1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 05 - Gypsy Kings

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

here's the test game...you'll need to change the file type back to .Civ4WorldBuilderSave

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/74689/Temujin.Civ4SavedGame

You'll enter it via the custom scenarios screen rather than loading a game.

Unfortunately, as I'm not good at WB, the land we'd explore with our scout is already revealed...but it still helps us determine the best scouting moves.

2. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

You ought not to give up control of that naming ... we might decide to call you "lia", in which case your title could be "Gypsy Princess" :lol:

Seriously, I think Th works as well as any for you.

Sounds like you play as slowly as I do! ;)

I would suggest "hw", for three reasons:

1. Why make me work for the shift key? :lol:

2. There are no upper case letters in hellwitch. If it were HellWitch, I'd say use HW

3. We won't call you "hell" ... unless you goof up something! :lol:

dV

3. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

I have been trying to boil our starting options down to a few basic concepts that are somewhat independent of the map, but I don't seem to be getting responses to that ... so here goes again:

Do we agree that the capital will include the pig hill in the FC? Unless of course, we find some bonanza of resources in the fog that might move us.

If so, then the three sites in the attached screen are the reasonable choices, right (others mean we give up a forest to chop)? If there is seafood 3W 1N of settler start, then settling on the eastern forest might be considered.

I think we should be able to think through, at this time, whether we prefer seafood + pighill city to pighill + jungle hill city.

In seafood + pighill, do we mine or pasture the pigs? In the long run, pasture I think, but maybe mine in the short run?

Or are we better off settling 1SE of start on turn 2 if no clearly better option emerges ... after IW we mine (addition: jungle) hill, and we eventually pasture the pigs.

It comes down to whether we prefer hammers or food at the start. So what do folks think?

Early hammers or early food?

dV

Attached Files:

4. Thrallia

? is that the actual save?

Going from that screenshot, I'd prefer city #3..it has more food, more hammers, and more commerce(all long term) than city #1 and #2 do

actually, from your other questions, it appears that you WB'd a map to illustrate your questions to us.

The capital has to have the pigs...pigs on a hill is one of the best resources we could have for this start.

I would vote for seafood+pig hill...we mine the pighill and work the seafood, giving us higher commerce and production than we would have otherwise, thus allowing us to research a little bit faster than we would have otherwise.

I think we mine the hill as soon as we have a worker, not waiting till IW

as for whether we prefer early hammers or food in general...my answer to that will depend on how close our enemies are to us. If we can rush a neighbor, then hammers, by all means, but if we are isolated, or not close at all to a neighbor, then we should emphasize food...either way, we still research Mining>BW first, and we still want to settle seafood+pigs if possible, since that will give us both early food and early hammers.

5. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

Wouldn't it be better if we could discuss settling options after the scout has moved? Haven't we agreed on the scout move? Suppose there is no fish to NW, all this discussion would be void.

6. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

NOT THE ACTUAL SAVE, it is R1's test map. Sorry, didn't think that confusion would arise, but I can see now how it might!

Since I am not at the game, it is the screenshot I posted earlier, re-screenshot into paint and marked up.

I meant mine the jungle hill after IW, but was not clear. Problem with pighill + jungle hill is that mining pigs early means no food bonus.

dV

7. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

My thought is that if we were to decide that we prefered the combination of pighill and jungle hill to seafood and pighill, then the search for seafood is less critical, and we might avoid moves like settler to pighill which might delay settlement for 1 turn.

My view is that the more you can narrow the settling options a priori, the more well defined the exploring you need to do to chose among them, and the more precise the exploring moves at the start can be.

If the scout does not see fish, what does the settler do? If we think that seafood +pighill is the best, then he looks for seafood, I think. If we think that pighill + jungle hill is best, then maybe he just goes SE and founds on turn 1.

We can decide in theory which we prefer before we even start, which is one less thing to have to decide after the scout moves. So I am just trying to get a little head start on the decision process.

All that having been said, yes, it also can wait until after the scout moves ;)

And when has mootness ever stopped me from talking! :lol:

dV

8. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Deity

Never of course!! The place we MAY not be able to see after the scout moves is the area N by NW of the hill. If we don't like what the scout sees after he moves, we move the settler to the hilltop. If we take a look from the hilltop and see seafood, then we consider settling NW of the pig hill. If no seafood we can move back S.

But I agree with C63's point.

The roster order is

Lehm - UP NOW
    Conquistador 63 - on deck
    hellwitch - in the hole
    da_Vinci - waiting
    Thrallia - waiting
    g_storrow - waiting
    Scout 214 - waiting
    Ronnie1 - waiting
    If there are install problems this first go round, please let me know. This will be the "Lineup" for the rest of the game. When your turn comes up, You have 24 hrs to post a "got it" message and an additional 48 hrs in which to play the turnset. We are going to start with ~10 turn sets this first round. If we are close to discovering a tech maybe you play 1-2 extra turns.

I think Lehm should make the scout moves NW-NW and SAVE GAME and post a screenshot before we decide to move the settler.

9. Thrallia

lol so I get to clean up any messes dV makes? ;)

10. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Far from it! I have to set you up so that even a child could not mess it up! ;) :mischief:

dV

11. Lehm

Lehm Gypsy Jester

I made the NW NW move. How do I post the screenshot? Sorry , but I´ve never done that before...

12. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Any support for making the one NW move and posting a shot of that? Maybe only if the move 1NW reveals something we need to think about. Value is that it allows us to reconsider second scout move.

In any event, select the settler (without moving him) before taking the screenshot, as that let's us see the blue circles, which might influence where we look for resources.

dV

13. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

OK, first, if you didnt' select the settler, why not do that before we make this screenshot ( I always thought that the German "machen ein Photo" made more sense then the literal translation of the English to German of "nehmen ein Photo" ;) ), so we can see the blue circles.

There may be an in-game screenshot function, but a generic way for all programs is this:

With the screen displayed that you want to capture, use the print screen function on your computer. It is usually using shift or function key plus the key labelled Pr sc or prt sc or similar. Looks like nothing happened, right? But the screen image is now copied to your clipboard.

Miminize Civ 4 if you can. Otherwise you may have to close it. Then open paint.

Go to edit menu, click paste ... the screenshot should paste into paint. Now go to file, save as, pick JPEG file type (XP wants to default to bitmap, which is a huge file and won't upload), name it SGOTM 05 m1 scout or sometning, maybe make a folder in my pictures called SGOTM 05.

Hope to see the shot soon! :goodjob:

Hmm ... that is how you make/take it ... to upload it, I use the manage attachments function in the reply window, if that is what you were asking. See the button for it below the reply text box.

dV

14. Lehm

Lehm Gypsy Jester

I hope you will read my question dV now that you´re online at the moment

15. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Ich bin sein diener! ;)

That's about the best I can muster from my old days of high school German! :lol: ) Question already answered.

dV

16. Lehm

Lehm Gypsy Jester

I know how to make a screenshot or "Foto machen" :)lol: ) but I don´t know how I can upload the screenshot or what ever. When I click on the "insert image" - button it says: " please enter the URL of your image.

What does that mean? It starts with http:\...

but ????

17. Lehm

Lehm Gypsy Jester

Ich bin sein Diener - I am his servant

I guess you wanted to say: "I am your servant" right?

That would be: "Ich bin dein Diener" oder "Ich bin ihr Diener" ;)

18. Lehm

Lehm Gypsy Jester

Does it work?

Attached Files:

19. Lehm

Lehm Gypsy Jester

Mh, why does it look so ugly?

20. Lehm

Lehm Gypsy Jester

hopefully it is better now...

Attached Files: