SGOTM 04 - Peanut

Okay, a few thoughts what to do:

Cancel gold for sheep and get wine for gold instead.
Don't do any demands ;) and also don't ask for help, if we should go up to pleased. Both increment the MADE_DEMAND_RECENT counter, even if rejected. We should try it only when we have a decent chance that it is fulfilled, maybe in 20 turns or so. We should be eligible for over 500g value. Techs w/o AI modifier (e.g. HBR would be more expensive) count 1.5 times beaker value.
We still don't know Genghis' land :(. Please, explore. I would really now do a quick scout for that, as our military should be better used to keep us save and for the next point.

I think we should go after the barb town in the north soon.

I would let Uppsala have the corn until it grows to 4 (8 turns) and can pop the granary. Then do a quick growth phase in Nidaros, while Uppsala works gems and sugar. The worker building now should cottage the grass for Nidaros before that.

After the worker, I would MM the capital for growth and commerce until it hits it's happy limit.
I would then rather like to see scientists instead of pop-rushing, to get a GS going.

There is a warrior in old sarai that can explore. I didn't explore earlier, as there were barbs about, and I didn't want to risk having pillaged tiles.

IIRC, GnH is at its happiness limit (for a few turns until the whip unhappiness expires), but this will be removed once we get the gems hooked-up (still about 8 turns at least....)

I presume we've agreed to complete compass before doing any more trades for techs?

We can trade for wines, so there is one more happy to get immediately.

I don't know who all agreed to wait to for compass ;). I suggested it, but other tactics are also possible. We could trade now for one tech and war with India, to make sure we don't get problems with any wars.

We could trade for all three techs with MC. There is enough gift in this trade that Genghis may go to pleased then already, which would make us also safer.

[...] Now you just have to do the work! [...]
Indeed. :lol: Fourteen months on a tight scedule... :cringe:

I am very much looking forward to it, actually. Especially from October onwards, when we'll tune the speechrecognition part. The perfect blend of research and making money. :thumbsup:

I have to ask for a skip here, guys. I thought I could fit in a couple of turns today, but that didn't happen and I need this weekend to clear some of the backlog here at home... Sorry.

OK, I guess I am up then. Will look at the save a bit later today and post a plan. Any input you want to give me at this stage? I have read the things discussed.

OK the following are taken from plans deiscussed earlier:
Cancel Gold for Sheep and get Wine.
No demands during my turn set
Take Barb town in the north
Run Capital for growth and commerce and get scientists working there
Let Uppsala use corn until size 4 then rush Granary

The only thing I would like additional comments on are the trade options:
3 Techs for MC
or 1 tech (if so which) and War.

Will play later toady if we have an agreement or early tomorrow.

I would now wait for compass ( a little cheaper than MC ) and trade the 3 techs for that. Then I would research priesthood (should be only 2-3 turns).
Then look what trade options we have (maybe something besides monarchy shows up).

Turn log

1 – 610BC
GroundnutHill Worker -> Axeman

2 – 595BC
Nada

3 – 580BC
Great Lighthouse built in a distant land.

4 – 565BC
GroundnutHill Axeman -> Axeman

5 – 550BC
Compass researched, started on Priesthood.
Traded Compass for the three techs. Genghis is unwilling to part with maths.
Stonehenge built in a distant land.

6 – 535BC
Nada

7 – 520BC
Priesthood researched, Machinery next.

8 – 505BC
GroundnutHill Axeman -> Harbour
Rush Granary in Uppsala.

9 – 490BC
Uppsala Granary -> Library

10 – 475BC
Nada

11 – 460BC
Barb Archer wound a Chariot, postponing the attack on Barb Town by another two turns.

12 – 445BC
Nada

13 – 430BC
Sarmatin captured, 84 gold!
2 Axemen die but both defending archers are severely wounded so they quickly perish at the hands of the Chariots.

14 – 415BC
Forest grows on hill south of GnH.
My wife bumps into me when I am about to move the Warrior into the Forest S of Pigs so he ends up in G-Hill instead… Is this something that could jeopardize our marriage? Well the warrior will not be in position to bust the fog on the turn the settler arrives there so I guess we have a situation that is not that good.

15 – 400BC
Move next to Old Sarai, and have now explored all of Mongolia.

16 – 385BC
GroundnutHill Harbour -> Axeman

After Action Report

Stop here. It feels like a good point to stop for discussions and a hand over.

Machinery in 8 turns.
We have Sarmatin and it will be online next turn so we can discuss any build plans there.
Groundnut Hill just finished building a harbour. It has 12 turns to go until the GS is ready.
Mongolia scouted.
Genghis is willing to part with either Monarchy or Maths for MC.

Forgot to take a screen dump but nothing much has happened to actually mandate a pic now i guess.

In game log:

Turn 126 (610 BC)
GroundnutHill begins: Axeman

Turn 127 (595 BC)

Turn 128 (580 BC)
GroundnutHill grows: 7
GroundnutHill finishes: Axeman

Turn 129 (565 BC)
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
Tech learned: Compass

Turn 130 (550 BC)
Research begun: Machinery
Tech learned: Meditation
Tech learned: Polytheism
Tech learned: Archery
Research begun: Priesthood

Turn 131 (535 BC)
Tech learned: Priesthood

Turn 132 (520 BC)
Research begun: Machinery
GroundnutHill grows: 8
GroundnutHill finishes: Axeman
Uppsala grows: 4

Turn 133 (505 BC)
GroundnutHill begins: Harbor
Uppsala finishes: Granary

Turn 134 (490 BC)
Uppsala begins: Library
Chariot defeats (0.60/4): Barbarian Archer

Turn 135 (475 BC)

Turn 136 (460 BC)

Turn 137 (445 BC)

Turn 138 (430 BC)
Axeman loses to: Barbarian Archer (1.74/3)
Axeman loses to: Barbarian Archer (0.48/3)
Chariot defeats (1.84/4): Barbarian Archer
Chariot defeats (4.00/4): Barbarian Archer
Captured Sarmatian (Barbarian)
Sarmatian begins: Worker

Turn 139 (415 BC)

Turn 140 (400 BC)
GroundnutHill grows: 9
GroundnutHill finishes: Harbor
Nidaros grows: 6

Turn 141 (385 BC)

I think we should trade for monarchy and revolt for HR, unless we want to chop a wonder, but I don't see us having a chance for any.
Sarmatian should go standard builds, granary first.
GNH may have to build a quick worker for Sarmatian, delaying the scientist.
Don't leave the tile NW of Nidaros empty :please:. Gandhi landing there would be a big problem.

Roster Status:

a space oddity - skipped
Wotan - Just Played
malekithe <-- You're Up!!
klarius
MailMan
civ_steve
ainwood

malekithe is up. space: give us a head's up when you may have some time available and we'll put you in.

Monarchy and HR sound pretty good; in that case would we want to use our first GS for an academy and research Optics by hand?

A trade for Math would allow us to lightbulb Optics and look for other trading partners. Not sure if the delayed HR and lack of early Academy are offset by earlier off-continent trading.

Ok, I've mostly got it. :) I'm at work right now, but I'll take a look this evening and report back with my plans.

I'm not seeing much immediate benefit to trading for monarchy and adopting HR. I'd prefer to continue the beeline to optics as swiftly as possible. This means trading for mathematics, continuing to run scientists in GNH, and then lightbulbing optics in 9 turns (~62&#37; chance). I'm not positive what would come next in the research order, but CoL seems like a decent choice (Conf. is currently unfounded, BTW). I'm open to other opinions on that, though.

GNH will finish its work on an axeman and then start a trireme. In 9 turns the trireme should turn into a caravel and I'll pop-rush it. The overflow will then likely be applied to a second caravel.

Nidaros will finish the forge and then start in on military production (axemen). I'm considering rushing a worker from here after growth in 8 turns. It's certainly not the best place to be rushing things, but we really need that extra worker and I anticipate GNH being tied up in more pressing tasks.

Uppsala will be rushing the library as soon as it can (7 turns by my calculations) and applying the overflow to a forge.

Sarmatian will indeed get started on a granary ASAP, which it will be able to rush after 9 turns of production, if I calculate correctly. After that, a library seems the most obvious choice.

Oh, and I plan to ensure our coastal gold mine is sufficiently defended from an Indian sneak attack. ;)

I still think lightbulbing optics is a waste. The scientist (if at all) will not come in time, so it doesn't save that many turns on optics. And optics is relatively cheap, so we are anyway not using the full potential of a scientist.
If you throw out the engineer to get a good scientist chance, we get the scientist in 17 turns (we can have a GP in 12 turns, but with a pretty big engineer probability).
We should be able to get optics in 8+13 (maybe 12) turns if we concentrate on commerce, by just researching it (note the 16 turns it tells now does not include the prerequisite bonus we get from machinery).

EDIT:
Nidaros shouldn't be pop-rushed. It's even now not at the happy limit and gets another 2 happy from the forge.
It can work the cottages it shares with GNH, while GNH can work coast for commerce.

For some strange reason I was thinking we'd have a Great person in 9 turns. That's obviously not true. I'm less inclined to lightbulb given that's the case. I'll sleep on it tonight and see how things look tomorrow.

Top Bottom