1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot analysis!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, May 11, 2016.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Same here. It looks a lot like Civ Rev. I am just hoping that these are alpha graphics and that once they add more detailed textures that it will look better.

My guess is that the move to single person units is to accommodate the new "combined arms" feature. Now, you will be able to know exactly what units are combined together by looking at each figure on the tile. For example if you see a swordsman next to a catapult, you know that the unit is a swordsman combined with a catapult. If you see a single archer, you know it is just an archer unit.

2. damnyankees

damnyankees Chieftain

I must say also that I don't get a graphical sense of a city spanning multiple tiles from these screenshots. The improvements on each tile looks distinct and unique and doesn't really "connect" to the tiles next to them. I'm hoping that when they say cities span multiple tiles, it will actually look like a single coherent city spanning multiple tiles, not a bunch of atomistic, unconnected tiles which are "part of the same city" in text description only.

3. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

I wholeheartedly agree. This is even uglier than Civ rev, if that is even possible. I desperately hope that this is just a mockup alpha graphics thing.

If the game looks like that, I'm not buying it.

4. moopoo

moopoo Chieftain

If I were gonna guess 12:
    Production
    Economic
    Science
    Trade
    Military
    Culture
    Religious
    Maritime
    Food (granary etc)
    Happiness
    Maybe Health is back as a separate mechanic to food?
    Spy/Corruption/Internal Security?

EDIT: you're right, looks like granaries are in the city centre.
    The only other thing I can think of at the moment is some kind of Post Industrial Revolution district that enables advanced production/military production

5. hugojackson18

hugojackson18 Chieftain

As I was saying on the release post, I'm a bit disappointed by the style as well.. Specially when you see what the guys at Creative Assembly are doing on their campaign map for Total War: Wharammer...

I love cartoony style but I think this just looks cheap and a bit outdated (or just mobile-quality), and I think with the time that Civ 6 must have been in production, and the talent they've got at Firaxis, they could have done a bit more than this... Cartoony style in Age Of Empires Online was absolutely amazing, and it still had weathering and atmospheric effects, but this?... Feels like they could have added a bit more life than this....

6. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Mhrm Trade and Economics on different tiles? And Food and Health could be combined too as a late mid game tile (think Hospitals/those food labs).
    Mhrm, didnt the article say there will be 5 victory conditions? Domination, Culture, Science, Diplo and...? Maybe there will be something entirely new.
    Spy stuff is a good thought though.

7. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Economic victory perhaps?

8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Are people seriously slamming the graphics when I'm sure it's nothing but aesthethic? Look at the effects of the fancy graphics in Civ 5 had on the game.

To this day you have the ugly grey tiles and improvements failing to render. TO THIS DAY.

There is no doubt that it's one or the other

EITHEr we get amazing gameplay but sacrifice graphics
    OR we get amazing graphics but sacrifice graphics.

Seriously. I'm chogin the first. I'd be happy with flat-2D graphics if it meant the game is amazing.

9. legoras

legoras Chieftain

Game looks like a next crap for smartphones... ;/

10. moopoo

moopoo Chieftain

Yeah it was tough to come up with 12. :dunno:

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Saying that I don't like the graphics means that I don't like the graphics. It doesn't say anything about whether it's a good game or not. I don't agree that gameplay and graphics are mutually exclusive.

12. AerisDraco

AerisDraco Chieftain

I support the game improvements, especially the unit stacking. Dual ranged melee units sound fun, unless I'm misinterpreting it.
    The graphic style though, is more reminiscent of a high-quality mobile game than that of a full on PC game.

Also, rip Civ BE. :(

13. hugojackson18

hugojackson18 Chieftain

I totally disagree with that. It does not have to be one OR the other. A game can have amazing gameplay and amazing graphics. It's just the company's decision to make the game look this way.

14. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Maybe a defense district, with a castle and the like. But then again, that would be similar to encampment and you could probably also include spy and inner security stuff in there.

(It might be possible btw, that wonder tiles in general are included in those 12 different districts, leaving 11.)

15. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

I have to agree with the people saying it looks (graphically) like a mobile game. The aesthetic does resemble CivRev in a lot of ways. Some of the gameplay stuff sounds awesome but the graphical style really isn't doing anything for me at all.

Edit: And I'm sure the actual graphics will be better on release because these are alpha renderings, but the game is coming out in 5 months so the style is almost certainly going to look just like this. Anyone hoping for something better for release are setting themselves up for disappointment, I'm 95% sure that at release it will look like this but with higher quality textures, the art style will not change this late in the game.

16. Denkt

Denkt Reader

In my opinion the best graphics I have seen of a civ game. To me it sound like they are trying to pull of a EUIV with Civ 6, a game that improves alot upon what civ 5 had.

District sounds like a very good thing, likely we now get rid of those workers and to me it seems like you can have several district so city specialization may now be a thing again.

17. hugojackson18

hugojackson18 Chieftain

Don't get me wrong, I love cartoony style. It's just the way it's executed here. Not to the standards of a 2016 PC game from a company like Firaxis.

You can make cartoony look awesome. This just look cheap and overlooked. Killed it a bit for me (who was expecting something really beautiful like Total War Wharammer...)

18. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

All three screenshots are shot with the same angle and field of view.

It might as well just be one screenshot. :\

I don't like the bright colors... but I'm not against cartoony proportions exactly. In Civ V, for instance, the minutely detailed unit textures are just scribbles I never take a look at during actual play.

19. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

me_on_the_left on Reddit posted a 'shopped version with fixed colors.

Spoiler :

20. consentient

consentient Domination!

*vomits*