SGOTM 04 - Geezers

I've had a look at the save now. Looks good, although Mark will have plenty to do. There's going to be some interesting action in the next ten turns.

Hmmm, it must be my turn again soon. Hope it involves striding across the wreckage of the Mongolian "empire".

When are you playing, markh, and what is the plan?

That work boat had it coming anyways.:lol: I almost did it too.

Good job overall :thumbsup: but allow me to make a few critical comments for future consideration.

Since we are planing to go to war, it would have been preferable to let Nidaros continue building swords and cats while starving. Wait untill the turn before it is about to kill off a citizen to rush a unit or another. You can plan it by building a unit until the last turn and switch and building other units untill the right time and switch back to the original unit to rush with 1 pop. This would have allowed for a good many more units to be built. Oh...btw the city need to have a grainary to do this or was about to grow before food became an issue.

Just remember we are going to be in a war for at least 10 to 20 turns and it will become a war of attrition. We must continue to build units untill we have reached our objectives.

Having said that, no big deal since the city can grow back as fast as 6 turns with the addition of the Trading post and assigning another see tile. We should have built it earlier but oh well :( . As for the Navy, I hope Mark see it as a luxuary to have for the moment and not a necassity.

Excellent placement of the units. The blocking teams job is to move to the forested hill and pilage the road, fortify and defend or attack anyone trying to reinforce the cap.

By the way the Capitol is begging to be attacked is it not?:drool: I wonder if I get to see any action with Mark and Harbourboy along the way with Thrallia skipping. Actually I hope that we will be done with this war in 20 turns.

Good work, Jenarie. :goodjob:

Have you submitted it yet? I can't see it on the progress graphs.

I can't see it either. :( Presumably Jenarie forgot to upload it or there was a problem uploading. Oh well, Jenarie can do that shortly.

I've had a look at the save now. Looks good, although Mark will have plenty to do. There's going to be some interesting action in the next ten turns.

It's interesting but not too bad. Karakorum is only defended by 2 archers at present. :)

When are you playing, markh, and what is the plan?

RL often seems to strike mark at the weekends so I doubt that mark will play before Monday evening.

Nice turnset Jenarie. :goodjob:

It belatedly occurs to me that perhaps we should have switched to Police State whilst we were building up our units so that we could build them faster. Not worth it now but something we should bear in mind in any future war preparations.

Pleased to see you've reinforced IronSheep. :) I thought about mentioning it earlier but you already had enough to think about.

Turning to the imminent war I agree that we need to DoW soon. Khan's adoption of religion is a bit of a pain. It helps both his cultural defence and the ability of his cities to expand.

We obviously need to move our units out of Khan's land before we DoW. We should try and intercept/destroy Khan's archer on the hill. Far better for it not to reinforce Karakorum. Not quite sure what the keshik in New Sarai will do. It might reinforce Karakorum but hopefully it will attack our assault force and come to a sticky end. I know the original plan was to pillage Khan's horses. Are we still doing that first or do we attack Karakorum first?

It seems almost certain that the keshik in Samarqand will go pillaging. I think it would be best for the spear N of El Do to go to the gold mine W of El Do and replace it by El Do's chariot. This probably means we'll lose the corn instead at which point El Do will starve. Perhaps it might be best for El Do to be building something, other than the market, that can be easily rushed. Khan's third keshik is probably in Chehalis so that will probably also go pillaging. I think we should leave the axe and spear in Nidaros to prevent any opportunistic attacks by Khan's keshiks.

I think we should continue building military in the short term as unit losses have a nasty habit of being heavier than expected.

oh goodness. I uploaded to the upload thingie not the right place to pass file. Sorry! Fixing now. My brain was fried by the end. Will correct the link as well but if you downloaded it please make sure to download the correct one to play from. I think Mark hasn't seen it yet so hopefully safe. :/

Here's what it gave me as the turn log session:

Reference number: 6524
Game: C-IV SGOTM 04
Your team: Geezers
Your name: Jenarie
Date submitted: 2007-03-18
Software Version: WL 2.08
Game date: 200 AD
Player race: Viking
Firaxis score: 509
Session time played (hh:mm:ss): 04:06:48
Total time played (hh:mm:ss): 15:24:22
Game status: Incomplete
Submitted save: Geezers AD-0200.CivWarlordsSave
Renamed file: Geezers_SG004_AD0200_01.CivWarlordsSave

Here is your Session Turn Log from 50 AD to 200 AD:

Turn 170, 50 AD: Taoism has been founded in Bombay!
Turn 170, 50 AD: Victor Hugo (Great Artist) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 171, 65 AD: Genghis Khan converts to Confucianism!

Turn 172, 80 AD: You have discovered Currency!
Turn 172, 80 AD: Chichen Itza has been built in a far away land!
Turn 172, 80 AD: St. Peter (Great Prophet) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 173, 95 AD: Christianity has been founded in a distant land!

Turn 174, 110 AD: Gandhi has completed The Hanging Gardens!

Turn 176, 140 AD: A Jungle has grown near El Dorado-sala!

Turn 177, 155 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Iron Sheep!
Turn 177, 155 AD: The Parthenon has been built in a far away land!

Turn 178, 170 AD: The enemy has been spotted near El Dorado-sala!
Turn 178, 170 AD: Yayoi has grown to size 4

Turn 179, 185 AD: The enemy has been spotted near El Dorado-sala!
Turn 179, 185 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Nidaros!
Turn 179, 185 AD: You have trained a Axeman in Nidaros. Work has now begun on a Trading Post.
Turn 179, 185 AD: Iron Sheep will grow to size 2 on the next turn
Turn 179, 185 AD: Aristotle (Great Scientist) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 180, 200 AD: The enemy has been spotted near El Dorado-sala!
Turn 180, 200 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Nidaros!

Correcting link in previous post as well.

REALLY appreciate the constructive comments and will respond tomorrow when I'm more awake. It's 4am here now so past my bedtime. :)

Good work, Jenarie.:goodjob:

I got it and will play most likely still this evening. I think Khan has a serious problem.:D I plan to dow next turn when the axe, sword and cat have joined our attacking party. Defensively we should also be in a good position to fend off all of Khan's units. Anyway I think we will see just see some spare Keshiks.

Good to see our power graph spiking up. How do we think the other teams are going?

I am looking forward to knocking back Khan a bit. It seems that he is all we are thinking about at the moment and it would be good to be able to get back to thinking about techs and exploring and winning this SGOTM.

Good to see our power graph spiking up. How do we think the other teams are going?

I am looking forward to knocking back Khan a bit. It seems that he is all we are thinking about at the moment and it would be good to be able to get back to thinking about techs and exploring and winning this SGOTM.

It appear that CRC went on the warpath a little earlier than us and looks as if they kept the cities they captured. Having read their exploits in SGOTM2, I am guessing they did not waited for the build up we have at the moment. But their culture also started to go up a little faster than ours. So may be they rushed some of the Libs and may be had religion spread to them too.

Looks as if Chokonuts lost a city to that first Indian attack.

Our power graph looks very good at the moment and should stay up. I think we need to build a settler via chopping in Iron-Sheep to build a commerce city after razing Samarquand and Chechelis.

Maybe it is due to the level this game is being played on but I've never had a game where spending so much gpt for military still had me bottom of the power graph. I don't think we can AFFORD a major war with Khan. We DO need to go to war and take out several cities to slow him down but then I think we need to move whatever troops we have leftover back inside our borders and build up our cities. We'll have courthouses available soon so I'd like to see courthouses in all our cities so that we can afford more research. I'd also put libraries in more cities although most likely not all. I'd like to get our commerce city up and going asap as well.

When we take out Karakorum his capital will move to Old Sarai. I think we should leave it there... it is far from most of his other cities (except the others I think are on our raze list) which will give him more money problems and also it is out of our way. If we have enough troops left after Karakorum I think Turfan would be nice to raze as well since it has all those nice cottages developed. Samargand/Chehalis both need to raze so we can build our "Commerce city." Other then those four I don't think it really matters a lot which get left left - unless it looks like he might get the culture to hook up his iron in which case Ning-hsia needs to go as well.

I sort of felt that building units late in my turnset was useless due to time it would take to get them to the front but thinking about it now I guess the new ones could start being funneled toward Samargand/Chehalis front instead of trying to join the ones already south.

If we can get research going decently, we aren't too far from our UU. That would get our power graph up without needing so many troops. Having such a huge army with so much of it outside our borders is killing the research.

Toward the end of my turnset I was almost hoping Khan WOULD declare because it is much easier to make up afterwards without the "you declared war on me" penalty. :)

Edit: Btw I'm not a great tactician I'm just tossing out thoughts when I mentioned specific cities - I'm not attached to any of it. I would like to see our economy addressed though in some way even if it is completely differently then what I was thinking. :)

I'm in a similar boat to Jenarie. I only manage to win on Monarch level about 25% of the time so I really haven't got the extra Monarch level strategies quite sorted out yet.

The main thing I would throw in at this point is that the "Financial" economy really kicks in when the cottages come on line. It really is quite dramatic the change that occurs, so I am not too worried about that because I can see the big pay rise is on its way eventually - and it will be big. Khan first, pay cheque next.

I would also like to remind about the gold we get during city capturing. That will sustain any short term issues we will have to deal with. As for the Court houses, we will need to build a few stratergically as needed. If the city is a money maker, some times it is better to build commerce multipliers instead. Either ways we will need to build the FP sooner than later.

Good points, Htadus. The cash from Khan's cities will be a big help at this point. And courthouses are only really needed in those cities that have the highest maintenance costs.

No idea what time, "this evening" is for markh, but it must be soon. It's amazing how much action can occur in 10 turns.

I am looking forward to knocking back Khan a bit. It seems that he is all we are thinking about at the moment and it would be good to be able to get back to thinking about techs and exploring and winning losing this SGOTM.

Corrected your spelling. ;) Seriously though, I do agree with the sentiments. I'm acutely conscious that our tech rate is lagging.

Yes, a financial centre would be a nice thing to have soon. No point being Financial without anything to be Financial with.

:goodjob: One of the good things to come out of this war should be some additional workers to build all those cottages. I think a fair amount are around the gem cities.

Maybe it is due to the level this game is being played on but I've never had a game where spending so much gpt for military still had me bottom of the power graph.

The power screen can be quite misleading. After all Khan is ranked quite a bit higher than us and we know that his forces aren't that strong. Barracks and the walls that Khan has around several of his cities (I count at least five) increase the power rating disproportionately.

I don't think we can AFFORD a major war with Khan. We DO need to go to war and take out several cities to slow him down but then I think we need to move whatever troops we have leftover back inside our borders and build up our cities. We'll have courthouses available soon so I'd like to see courthouses in all our cities so that we can afford more research. I'd also put libraries in more cities although most likely not all. I'd like to get our commerce city up and going asap as well.

I think courthouses should only go in those cities costing the most. They take quite a while to build. Granaries, libraries, markets and cottages are what I would like to concentrate on.

I sort of felt that building units late in my turnset was useless due to time it would take to get them to the front but thinking about it now I guess the new ones could start being funneled toward Samargand/Chehalis front instead of trying to join the ones already south.

True. Better to have a surplus, and subsequently disband older units, than too little. That tends to be a recipe for long wars.

The main thing I would throw in at this point is that the "Financial" economy really kicks in when the cottages come on line. It really is quite dramatic the change that occurs, so I am not too worried about that because I can see the big pay rise is on its way eventually - and it will be big. Khan first, pay cheque next.

You'll get no argument from me.

When we take out Karakorum his capital will move to Old Sarai. I think we should leave it there... it is far from most of his other cities (except the others I think are on our raze list) which will give him more money problems and also it is out of our way. If we have enough troops left after Karakorum I think Turfan would be nice to raze as well since it has all those nice cottages developed. Samargand/Chehalis both need to raze so we can build our "Commerce city." Other then those four I don't think it really matters a lot which get left left - unless it looks like he might get the culture to hook up his iron in which case Ning-hsia needs to go as well.

The problem with leaving Khan Old Sarai and Ning-hsia is that he'll just spam settlers and recolonise his former land unless we get cities settled quickly. Since we don't particularly want too many more cities for a while I think that means we need to exile Khan to Tiflis. Even then he's likely to start sending out galleys.

IBT : Nidaros : Trading Post -> Trireme

1) 215AD : move units into position

Demand 90 gold from Khan, but he rejects

IBT : very nice Khan moves two of his Keshiks into range of positioned spears !

2) 230AD : dow on Khan

The spear of the blocking team kills the first Keshik and a cottage is pillaged for 7 gold

IBT : a Keshik kills the axe of the assault team at Karakorum
a Keshik at El Do retreats after attacking a spear
a Mongol archer moves in at Iron Sheep

Nidaros : Trireme -> spear
Upsala : catapult -> sword

3) 245AD : the spear at El Do kills the retreated Keshik and the area is safe again

our raiding party reaches Karakorum

IBT : another Keshik kills the spear of the blocking team
Iron Sheep : barracks -> spear

4) 260AD : Karakorum is bombarded from 50% to 28%

IBT : a chariot is killed by a Keshik

5) 275AD : axe kills the Mongol archer at Iron Sheep
Karakorum is down to 6%

IBT : a wounded Keshik appears at Upsala

Nidaros : spear -> sword

6) 290AD : defenses are down at Karakorum
two cats die on the attack
three swords and 1 chariot kill 3 archers and a Keshik and Karakorum is history

IBT : we lose another chariot to a Keshik

Code of Laws -> polytheism

7) 305AD : kill the Keshik that killed our chariot

IBT : Upsala : sword -> cat

8) 320AD : spear kills the Keshik at Upsala

IBT : Nidaros : sword -> workboat

9) 335AD : destroy the pasture at Turfan, so no Keshiks for Khan anymore

IBT : polytheism -> priesthood

10) 350AD : moving units into position to Ortrar and Tabriz

I would let the swords at Ortrar heal and attack then. They are mostly now at CR2 and are healed in one respectively two turns. Khan should be able to build archers only now that the horses are pillaged, so our party in the South could wreck some heavoc. Maybe we should send a few cats there soon.

Eat iron, Khan!

Sounds like carnage, markh. I won't be able to look at the save until tomorrow morning. How did you feel the war went? It would seem you achieved the primary objectives of disabling his capital and his resources, while keeping our lands safe, so well done team.

Any other views, plans, questions before we move on?

Top Bottom