1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot analysis!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, May 11, 2016.

1. MIS

MIS Prince

Wondering if the district idea will require pushing culture in new cities (so you've got somewhere to put the buildings). Obviously I'm assuming local culture ---> borders, like in CiV

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Units in the first three screenshots (names are obviously speculative):

Archer

Horseman

Swordsman

Samurai

Crossbowman

Pikeman

Trireme

Caravel

Frigate

Note: it appears to have 4 masts, but I think this is a glitch, with two sets of masts pointing in opposite directions superimposed on each other.

Fishing Boats

Note: probably an improvement, but presumably also a unit at some stage.

Missionary

3. Dale

Dale Deity

I'm going to go the other way. I hope they have a decent low poly graphic capability with no animations. Like music, after you sit and watch a unit attach a couple of times, it's just a waste of time.

So I'd like to have a low quality version with no animations, but a much bigger map.

4. Hajee

Hajee Prince

I dont fully understand the outrage about the graphics.

As stated before this is early gameplay screenshot

And I would like the mention the best aspect of any civ game is the Mod Community. I would assume in the 1st weeks of release there will be a graphic mod.

5. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

The small boats could be embarked units(more likely) or workboats.

6. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I think this is the old guard reacting badly. Some players really liked the Civ5 realism aesthetic. This seems to be more of a return to the Civ4 whimsical aesthetic.

I've heard comments like
    'it looks like a mobile game'
    'just like those mobile war game commercials' etc.

As someone else has already done in this very thread, all they need is to add depth of field, some more atmospheric effects and pretty up the models and it will look appropriate.

I'm not too disturbed by the graphic style, it's acceptable to me. I assume we'll be going back to realistic in Civ 7.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I don't see much "outrage"... most people like me are just saying that they aren't liking what they see. Don't blow it out of proportion.

Could be embarked units, but they happen to be on top of fish. :D

8. Hajee

Hajee Prince

That very true, and they could still be tweak the lighting and the depth. we have what 5 months to release.

E3 next month should be a good judge on the graphics and ui, as we should see some demo then

9. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Workers maybe? Perhaps workboats did bite the dust.

10. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

probably people has already mentioned but I like that there are coastal cliffs now, I always found it really boring that coast was all the same in civ. The cliffs could make it so you can actually look for a good defensive harbor for coastal cities.

11. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

Speaking for myself (not an old guard member, by the way; came in post-GnK Civ V), I really, really dislike the cartoony graphics (because I'd argue they do look like some sort of stupid mobile game), but can easily tolerate them provided it's possible to mod them to look semi-realistic (as some people have done for the screenshots). My only concern is that that'll be extremely difficult to do, thus meaning everyone's stuck with the "whimsical" aesthetic (not in and of itself a bad thing, but also far from everyone's cup of tea).

Of course, it's still early days yet and there's no guarantee that these are the final graphics, so we're probably all wigging out about 'em unnecessarily.

12. Dale

Dale Deity

The screenshots supplied show a style much closer to CivRev2 than to Civ4. That's why some people don't like it. It "looks" to them like a mobile game.

See spoiler to see what I mean.
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

13. Arry

Arry Chieftain

Has anyone mentioned this? There's no workers seen in the screenshots...

14. moopoo

moopoo King

I remember trying to mod it into civ 4 back in the day and crashing the game :lol:

15. StittsvileJamie

StittsvileJamie Chieftain

I don't mind the artstyle. The aesthetic will likely be the same at launch, but the actual models and stuff I'm sure will look much different. The borders will likely be smoothed out too.

The other thing to keep in mind is this is super zoomed in. I think it will look much better once it's zoomed out to a reasonable level to see more than 8 tiles on the screen at once!

And like others have said numerous times, it's about the gameplay. Do that part right, and even the most ardent dissenters will be silenced.

16. moopoo

moopoo King

Looking at your screens there, and bearing in mind we haven't seen user interface yet, I feel like it's closer to civ 4 than civ rev 2. The mountain and forest tiles in particular show greater detail in cIV and CiVI than civ rev.

17. Canabrava

Canabrava Prince

I agree.

I think is better be a huge map with a lot of civs and fast turns than very beautifull and slow engine. Sometimes, huges maps on late eras are so boring.

18. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I've got to say, I don't mind the somewhat cartoony art style. It mostly looks nice enough to me and if it makes the game easier to play, that's great. The archers look especially good. However, those swordsmen just look awful! What on earth is going on with those swords?

19. m15a

m15a Emperor

This was probably mentioned somewhere in the last 9 pages, but at least we know that the colors in the tiles aren't just for looks: "...Firaxis has created the concept of 12 different types of color-coded Districts..." - IGN.

Outrage is maybe an exaggeration, but there are definitely people on this board (whether this thread or not) that are saying more than that they don't like it. They are extrapolating from the graphics to make judgements about how the game will play, e.g., it looks like a mobile game they don't like so therefore the gameplay will be like a mobile game they don't like. Others are making judgments about the designers' motivations, e.g, "clearly they want the graphics to attract kids".

But I don't think that's "outrage", I think that's just statements not supported by evidence or reasoning.

20. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Granted, but CivRev2 looks a lot like Civ4. In fact when I first saw CivRev2, I thought it was going to be Civ4 mobile edition.

For me, they all look very similar on a small/smaller screen, which is how I experienced the Civ6 screenshots this morning.

Having had time to review the HD screens on my big screen monitor, I'm a bit less pessimistic, but the lack of 'effects' does bother me a bit. I hope some atmospheric effects go in