle done in the footage... did you play too much endless legend or what? :p

I took that away from the polygon hands on review in which he said maps feel much smaller and he as playing a 3v3 pre scripted event in which he said AI's now are prescripted to react in certain ways.

I think you might be misunderstanding the preview. For purposes of a demo, the previewer was probably given a saved game to play which happened to be small map with 3 AIs. But civ6 will still offer a standard game where you pick the number of civs, the size and type of map, ranging from small to huge, just like civ5.

Also, from the gameplay, we see that all the units and cities are on a main map and battles work just like civ5. There are no tactical battle maps.

There will be a multiplayer mode that offers shorter games. We don't know yet how those will work, whether they will be scenarios or maybe games where you start in the industrial era. But those are multiplayer games which are separate from the standard single player games.

The scripted AI simply refers to the "agendas" that the AI will have in diplomacy where some AIs might like warmongers and others might like wonder builders. It does not mean that all games will simply be small matches against the same AI.

Your fears are likely unfounded. The game has been confirmed as being 64bit. With that one bit of information we know that we can have the same HUGE maps from Civ 5 without the memory wall and it is <likely> that we will get larger maps than the largest in Civ 5 ...AND.... with our awesome modding community, it is also likely to see returns of even larger maps like Perfect World which will not be able to be seen using awesome DX12 interfaces.

The game has been confirmed as being 64 bit. It has?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a 3v3 map. Everyone at the preview event got the same map to play, and they said they faced three AI opponents alone, just like classic Civ. To my knowledge, there were no teams.

Wait, hugs have been confirmed?!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a 3v3 map. Everyone at the preview event got the same map to play, and they said they faced three AI opponents alone, just like classic Civ. To my knowledge, there were no teams.

Wait, hugs have been confirmed?!

It's the sesame Street version. Not the mature man hug you may want.

From the looks of the game and from what has been mentioned battles are done via scenarios now and the maps are tiny...

I have this creeping sense of dread that we are going to get tiny maps linked via scenarios and no more huge sprawling world size topography..It already looks like a mobile phone RTS game..

I'm scared somebody hold me..
No idea how you arrived at that conclusion. It already looks like there's a lot of depth in the system and I literally see no reason for why they'd make the maps smaller.

Heh, they just gave the journalists a small map to play on so they wouldn't discover all the civilizations in the game within an hour. For the purposes of this demo, they probably restricted lots of things. I mean, the game isn't even done yet. There's no reason to assume any features we've grown accustomed to, will be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom