1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sending a Camera Around the World to Fellow CFCers Faster than the First Attempt

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Boundless, Feb 23, 2012.

1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Surely we all have a digital camera of some sort, so that means all we need to be sending around a card for the camera and that can be shipped around much easier than a whole analogue camera. Plus it will be easier than doing with an analogue camera.

2. Boundless

Boundless Deity

Thanks Lucy. Abaddon is willing to cover costs if anyone is iffy about international postage, but seriously.. a little light camera isn't going to cost much to post surely?

3. Boundless

Boundless Deity

Doubt there is a universal card type between us. Mines Sony MicroSD for example...

4. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Throwaways add to the charm as well as completely solving any potential compatibility issues. I'd be totally amazed if we all had a digital camera that could take the same card. Plus the disposable can't be tampered with. Since, for example, if it were a MicroSD card going around, I would make copies and potatoshop an elephant into every previous photo.

5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I'm not confident about being able to afford international postage... :sad:

Warpus, it was somewhere between $10-$13 for each of us just within Canada, if I remember correctly?

Boundless, are you going to send a notebook along, like contre did?

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

:eek: Canada postage is HIGH! :eek:

7. Valka D'Ur

Well, we did send it expresspost, to move it along a little faster. But yeah, it still would have been pricey even at normal snailmail rates, and the time savings didn't turn out all that much after all. :huh:

Canada Post is just a mere shadow of what it once was, in terms of service for a reasonable price.

8. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Retired Moderator

Has it been privatized? There's talk of doing that here in the US, and it makes me nervous.

9. Valka D'Ur

No, but I'm sure there are plenty of people in our current government that would love to sell it off cheap. Thing is, they closed down a lot of post offices across the country, cut back on delivery days and times, and not everybody gets door-to-door service. Our main post office - in a city of over 80,000 people - was closed down YEARS ago. Little mini-postal outlets are now to be found in neighborhood strip malls and wedged into a corner of pharmacies here and there. My closest postal outlet isn't even within walking distance. The price of postage goes up like clockwork every year, as well as fees for all kinds of other services.

A lot of people do use the 'net now instead of actually mailing letters so they barely noticed any problems during our postal strike last year. But there are still lots of people, me included, who depend on a functional postal system, since I found out that the courier companies are no fit substitute. :gripe:

10. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

Talked to my dad. He said sure. So, I'm in. Looking forward to this.

11. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

:lol: I like the idea of elephants in every photo. Though, it probably wouldn't be all that representative of where we actually live.

I agree it's unlikely everyone has a compatible digital camera. I was surprised that I have the same memory card type as Boundless (if it is Sony's MicroSD equivalent M2 Micro, and not Sony with regular MicroSD), but I'm sure not everyone else does.

I'd be willing to be one of the international shippers, but I am kind of in the middle of North America, so it might not work the best logistically.

12. IdiotsOpposite

IdiotsOpposite Boom, headshot.

I don't have a digital camera at all. I mean, I could borrow my dads, but I figured we were using a disposable.

13. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

:(

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, it was something like that. Mailing stuff in Canada is expensive, compared to what you pay if you want to mail it within the U.S. I used to sell tshirts online and even mailing stuff to the U.S. from Canada was a lot cheaper than mailing it within Canada..

15. Boundless

Boundless Deity

As with the other thread, we have several AWESOME anonymous people who are willing to help cover postage costs if we are stuck for international posters. You will need Paypal to receive help!

16. Valka D'Ur

I have PayPal. :)

Speaking of postage... how crazy is it that I could pay 99 cents US (which is a little over $1 CDN) for a packet of jewelry/scrapbooking doodads from Asia, get free shipping, it's delivered right to me... for cheaper than if I took the bus across town and bought the same amount of identical doodads at Michael's (craft store)?

17. madviking

madviking north american scum

Labor costs, honey.

18. Valka D'Ur

I am not your wife, girlfriend, daughter, or any other female relative of yours. I would prefer not to be called "honey" by anybody online. :huh:

19. Boundless

Boundless Deity

I think he was talking about bees

20. Valka D'Ur

Bees have ZERO to do with ordering craft supplies from Asia, unless it's to make beeswax candles, which I don't do.