1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Screenshot analysis!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, May 11, 2016.

1. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I dunno, I think having Sumer comes instead of having Persia though, with both being ancient middle eastern civs.

2. hugojackson18

hugojackson18 Warlord

Anyone noticed the unconsistency of gameplay footage saturation and contrast? Some of them are SO contrasty and saturated, Im wondering whats going on there.

Spoiler :

Compared to the gameplay video footage
    Spoiler :

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I think it was an accidental saturation since even the UI got saturated.

4. Quarz

Quarz Chieftain

Just seems to be taken from "outside the screen".

5. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I also think that the screenshots may have come from different builds. We know the first screenshots we got when the game was first announced were somewhat over saturated, the community complained about the "cartoony" graphics and then later screenshots were much less saturated. Ed B even said that they made some tweaks in response to the community feedback. So, my guess is that the saturated screenshots are from an earlier build.

6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Look at the Warrior's icon, the green is extremely bright, which doesn't match with China's actual colors, I think the video was just accidently over-saturated.

7. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

Do you happen to recall where?

8. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Not really. It might have been one of the E3 interviews.

9. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I think the variance in saturation has everything to do with the different methods used for creating and manipulating the video and very little to do with the actual game.

10. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Spoiler :

It would appear that they dumped the Roman numeral Iconography in some areas.

11. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

I just chalked that up to placeholder/temporary branding. The "Side Meier's Civilization" lock up is the same one from V.

Plus, it's really really ugly.

12. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

I thought so too until i noticed they bothered to make an actual computer icon of the symbol. Certainly could be a placeholder. Still felt like pointing it out.

13. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

In addition to the views of Kilimanjaro, in the art video there's a clearer look at this natural wonder:

14. agentofscranton

agentofscranton Chieftain

I'm 99% sure that that natural wonder is Tsingy De Bemaraha in Madagascar:

Spoiler :

15. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

It IS Tsingy de Bemaraha, it says so very clearly at 0:14.

16. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Tsingy de Bemaraha is pretty fascinating thing.

Wikipedia:
    "In several regions on western Madagascar, centering on this National Park and adjacent Nature Reserve, the superposition of vertical and horizontal erosion patterns has created dramatic "forests" of limestone needles.
    The incredibly sharp limestone formations can cut through equipment and flesh easily, which makes traversing them extremely difficult."

Cracked.com
    "Biologists call the area a bio-fortress. The park is so impassable and uncharted, in fact, that every time a team goes on an expedition there, they find approximately five new species.

Those limestone things really are razor-sharp. "Tsingy" is actually the Malagasy word for "where you cannot walk barefoot." When one expedition visited, they couldn't navigate with ordinary rock-climbing gear because (and these are actual quotes from an actual scientist) "Tsingy chewed equipment and flesh with equal ease. At times it was like climbing amid giant skewers, the consequences of a fall suggested in the mutilated trunks of toppled trees below."

And just in case you still think we're exaggerating, here's how Steven Goodman (the quoted scientist above) ended his trip: He and his team were walking on a normal, plain, flat path, when he turned his ankle just a little bit and stumbled. That's all -- he didn't even fall all the way; just took a brief knee. It took them two days to hobble back to a hospital to remove the limestone spike from his kneecap."

17. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Tsingy de Bemaraha sounds really amazing. I'd never heard of it before! Yet another great thing about the Civilization franchise :)

18. BttLsht

BttLsht King

Sounds like a child hazard.

19. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Maybe it could function like Citadels in Civ V and hurt enemy units next to it :lol:

20. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

I didn't know my kneecaps could shudder..! :dubious::eek: Thanks(?) for the new experience.