Screenshot analysis!

This thread has 180 posts all dated 5/11. Lots of people care about the Civ franchise.

Which is why I'm hopeful that some constructive criticism from longtime fans may encourage Firaxis to make some alterations in the graphics between now and release. It's a long shot, admittedly, but one I'd very much like to see. It need not be extensive, just a bit of tweaking to look more realistic and less fantastical.

Which is why I'm hopeful that some constructive criticism from longtime fans may encourage Firaxis to make some alterations in the graphics between now and release. It's a long shot, admittedly, but one I'd very much like to see. It need not be extensive, just a bit of tweaking to look more realistic and less fantastical.

Honestly all they'd have to do is drop the saturation and add atmospheric stuff (which there may well be already, all of these screens are zoomed quite close). They're still months away from release, there's no chance this will be final graphics

Make a different topic for reactions to graphics, I'm here to analyze the screenshots! :mad:

In those units Arioch posted the Egypt's swordsman seems to have brown skintone, maybe units have more ethnic looks or it's the same swordman for each empire.

Honestly all they'd have to do is drop the saturation and add atmospheric stuff (which there may well be already, all of these screens are zoomed quite close). They're still months away from release, there's no chance this will be final graphics
Plus, if it's as moddable as Civ4 (and 5 to some extent), we'll get a new Blue Marble mod eventually. :)

I really like the detail and models but highly dislike the texture work and colour scheme... thankfully, the latter is easier to change. If the gameplay is good, I'm quite happy to mod the graphics to suit my taste myself.

But part of exposing a game to the public is customer feedback and with XCOM2 they've shown they're very much listening, so making your opinion known now is part of the process - though the "looks like mobile, will have microtransactions" is not helpful criticism.

Made a separate thread about graphics. I believe it's better to leave this thread for screenshot analysis.

Looking at the 1st screenshot, in the center right just east of the city, there appears to be an early level mine. In the 2nd screenshot we see another mine in the lower right also east of the city. This second one appears to have visible metal on the surface (Silver possibly?) and a second structure to the tile on the far right. And in the the 3rd we see two. One 2 tiles northwest of the lower city right next to a river that seems to have copper ore and yet another on the top right corner, just northwest of the upper mountain city. This one looks like its at a later stage than the mine in S1 (screenshot 1). So its likely that mines have stages to them like the Shrine/Spiritual/Holy? Districts in S1.

In S3 (screenshot 3) we see a lumber mill 2 tiles east of the city.

Perhaps both mines and lumber mills are both "production" districts, but both have different buildings associated with them?

------------------

Some other random observations:

S1 - Jungle tiles in the upper left side of the image. Along with what appears to be a swamp. I believe this was already pointed out.

S1 - Also in the upper left corner on top of what looks like another swamp tile that has some form of animal on it. I can't tell if its sheep or pigs or whatever the heck it is.

S1 - Potential wonder or some form of holy site at the north border by the mountains.

------------------

S2 - Deer or other cervine animal NW of the blue/white borders.

S2 - BANANAS!

S2 - I'm guessing the metal in the mine is Silver?

------------------

S3 - Horses!

S3 - Directly north of the lower city across the river at the border of the Japanese (I'm assuming) territory there's a whole bunch of flowers that seem out of place. A resource possibly?

S3 - A reef tile? just between the docks and the lighthouse of the lower city.

S3 - There is an orange hued metal on both the left and right sides of this image, I'm assuming its copper?

------------------

General - The water seems be be closer to the BERT style of water compared to Civ V, which makes me happy, because that was really nice water.

General - It appears that they are using the border colors that correspond to their Civ V itterations. Egyptian: Purple/Yellow. Japanese: White/Red. Makes me wonder what that Blue/White civ in S2 is... I can't pin down the architectural style.

Looking at the 1st screenshot, in the center right just east of the city, there appears to be an early level mine. In the 2nd screenshot we see another mine in the lower right also east of the city. This second one appears to have visible metal on the surface (Silver possibly?) and a second structure to the tile on the far right. And in the the 3rd we see two. One 2 tiles northwest of the lower city right next to a river that seems to have copper ore and yet another on the top right corner, just northwest of the upper mountain city. This one looks like its at a later stage than the mine in S1 (screenshot 1). So its likely that mines have stages to them like the Shrine/Spiritual/Holy? Districts in S1.

As far as we know, there are still regular improvements built with Workers, so mines, lumber mills, etc. aren't districts.

Mine appearance could vary on:
- Epoch.
- Culture.
- Resource.
- Just random variations.

Too early to tell.

It's difficult to analyze the city structures at this point, as it's not entirely clear how districts, buildings, wonders and improvements interact. The City Center is relatively easy to identify, as are the Wonders, and the Culture (pink) and Campus (blue) and Military Camp (red) districts seem pretty straightforward, containing individual buildings. But some of the structures like farms or mines or lumber mills or plantations or fishing boats just look like regular improvements, and not necessarily part of a district.

In those units Arioch posted the Egypt's swordsman seems to have brown skintone, maybe units have more ethnic looks or it's the same swordman for each empire.
That would certainly be nice, and the screenshot does seem to suggest it.

Well based on the various gaming articles, we know that districts "house" or at least facilitate the access to buildings.

I'm just pointing things out and trying to find if there is a line or some other form of distinction that we can identify.

Here's a bit more information that may help us in this regard

IGN

If you’re on the coast, obviously you’re going to want to build a harbor. But these take up tiles, so eventually you also have to think about feeding your people. You have to make sure you can still build farms and mines, and wonders take up whole tiles as well. You can’t have everything everywhere.

So Harbors will take up tiles, as do Farms, Mines, and Wonders. So they are likely not going to be districts. We don't have any other info on Lumber Mills.

Civ VI Looks like halfway between Endless Legend full-on district based developments and CiV tile improvements.

Civ VI Looks like halfway between Endless Legend full-on district based developments and CiV tile improvements.

More like the best of 2 worlds.

I found the 'realistic' graphics of Civ5 made them a bit too dark and hard to tell terrain with lots of units apart. Visually, large armies sort of blurred together unless you fiddled with a lot of settings. Brighter, more vivid colors sounds nice.

...or you could buy a better monitor.

Mobile graphics to appeal to the masses. Just like League of Legends did with their new (AWFUL) summoner's rift map graphics. I'm getting tired of this. I've actually looked for Civ-like games for my phone to play during slow time at work. I saw that Civ. Rev. game... sooo cartoony. I couldn't. I won't.

I wanted Civ 6, not Civ for 6 year olds.

At least I still have Civ 5 to play.

I dont fully understand the outrage about the graphics.

As stated before this is early gameplay screenshot

And I would like the mention the best aspect of any civ game is the Mod Community. I would assume in the 1st weeks of release there will be a graphic mod.

Ok, seriously, I believe you are right. But should I be happy about grown up looking terrains if a childish looking Cleopatra looks at me in Diplo screen?

Ok, seriously, I believe you are right. But should I be happy about grown up looking terrains if a childish looking Cleopatra looks at me in Diplo screen?

Amen.

I was thinking the same thing (modders fixing the graphics) but there are some parts I think might be hard to get rid of.

Cmon we haven't Seen any Leader yet, and do you remember how they looked like in civ3?

Moderator Action: If you'd like to discuss the graphical style seen in the screenshots, please do so in this thread. Please keep this thread for analysis of the content of the screenshots, rather than discussion of the merits of the graphical style.

Top Bottom