1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[SCENARIO + MOD] The Cold War (TCW:SF&B)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by jlocke, May 22, 2006.

1. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

I think this is because right now, the old fighters get 70% intercept, and for some reason the f-18 and f-16 get only 30%. So this can probably be fixed by adjusting that and cost, also putting them on an upgrade path with f-15.
    Thanks for noticing that bug.
    (still trying to stop the AI from researching techs of the other bloc, since you can't build a lot of the new units without the right religion.)

Also, about the lag. I think it comes from some of the new units. I'm not sure which ones have the highest poly-counts, but if anyone could check that out, I could get rid of the most laggish units. (because they are making the viewing lag, not the turn times)

2. chaz1356

chaz1356 Warlord

I have downloaded this scenario like 3 times but i cant figure out how to actually play it. I click on the advanced options to switch formats to TCW but no where in the actual mod does it give me the actual scenario. Please some help would be grateful.:confused:

3. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

Be sure to put the mod in mods and to move the map to public maps. Also i found trying to unzip these mods with anything but winrar screws it up.

4. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

I played as the US for my first time... I went to war with Cuba, China, and Iran, yet the USSR didn't join in against me... :) I eventually went to war with Vietnam to protect my newly acquired Hong Kong and discovered they were fighting back with Longbowman and the few guerilla and revolutionary units with super power ups. Then, I cruised to a UN Election victory in 1964, even when Breschnev and Nasser had more votes combined than I did... Shouldn't UN elections victories be harder?

5. jbk

jbk Chieftain

Love the scenario/ mod- great work.

For some reason, my game is consistantly crashing in august 1963 while playing as the US. In another game, I've played as Israel into 1966. I cant figure out why. Any ideas?

Thanks.

6. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

i cant build icbm's of any sort, how can i fix this? i have the technology and rescources.,,,

7. Hardner

Hardner Emperor

This is truly the best scenario so far on CFC!! But just because Paasky somehow dumped his WWII scenario;)
    Anyways the map looks strange but it is the best and fastest huge map I ever played on! I played a while last night and here's my summary so far: It is late '62 and the world war just starts. Alliances have been made: Nato(me)/Great Britain; USA/Saudi-Arabia, China/Vietnam, Iran/India, the rest is still on its own. After my intial attack and 1 turn conquest on France now I'm at war with USA/Saudi-Arabia, now I gotta convince the still resting russian bear to join the war against USA or I should force a peace treaty with them to concentrate on my planned conquests in Isreal and Egypt. It's so much fun to change history, harharhar! Really great work Jlocke!!:goodjob:

8. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

The scenario certainly is good. If your computer were not so slow (But I'm sure you really can't do anything about it) It'd be nice if you were to add a few more civs. So it'd be like:

Playable Nations:
    1 USA
    2 USSR
    3 NATO
    4 Great Britain
    5 France
    6 United Arab Republic (Egypt+Syria)
    7 Israel
    8 Saudi Arabia
    9 India
    10 China
    11 Iran
    12 Vietnam
    13 Cuba
    14 Yugoslavia
    15 Mexico
    16 Colombia
    17 North Korea
    18 South Korea

Or something like that. :p

9. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

I don't think Yugoslavia shouldn't be in the game. They get three tiles (all cities), and are in the way...

10. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

NEW FOR 0.7 (5/30 Update)
    -synthetic oil and settler now more expensive
    -space project parts more expensive, life support now needs Future Tech (superpowers seem to get to Future_Tech in 80s)
    -ICBM for subs seems to still not work
    -Great People rate even lower, research and growth rates a bit lower
    -renamed Vienna to Munich, and Vladivastok to Kamchatka, Prague to Praha.
    -removed bug of NATO having Bolshevism tech.
    -changed Bunkers from 75% to 50% air defense.
    -Changed some interception probabilities.
    -Removed Western Sahara rebels and strengthened Algerian rebels
    -Got rid of Mech Inf transport ability and lowered their combat strength (they were stronger than tanks)
    -More fish around England
    -attempted tech tree coordinate changing
    -Anti-Air no longer can attack
    -limit one settler at a time
    -A-10 gets bonus vs. tanks
    -added hints

they are quite difficult to play as, but a good player can get them to make a permanent alliance with a great power.
    The reason I included them is because I wanted the 3 major Non-Aligned state actors (India, UAR and Yugoslavia) to function as a kind of wild card. Without economic assistance from the West, they often turn to the Soviet bloc for assistance and technology.
    The fact that they get in the way for NATO is no accident. Also, they are the only country which starts without a state ideology, so, like India (though not to such an important extent) their trade relations and mood can determine the diplomatic winner in a close game.
    Also, I recommend changing the difficulty to be easier or harder based on the starting strength of your nation, so if you are Yugoslavia, you might want to turn the difficulty down.

11. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

Originally I had mexico and canada, but I wanted it to be more even with the Communists vs. Capitalists in population and points. As it stands, N.Korea and S.Korea were effectively economically and militarily vassals of China and USA respectively. *some Koreans might be upset about this* but it was the same deal with Taiwan, the US deterrance and defensive pact system effectively made it a part of their "Empire"

I get your point though. Perhaps in next version I will make one with the larger version of the map and full 18 civs

12. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

Sorry but this has never happened for me... I recommend going back to most recent autosave, loading that, then saving it in a new file, if that doesn't work, maybe saving it in the worldbuilder might help.

13. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

I've been tweaking this back and forth... I think it is at 64% right now, originally it was 66% but that didn't seem to be happening.
    Essentially, its like winning the domination victory without needing large land area, but it requires strategic diplomacy. Again, India is key to any diplomatic victory, and I balanced their diplomatic feelings a bit more in latest release.
    However, peoples responses seem to indicate that world wars are occuring earlier, so probably raising it would be better. I don't know what you mean that Breschnev and Nasser had more votes, individually maybe, but its the whole world's population that gets to vote.

And I don't know why the vietnamese are building longbowman, I've been trying to stop that. And yes, the VietCong and some Barbarians have superpowerups to hold out for longer against superior odds.

14. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

r u guys getting icbms? cause im not!! btw im upto 1967 as the uSSR with a massive army (i had to increase the units costs cause it was gettign silly everyone was having armeis of 6 million each) and still smooth! best performance i have ever seen in civ.

15. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

this is a good idea... did you do it through the civics or through the gamespeed.xml?
    (Communism gives a unit support benefit)

As for ICBMS, I am able to get normal ICBMs but not ICBMS for Subs...
    Try the new version and see if you still can't build normall ICBMS, (providing you have uranium)

16. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

yes, this is bug in my mod and i HAVE NO IDEA why it's not able to be build !!!

17. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

Same with me regarded ICBMs and any other available nuclear weapons.

18. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

I can make ICBMs now, so scratch that. However, I was preparing for war against Breschnev and Nasser when I noticed Israel didn't seem to have a capital anymore. I contacted them as to see what cities that could trade, so I could determine which city was their capital. Israel had no cities under it... Is city trading turned off? And, am I the only one experiencing this?

19. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

units in xml.

Is there limit on how many icbm's one can build?

20. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

10, I believe.