1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot analysis!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, May 11, 2016.

1. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

It doesn't look like a district, more like improvements. Ed told there are unique improvements on the screenshots, probably that's the Japanese one? A coastal improvement with a lot of food?

2. Denkt

Denkt Reader

It don't look to be costal improvement as you can see one behind the city.

It could be a improvement that generate gold like trade post in Civilization V and cottages in Civilization VI.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The neighborhoods could be improvements, not districts. It was not made clear.

4. Denkt

Denkt Reader

That is true, we have never been told what neighbourhood are an improvement or a district. Given that you probably can not build any buildings in a neighbourhood would make it likely to be an improvment.

Neighbourhoods likely provide happines to the city (less overcrowding) and maybe can only be built next to the city tile.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The way I read the (admittedly scant) information on Neighborhoods is that they increase the population cap in the city.

6. Denkt

Denkt Reader

I have also read that but that could just mean less overcrowding (If you have played Pandora First Contact, this is the way thats game neighbourhoods work).

The orange district in the third screenshot do look like some sort of entertainment district so that could be a way to increase happiness.

7. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Oh my, now you've made me look all over those screenshots again.

Huh, the only thing I see that could maybe be an unique improvement would be that what we thought was dye/silk... maybe it's a cherry blossom tree? :p

Anyway, where do those neighbourhoods come from everyone is talking about.

8. bison21

bison21 Warlord

Has this been posted yet? I couldn't find it scanning the forum quickly, sorry if this is a re-post.
    People have recreated the Civ6 screenshots in CiV and CivIII. I thought it was a hilarious idea given the outrage the art style had created.
    I think it really shows the saturation of colours contrasted, more than anything. Imagine you reduce saturation of Civ6 screenshots by 50% and you'd get a much less "cartoony" look. Anyway just thought it'd be fun sharing!

Original Civ6 version:

Civ5 version:

Civ4 version:

Civ3 version:

Sources (for bigger pics):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/4je4c8/i_tried_to_recreate_the_civ_vi_landscapes_in_civ/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/4jco8h/i_tried_to_recreate_the_civ_vi_landscapes_in_civ/
    Cerilis screenshot (see below)

9. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Why not civ4?

10. m15a

m15a Emperor

That's pretty informative, thanks! I can see some benefits in ease of reading the map at that scale. Like, in the Civ VI map, it's easy to differentiate the buildings within the district whereas it might be difficult to spot different buildings with Civ V style graphics (judging by the academy tile there). I guess that sort of visual scanning is going to be important in Civ Vi, since you could, for example, aim to specifically weaken a civ's tech advantage (or widen their disadvantage) by taking out a powerful science district.

11. bison21

bison21 Warlord

I think the point was that people have compared Civ6 to Civ5 and to Civ3 rather than Civ4- but honestly it could already be in the making.

Oh that's a good point about the visual scanning! Yeah that actually makes sense, given that Civ6 is looking to be much more map-centred.

12. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Why would they only compare it to those 2 and not civ4? :confused:

13. m15a

m15a Emperor

It's two different people that made those screenshots. I think each took significant work, so someone would have to come around that happens to feel like doing that for Civ 4. I'd definitely like to see it, though.

14. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

How about not complaining about what's not there and instead look at what is? :rolleyes:

I think the comparison is very enlightening. I'm still confident that if colours and forests gets fixed, Civ6 can come to look good.

15. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I wasnt complaining, just wondering. D: Wouldnt civ4 be the easiest with the worldbuilder and all? :p Maybe I could do it myself!

16. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

:goodjob:

17. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I did it. Kinda.

Spoiler :

Were there really no swamps in civ4?

18. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Great job! Maybe you can resize to 1024 pixel width so Bison can add it to the list?

According to this there was no swamp in Civ4.

Edit > Figured I should put my money where my mouth is, so I did the re-sizing for you. ;)

Spoiler :

19. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Like this?

20. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Yeah, exactly, also see my edited post above.