Separate subforum for sample games?

Do we need a separate subforum of strategy & tips to contain sample games?

• Yes! They are crowding out the other discussions

Votes: 92 86.8%
  • No! I like it the way they are

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters

vanatteveldt

Emperor
A lot of threads in the strategy and tips forum are now sample games: the ALC, various RPC's, etc. These games are really fun to read and very useful in understanding how certain strategies work, and I believe they certainly belong in this strategy and tips forum. However, I think we should have a separate subforum for these games as they are starting to crowd out all most non-sample game discussions.

Agree?

Last time this suggestion came up (about a year ago iirc) I argued against it, but these days it's got so there are three challenge/walkthrough threads for every 'normal' thread.

I've actually had a couple of cool ideas for challenges myself, but I really don't want to add to the congestion. And I can't help wondering whether the current state of affairs is putting people off from coming here to ask questions (thus making things even worse). Thanks to all those confusingly titled threads, it hardly looks like the place for a newb to come and ask a simple question (which, imo, is the most basic function a Strategy&Tips forum should provide).

Won't somebody think of the children?! ;)

I'm also in favour for a new subforum of the strategy and tips forum similar to how the strategy articles forum is a subforum of the strategy and tips forum. I agree very much with the OP and Winston Hughes that it would improve the amount of discussion of strategy in the strategy and tips forum and make the forum more accessible to newbies.

Any suggestion for a name for such a subforum? Maybe 'strategy games' or 'strategy games and walkthroughs' or 'instructional games and walkthroughs'. English is not my native language so maybe someone else can come up with a better suggestion that captures the intent of such a subforum.

Could you add another option to your poll - "There already is one"

Civ4 - Stories & Tales
the difference between those games, and ones like the ALC, is the sheer amount of discussion about strategy and tactics that occur in those threads.

I've read a few on those games, and I rarely learn much precisely because there isn't ten pages of discussion about whether or not to settle in place.

the difference between those games, and ones like the ALC, is the sheer amount of discussion about strategy and tactics that occur in those threads.

I've read a few on those games, and I rarely learn much precisely because there isn't ten pages of discussion about whether or not to settle in place.

The succession games in the Stories & Tales section often have many pages of discussion on whether to settle in place.

I agree about the ALC and one or two others that attempt to explore specific strategies for dealing with particular settings but most of the games now have less strategy discussion than the succession games.

it was fine when it was just the ALC and the Immortal Challenge but now there are about 10 different series at anyone time. i like them but they are getting in the way.

I like having a sub-forum for walkthrough games.

The stories and tales forum as well as succession games are very entertaining and enjoyable, but the main emphasis in NOT strategy.

I voted yes, but I don't think it matters much.

Sir Janus, it is hard to beat sucession games in terms of discussion, especially if the team is split in terms of what to do with the game at some point ( hting can get pretty nasty ;) ) ... On here, besides the ALC and the Aelf games ( I beleive that some people simply love the settling discussion, because they like to argue per se ) , I agree there is not much of discussion in the games ( some of them ,like obsolete ones , are simply demo games )....

I would not be pissed if I had to post the LHC in a subforum and it would help with organization of the forum most surely, but I would be more concerned with some other stuff, like a thread that started in the Articles area with a OP of a paragraph or a demo game that another player used to mirror it ( fair enough ,but some people acused him of threadjacking ) and that ended with a erudite and very Civ related discussion concerning the cats claws.... :rolleyes:

I voted no, this forum has a really good mix of walkthroughs and articles for discussion that compliment each other, splitting up would neuter some of the discussion. On a personal level, this is the only section in the forums I read, so splitting them up means two forums, and there are just the right number of updates to keep me busy as it is. ;)

I voted yes, it would make it easier to sort and find all the games you follow, which for me is a number at any given time. Also since I play so slow I perhaps wouldn't have to dig to page 4 to find the thread I'm looking to post an update in. ;)

I thought that was what stories and tales was supposed to be when i first came to these forums, but that place is mostly a fan fiction forum. They're literally stories, with very little gameplay discussion.

Definitely could use a sub forum for them. While it was just the ALC it didn't really matter, but there's been rather an epidemic of sample games recently, to the extent that they make up more than half of the first page at the moment.

The stories and tales forum is more for fanfic than sample games.

I voted yes, mostly because some of this clutter is my fault.
it was fine when it was just the ALC and the Immortal Challenge but now there are about 10 different series at anyone time. i like them but they are getting in the way.
I agree there are more, but I disagree they get in the way. What is possible though, is that some topics scroll off the first page faster now.

I think a separate forum strictly for RPCs, Walkthroughs and Series games would be helpful in organizing "Strategy" in general.

Normally, I am not a big "more forums" guy, but in this case, I think this board has so much traffic these days that another sub-forum would be helpful. Walkthroughs, play-alongs, regular series, etc, in one, and non=specific-game strategy discussion here.
Yeah, and it would perhaps increase traffic to those games which don't seem to garner much attention.
I think that the people who visit the forums are the ones who dictate which get attention and which dont. If anything, I think a sub-forum would create LESS interest in those games that already get very few views.

However, I think the games that are the most popular already (ALC, Madscientists, LHC, etc) would not lose "followers", but may lose "kibitzers".

There already is a separate subforum for game write-ups - story's and tales. And a SG subforum. Those do not get lot of attention, so some people prefer to post thye games here. Introducing just another subforum will not help here.

And personally i feel there are too many subforums already.

Top Bottom