SGFN-09: Constantinople stands alone!

Pizza is like sex, even when it's bad, it's good. Anyway, I am finally able to post my turnset. Here is my turn-log:

Spoiler :

Pre-flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Get the save loaded. Adjust capital to end riots and avoid destruction of temple. Trade Philo to Greece for 133 gold. Trade it to Aztecs and Zulu for 25 gold each. We have 543 gold now.

Non-Combat
Workers 3
Slave 1

Military units:
Warriors 3
Curragh 1

Unit Support:
Total Units: 7
Allowed Units: 8
Support Cost: 0 gpt

Contacts
Zulu=>Peace
Spain=>Peace
Greeks=>Peace
Ottomans=>Peace
Aztecs=>Peace
Mongols=>Peace
Russians=>Peace

Capital Size 10, grows in -33, Pyramids in 999 turns. 13Cpt, 348 total culture.

Turn 1, 1225 BC: Revolution over, we are now a Republic. Adjust citizen assignments, we now grow in 1.

IBT: One road segment to Ivory finishes.

Turn 2, 1200 BC: Adjust sliders to 0/8/2. Move workers to continue road.

IBT: One more road segment to Ivory finishes.

Turn 3, 1175 BC: Move workers to continue road.
Curragh finds land bridge connecting us to everyone else, this weird continents map is more like an archipelago/Pangaea. Strange…

IBT: Nada

Turn 4, 1150 BC:Move explorers.

IBT: Ivory road completed!

Turn 5, 1125 BC:Switch to SoZ, losing 23 shields. Send 2 workers and slave back home, other to colonize Wines.

IBT: SoZ=>Barracks

Turn 6, 1100 BC:Trade Philo to Mongols for Map Making and 14 gold. Trade Philo to Spain for 50 gold. Everyone has Philo now. Disband capital warrior, rush barracks for 52 gold.

IBT: Barracks=>Pyramids.

Turn 7, 1075 BC:Move Sliders to 3/5/2 for Literature overrun.
Greeks and Spain have Polytheism.

IBT: Literature=>Currency.

Turn 8, 1050 BC: Move Sliders to 0/8/2, Currency in 10 turns at -6gpt. Constantinople and Barbaropolis grow.

IBT: Nada.

Turn 9, 1025 BC: Change Pyramids to Library, lose 6 shields.

IBT: Library=>Pyramids.

Turn 10, 1000 BC: That’s all.

Non-Combat
Workers 3
Slave 1

Military units:
Warriors 1
Curragh 1

Unit Support:
Total Units: 6
Allowed Units: 4
Support Cost: 4 gpt

Contacts
Zulu=>Peace
Spain=>Peace
Greeks=>Peace
Ottomans=>Peace
Aztecs=>Peace
Mongols=>Peace
Russians=>Peace

Capital Size 12, grows in 5, Pyramids in 18 turns. 23Cpt, 494 total culture. CivAssist 2 victory date, 2176 AD.

Sliders 0/8/2, Currency in 5 turns at -7 gpt, 412 in the bank.

As you can tell by reading, it was uneventful on the surface. Much progress was made, however, and we are well on the way to winning. Adding 10 cpt in one turnset is really good for a 20K game. We also have the possibility of getting the Pyramids and the Great Library, these Monarch AIs seem like the sisters of the poor:lol: I say keep the Pyramids going, and if we lose them, we'll have an earlier GLiB. If we get them and the GLiB, even better.

The save:

Okay, I'm up. Got It. Now a question...

-What should we research after we get Currency?

Hmm ... do we lack anything else from the AA? Once we're in the MA, I'd aim for Monotheism first and squeeze in a Cathedral ASAP.

OTOH, if (when?) we get the GLib, we might want to turn off research for a while. At this level, though, we might run out of culture to build before the AI gets to Education.

What does everyone else think? Should we turn off research when Currency comes in?

What does everyone else think? Should we turn off research when Currency comes in?

Tempting, and probably yes. There are still a LOT of wonders to build, and there's no sense in letting those pesky AI have much benefit of our research. I'd actually turn off research now (maybe), but I can be convinced that letting Currency go is for the best. Then, once we're into the Middle Ages, we can turn research back on for Mono-Theo-Education (and not trade these) and hopefully picking up at least Feudalism and Monotheism along the way.

I can't expect the AI to be this incompetent forever.

I think we could lower research to 15-20 turns per tech so that things slow down a bit, then we could do some warring...

And when do we want our GA?

No. There is still a cathedral, a Knight's Templar, a Sistine Chapel, a J.S. Bachs Cathedral and a Shakespeares Theater to be built.

Most of those come after the GLib expires...

Tempting, and probably yes. There are still a LOT of wonders to build, and there's no sense in letting those pesky AI have much benefit of our research. I'd actually turn off research now (maybe), but I can be convinced that letting Currency go is for the best. Then, once we're into the Middle Ages, we can turn research back on for Mono-Theo-Education (and not trade these) and hopefully picking up at least Feudalism and Monotheism along the way.

I can't expect the AI to be this incompetent forever.

The AI is pretty tame at this level. I haven't had a chance to check the save -- do we have Lit as a monopoly tech?

Also, how many turns 'til we get the Pyramids? If we get it, how many more 'til we get the GLib? I have the feeling we might need to choose one and let the other go, but it's hard to say for sure. If we get lucky, any Wonder cascades from the Pyramids will miss the GLib due to lack of Lit knowledge.

I think we could lower research to 15-20 turns per tech so that things slow down a bit, then we could do some warring...

And when do we want our GA?

Now that we're a Republic with a large capital, I'd say the sooner the better. It'll help us get a couple of high-culture Wonders that much sooner.

Wonders we can get before the GLib goes obsolete
-Sun Tzu’s Art of War
-Knights’ Templar
-Sistine Chapel
-Leonardo's Workshop
-All AA Wonders

Sistine is the best for culture, but the Gardens are the best bang for the buck.

If you build the Pyramids, since the AIs know Philosophy (right?) you'll probably lose the Museum of Mausollos in the cascade. The MoM will trigger your GA. For a 20k game, the earlier GA comes as much more useful than the Pyramids. Also, the MoM often enables you to lower the luxury slider in this sort of game.

For a 20k even with 2 cities, I'd strongly suggest keeping research on full throtle. You get access to the higher culture wonders earlier and you have an early chance at an SGL.

Spoonwood makes a good point, SGLs are only going to come by being first to techs. I think at Monarch, the GLib is only useful for culture, as the AI research is piddly. Literature is a monopoly, and should be kept as such, worth spurning if demanded. Do not give it in trade or if demanded. Build the MoM before the Pyramids, we'll want our GA soon.

Agreed on the sooner-the-better GA. Mausoleum, GLib, wave good bye to Pyramids, and if we can get Hanging Gardens that would be awesome. Unfortunately, with Polytheism around before Pyramids are done, they'll be able to cascade us for a while via Temple of Artemis.

Any updates, Sparthage?

Sorry for missing updates :blush:. Playing today hopefully. Update by tomorrow around 4 PM EST (-5 GMT).

Spoiler Turn Log :
Red- Combat or War Declaration
Orange- Wonder-Related Event
Green- City Build
Blue- Science-Related Event

Turn 0 (1000 BC)- Switch Constantinople to MoM (9 Turns)
IBT- Spanish Move in a settler/spear pair.
Barbarian 2/2 Galley Killed by Our 3/3 IS Malcom, 0 HP lost.Free Ancient Cav.
Turn 1 (975 BC)- Move Units to deter Spain.
IBT- Settler moves North.
Turn 2 (950 BC)- More Blocking.
IBT- More Settler Moves
Turn 3 (925 BC)- More Blocking.
IBT- Spain Moves to Coast.
Mongols Begin MoM.
Mongols Finish Pyramids in Karakorum.
Ottomans, Greeks, and Spainish Building Temple of Artemis.
Aztecs, Zulu Building MoM.

Turn 4 (900 BC)- Last Ditch attempts at detering Spain.
IBT- Spain builds Salamanca, Cutting Road. :mad:
Turn 5 (875 BC)- Lower Sci-slider to 10%, +31 gpt, Currency in 1 Turn.
IBT- Spain Kicks us out of their new city.
Another Ancient Cav comes in.
Currency=> Polytheism (5 Turns, -5 gpt)
Turn 6 (850 BC)- MM Barbaropolis to get its temple in 4 turns instead of 6.
IBT- Zzzzzz...
Turn 7 (825 BC)- Zzzzzz...
IBT (Really Bad One!)- Ottomans Demand Philosophy. They're not on our Continent. I refuse, and they declare.
Aztecs Finish MoM. Nooooooooo!!!!!!!
Turn 8 (800 BC)- Change Constantinople to GLib (9 Turns)
IBT- Zzzzzzzz...
Turn 9 (775 BC)- Zzzzz...
IBT- Barbaropolis: Temple=> Library (10 Turns, CAN BE CHANGED)
Russians Building Great Wall.
Turn 10 (750 BC)- Decrease Sci-Slider to 20%, Polytheism in 1 Turn (+25 gpt)

Cities:
Constantinople (Size 12): The Great Library (7 Turns)
Barbaropolis (Size 4, Grows in 16): Library (10 Turns)

Military:
02 Warriors (0/0/2/0)
02 Ancient Cavalry (0/2/0) +2
01 Curragh (1/0/0)
04 Workers (3 Native, 1 Slave)

WEAK to Ottomans (AT WAR!)
WEAK to Mongols (Fear their Archers)
WEAK to Spanish (Fear their Spears)
WEAK to Russians (Fear their Spears)
WEAK to Greeks (Fear their Archers)
WEAK to Zulu (Fear their Archers)
WEAK to Aztecs (Fear their Archers)

Foreign Reports:
Ottoman Empire (AT WAR!):
Have- Unknown
Missing- Unknown

Zululand (2 Cities, Annoyed):
Have- 34 Gold
Missing- Code of Laws, Literature, Currency

Greece (7 Cities, Polite):
Have- Polytheism, 36 Gold

Spain (6 Cities, Polite):
Have- Polytheism, 50 Gold

Aztec Empire (7 Cities, Cautious):
Have- Construction, Furs (1 Extra), Horses (0 Extra)
Missing- Code of Laws, Literature, Currency, Gold

Mongolia (9 Cities, Annoyed):
Have- Construction, Furs (0 Extra), 36 Gold

Russia (10 Cities, Cautious):
Have- Construction, Iron (0 Extra), Gems (0 Extra)
Missing- Code of Laws, Literature, Currency, Gold

Sliders:
Polytheism in 1 Turn
20% Science, 20% Luxury
+25 gpt

NOTES:
-We Missed the MoM and are now nearing the Great Library (7 Turns)
-Ottomans Declared War on Us
-Feel free to change Barbaropolis's Production
-We Have 3 Monopoly Techs
-Peace with the Ottomans is worthless until we get hit by WW, ignore them for now.

Attachments

• Sparthage Set 2 SGFN09.SAV
    98.2 KB · Views: 106
Top Bottom