[SDK] Dale's Combat Mod!

Great job. I installed it today and ran a game. I noticed two visual glitches.

When units fight, they sort of just do a jitterbug, their animation seems odd.
[EDIT]
Ah I see, it is a byproduct of animation "stall prevention".

But I still see this flicker when ending a turn, the screen does an annoying "refresh" kind of action, which makes the map go black for a split second.

I also notice it sometimes when AI initiates diplomacy between turns. All the terrain tiles go black, but the outline is kept. Looks rather weird. Anyone that can tell me what is going on?

""But I still see this flicker when ending a turn, the screen does an annoying "refresh" kind of action, which makes the map go black for a split second.

I also notice it sometimes when AI initiates diplomacy between turns. All the terrain tiles go black, but the outline is kept. Looks rather weird. Anyone that can tell me what is going on?""

Its what your useing for graphics try and update your drivers if you have a card. If your useing a chip set buy a card i have the same problem with civ moded or not
doesn't hurt game play but looks like theres a problem

Unmodded, or running with another mod, there are no problems. I am using Catalyst 6.8 drivers, but it also happens with 6.4.

i havent gone out and bought a video card so i'm used to this stuff
the damn chipsets are so out of date its pethetic and good luck trying to find drivers for them that are not more than a couple years old i finally found moded drivers that fixed all my major graphics problems i still get the same stuff as you but whats funny is when the map go's black i just minimize the screen then bring it back up and its gone i'd like that one explained to me

Immacolata said:
Unmodded, or running with another mod, there are no problems. I am using Catalyst 6.8 drivers, but it also happens with 6.4.

I haven't tried the Catalyst 6.8 drivers I've had to go back to 5.11 for some strange reason they work better and as for 6.7 catalyst worst driver i've ever had full of 3D bugs

My card is pretty state of the art, Radeon X1900XT. Works flawlessly with all games, even Civ 4. Except when running Dale's combat mod. Then the terrain tiles refresh very oddly and noticeably between turns by going black, then refresh again for a split second. Super annoying >.<

Graet idea and work Dale. However:

3. Sort of. Depends on the makeup of the attacking forces. 1 defender could be hit by bombarders, ranged and melee units. The only restriction is that only ONE melee combat will occur for each defender. This is unfortunately a limitation of the graphics engine and how it works. I'd love it to be multiple melee battles for 1 defender.

Does this mean that if 3 swordsman attacks a longbowman, the battle could easily not be won? Since only one of the swordsmen really attacks the longbowman, and then the battle ends. If this is the case, can the swordsmen that havent moved , attack again , since they werent in a battle?

Another comment. Is it realistic that defending ranged units (archers) aims for the opponents archers. Wouldn't the attackers ranged unit normally stay out opf range, so the defending archers would aim for the charging melee units?

Otherwise great work, even though I have some problem making it work. It seems my large stacks, which normally would win without problems get defeated to small defending city stacks. But maybe I just need to change my stacks content when I get the hang of the new system.

Immacolata said:
My card is pretty state of the art, Radeon X1900XT. Works flawlessly with all games, even Civ 4. Except when running Dale's combat mod. Then the terrain tiles refresh very oddly and noticeably between turns by going black, then refresh again for a split second. Super annoying >.<

AS with all mods fraxis gave us the SDK but not the code for the graphics engine so while we can make mods or edit the game we can not do any thing with the way the graphics engine handles new things although it may be annoying its not making the game crash nor is it getting in the way of your turn. most of the time i'm up out my seat while the AI has a turn so i don't notice it.. but untill fraxis take on dales idea's were going to have to play round it:D

I would love to give this a whirl but the comments about small stacks crushing big ones are kinda scaring me. (see Anjin Sushi's posts above)

Just a update. Ive tried this mod with warlords also. It did crash once but i think thats because i played for like 15 hours straight and my computer was tired. that was Sunday, when i played from same point tonite it worked fine. so as of now its running good. good job!! especially the combat much better with ranged cats and trebs.

Been playing with the mod for a few hrs now..seems most of my probs went away...maybe something was conflicting(?). Tho I also get the stalled animation on the end of the turn, but I found that if you go back to before the end of the turn, and enable 'quick offense and defense' in the options menu the stall no longer happens. Hope this helps.

And besides that I also noticed I am in 900AD and no warlords units yet. Am hoping these bigger issues get cleaned up in 1.03. Thanks again for the mod.

Wow great job getting this for Warlords so quickly. It looks great.

OK played my first game of Warlords with your mod and got a stall right away, plus i noticed that the barbarians go after the weakess unit in a town to fight??
Was playing as the Americans am sending files to help.

sweetpete said:
Great mod! one question though,
How does combat odds work with this mod?
Do you get your combat odds for succesfully defeating one stack with another?

Can anybody help me on this question?

Also,
How do you use fighters when attacking with a stack?
I mean, fighters can only base in cities, how do you include them in an attacking stack in the field?

Maybe someone can give me some general information on how stack attack works in this mod. I've read the first post but there are some stuff i stilll dont understand. But i will try my first game this this mod now and perhaps i'll understand it some more then.

Thanks for any replies...

suggestion: Missiles shouldnt be able to transfer/do recon. They should have to be loaded in towns onto ships or launched from a silo improvement (from RogerBacon's Flying mod)

sweetpete said:
Can anybody help me on this question?

Also,
How do you use fighters when attacking with a stack?
I mean, fighters can only base in cities, how do you include them in an attacking stack in the field?

Maybe someone can give me some general information on how stack attack works in this mod. I've read the first post but there are some stuff i stilll dont understand. But i will try my first game this this mod now and perhaps i'll understand it some more then.

Thanks for any replies...

I'm not sure about fighters being in a land unit stack (never tried it always used them to protect cities) but if you load them into a carrier then put that carrier in a stack of naval ships the fighters are then part of that stack and if attacked or attacking they too are used,

In my land stacks i put a least 1 unit from the unit list, my list for my stack modern 2x modern tanks 2x mobile infantry 2x sam units 2x marines 1x gunship (or more) that way i have protection for most attacks. but i have noticed the AI loves to stack mobile infantry and are very good at using them :( all in all make sure you know what the AI has and plan against it spies are good for this also whith this mod its harder to fight a battle and hair pulling hard to fight 2 at once:eek:

Also had a crash in the new warlords version

it stalls in "waiting for other civilizations" and keeps on waiting and waiting

attached the save. have to press end turn 2 or 3 times and then the bug shows up

Sorry I haven't been in to reply recently. Been really busy on other things the last few days. However when I get time I will reply to all. :)

Just quickly though:

Immacolatta:
The graphics engine gets quite a workout with this mod. You might have been just under the limit normally but this mod pushes you over the limit. That would explain why it works fine in other mods/vanilla.

Dale

Top Bottom